: Sound System

leftoverture
05-01-05, 09:13 AM
Now that my Coupe is running good, I have a question not related to the mechanical tidbits. . .does anyone have experience upgrading the stereo system on these older DeVilles? Mines an 83. I'm not after a thumping, subwoofer equipped, mega system. I just want a decent in dash AM/FM/CD unit and speakers that will get good reception and sound better than the 22 year old stock unit and I don't want to spend too much. I've been looking at www.customautosound.com (http://www.customautosound.com), they make stereos that simulate the look of the stock system, but the in dash units seem to all be cassette decks and require a separate CD changer (more $$$$). If I go with a modern deck (such as the Pioneer DEH-P3700) will I have to cut the dash all up? Do they make in dash mounting kits and wiring harness kits for these cars?
Also, what size are the stock speakers? I'd appreciate hearing any of your experiences as to the best way to go.
Thanks.

sonofernest
05-02-05, 01:33 AM
i know for a fact that they make wiring harnesses (check wallmart, they have them the cheapest). As far as a dash kit, the ones you buy look shitty, if you're handy at all with power tools you can make one. in my car i used plywood to make up the space between the receiver and dash opening (receiver screws into wood, wood screws into dash opening) and finished it off with sheet aluminum. Its sturdier, looks better, and was cheaper than buying the kit.

I have a pictures on my cardomain site:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/765787

leftoverture
05-02-05, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yours looks good. But was your stock unit the old two knob like mine is? Did you have to cut the dash?

sonofernest
05-07-05, 08:26 PM
no, the stock one was a newer unit. I had to cut a hole inside the dash b/c the RCA cables for the amp stuck out to far and the reciever wouldn't slide all the way in.

leftoverture
05-08-05, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the response. I guess I wouldn't mind if I have to cut something behind the dash that's gonna be hidden, I just don't want to cut up the front of the dash. I was hoping somone else would have experience with an older Caddy like mine to share. At least I found the sticky with speaker sizes, that helps a lot.
Now if anyone has experience with the late 70's/early 80's DeVilles, I'm waiting to hear from you!

AElayyat
05-08-05, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the response. I guess I wouldn't mind if I have to cut something behind the dash that's gonna be hidden, I just don't want to cut up the front of the dash. I was hoping somone else would have experience with an older Caddy like mine to share. At least I found the sticky with speaker sizes, that helps a lot.
Now if anyone has experience with the late 70's/early 80's DeVilles, I'm waiting to hear from you!

In my 85 Fleetwood Brougham (RWD), the dash is the same as your DeVille. I got a Pioneer DEH-6500 am/fm/cd head unit and a pair of Pioneer 3-way 4x6 speakers in the dash and Rockford Fosgate 2-way 6x9 speakers in the rear, and a pair of JL's in the trunk. I had my equipment installed at Best Buy, and the guy overthere had some experience with these bodystyle Caddys, so he knew what he was doing and he did do a good job. As the other member suggested the wire harness for the aftermarket stereo is available at just about any autopart stores or stereo shops.

The thing here is that if you want a din style cd player in your caddy, you will have to do some cutting of the center section of the dash. The required cuts will be to knock out the two squares where the knobs for the old radio was. So by doing this you will have 1 rectangular shaped cut in the center of your dash. To mount the new cd player you will use the supplied sleeve and it secures in place with tabs and the cd player slides into that sleeve. For this car you will not need a dash kit, only the harness.

I hope this gives you something to go off of, if I you were not able to understand something I worded let me know so that I could clear things up. Good luck with your install.

leftoverture
05-09-05, 07:38 AM
Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Two more questions: the 4x6 dash speakers - do the panels on top of the dash just pop out and the speaker can be installed or did they have to take the whole dash apart? Also, you said you put 6x9s in the back. The sticky on this site says the factory speakers are 4x10s, is this correct? Did you have to modify to get the 6x9s in there?
Thanks for your help. I hope to get started on this within a week.

AElayyat
05-09-05, 06:08 PM
Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Two more questions: the 4x6 dash speakers - do the panels on top of the dash just pop out and the speaker can be installed or did they have to take the whole dash apart? Also, you said you put 6x9s in the back. The sticky on this site says the factory speakers are 4x10s, is this correct? Did you have to modify to get the 6x9s in there?
Thanks for your help. I hope to get started on this within a week.

