: Oil leak?..Not oil pan!

Caddynut
05-01-05, 09:11 AM
:hmm: I have oil leak "pooling" under the intake manifold. Any common problems?

growe3
05-01-05, 12:25 PM
First I would suspect the power steering, if you were not losing any fluid from it, then the next source would be head gasket seepage. I had some head gasket seepage before I repaired mine; it seeped from the top corner of the right bank, near the power steering pump.

If it is the head gasket it is usually more of a nuisance than I real problem. Unless you can actually see it flow I would not worry too much. Once a week, stuff a rag down there to absorb and remove the oil/fluid. Soon you will know if the puddle took a few days or a few months to build up the pool.

Do not attempt to tighten the head bolts to try and apply more pressure to the head gasket, doing so will in all likelihood strip the head bolt hole. If the head gasket is seeping, it will do so until a new gasket is put in place.

-George

Caddynut
05-01-05, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Caddynut
05-01-05, 09:14 PM
Someone just told me there may be a sending unit or sensor under the intake manifold. Is that true?

Ranger
05-01-05, 10:23 PM
I think the coolant tempurature sensor is under there if memory serves me correctly.

growe3
05-02-05, 09:17 AM
There are no sensors under the intake manifold. The starter motor is mounted under the intake otherwise it is an open void.

-George

Caddynut
05-03-05, 11:19 PM
Is there any place oil can leak from the intake manifold or bottom of manifold?

growe3
05-03-05, 11:29 PM
Is there any place oil can leak from the intake manifold or bottom of manifold?

No. The intake manifold is just a large plenum chamber; no water, or oil through it, nor does the intake act as a "stopper" for any coolant or oil distribution system.

-George

mechanix
05-04-05, 04:49 PM
There is an anti-knock sensor under the intake manifold, but it is not screwed into an oil passage - just raw aluminum. That's the only thing under there besides the starter. Head gaskets are the only possible source for an oil leak that I can think of.

Caddynut
05-04-05, 06:58 PM
Thanx!!!

growe3
05-04-05, 08:55 PM
There is an anti-knock sensor under the intake manifold.....

That would depend on the year. On the 93 and 94 Northstar there is nothing under the intake manifold (except the starter). The knock sensor is on the right, front side of the block.

On later years, I'm not sure when the change took place, the knock sensor was repositioned under the intake manifold.

-George

Ranger
05-04-05, 09:45 PM
There is an anti-knock sensor under the intake manifold,
I guess that must be what I was thinking of. I knew I remembered Bbob saying there was a sensor of some sort under there.

mechanix
05-04-05, 10:27 PM
Thanx George! I learned something else new. I ran out and looked at a '94 STS motor I have sitting on the shop floor and sure enough, it's just like you said. That anti-knock sensor is on the right front of the block. I'll be damned! *lol*