I forgot to mention that the harness for the speakers are also available, so don't cut the wires, just get a set of harness for the speakers.

First issue is the 4x6 speakers up front are installed by removing the dash pad/top, which is simple to do. Don't try to pry the speaker grills off because that will just result in a broken speaker grill which is part of the dash pad/top.

Next are the 6x9's in the rear. A lot of people think that the rear speakers are 4x10 for some reason that I do not know, but the speakers in the back ARE 6x9. Those take 30 seconds to take out and another 30 seconds to install. Open up your trunk, get in there and look at the way they are attached, no screws or anything like that, just pop them in and you are good to go.

leftoverture
05-09-05, 08:34 PM
Thanks again. Great info. How do I remove the dash pad/top?

AElayyat
05-09-05, 10:17 PM
Thanks again. Great info. How do I remove the dash pad/top?

No problem.

To remove the dash top:
1) Take out the 4 screws (I think it is 4 of them, 2 in each vent) located in the front windshield defroster vents.

2) Open the front driver's side door and front passenger's side door (if it's a Coupe DeVille just open the doors). Now remove the visible phillips screw on the side of the dash pad/top, right above the horizontal line (1 on each side).

3) Above the speedometer cluster there is a 8mm (I think) screw and another one just like it that you will reach when you open the golve box. You don't have to remove the glove box linner, there is an access hole on the top side of the linner. To get at this one you will need an extention, and be careful not to drop this screw, because it is a pain in the ass to get out.

4) Get in the middle of the front seats and gently pull the dash top toward you (the rear of the car), then pull it out of the way. It will come out as 1 piece, the speaker grills are attached and so are the defroster vents.

Good luck.

leftoverture
05-10-05, 07:14 AM
Thanks! I don't think I could have better directions. If all goes according to plan, I'll be installing this weekend - can't wait to hear the difference!

AElayyat
05-10-05, 04:29 PM
Good luck with the install, let us know how it turned out. I know when I replaced the 1989 Sony Tape player (came with the car when my pop bought it) and stock speakers, for the Pioneer Head Unit, and front speakers, w/ fosgates in the rear, the sound was sooooooo much better.

leftoverture
05-14-05, 08:30 AM
Next are the 6x9's in the rear. A lot of people think that the rear speakers are 4x10 for some reason that I do not know, but the speakers in the back ARE 6x9. Those take 30 seconds to take out and another 30 seconds to install. Open up your trunk, get in there and look at the way they are attached, no screws or anything like that, just pop them in and you are good to go.

Well, it turns out mine rear ones are 4x10. I think the difference is that I have a Coupe Deville and you have the sedan. No biggie. I see what you mean by being about as easy to install as they could be. I'm going to get the rest of it done this weekend and I'll let you know how it turns out.

AElayyat
05-15-05, 04:15 AM
Well, it turns out mine rear ones are 4x10. I think the difference is that I have a Coupe Deville and you have the sedan. No biggie. I see what you mean by being about as easy to install as they could be. I'm going to get the rest of it done this weekend and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sorry about that, but all of the RWD (and most of the FWD) Cadillacs I have dealt with in the past have 6x9 speakers in the rear. So you have the front and head unit installed then?? Let us know how everything turns out, and good luck.

leftoverture
05-16-05, 03:06 PM
Well, got the stereo all installed in my CDV. All Pioneer system, DEH2700 head unit, 4x10 rear coaxials, 4x6 front three ways. Sounds awesome (especially compared to the 22 year old factory unit). Installation was relatively painless. Thanks for all the help I received here!

AElayyat
05-16-05, 07:18 PM
Well, got the stereo all installed in my CDV. All Pioneer system, DEH2700 head unit, 4x10 rear coaxials, 4x6 front three ways. Sounds awesome (especially compared to the 22 year old factory unit). Installation was relatively painless. Thanks for all the help I received here!

Good to hear that everything went nice and smooth. Now all you need are a pair of subs for the trunk.