: Dry Nitrous

drmustang
04-30-05, 08:14 PM
I'm ready to purchase a dry nitrous kit for my 05. Researched and learned some things on the Corvette boards. Considering about a 75 shot/pill into the airbox. Considering the TNT-F1, NOS 5177 or Nitrous Express 20920-10. Have any of you guys tried this or have knowledge about these kits used in the lower(75 shot) ranges. Does a less than 100 shot require any timing retarding. Looking to window switch on @ 3,000 and off around 5,900. Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Barak
04-30-05, 09:20 PM
I'm also going to install a dry kit. I'll run NOS's universal kit. If my Trans Am is any indication, 100 shot should be just fine. I think the LS6 has bigger injectors than the LS1 also.

ctsvinman
05-01-05, 02:12 AM
I used the 5177 kit on my SS LS1 camaro, do a search by my user name, I remember about a month or so ago I replied to another NOS post and I listed a lot of important details.

make sure you don't make yourself "too visable" on this board if you do NOS. if you do have a NOS related warranty issue (bent push-rod because you missed a shift..... or something like that), you don't want to GM web page Nazi's to black list you from your posts on this page. Trust me, it happened to some LS1 Camaro and TA guys who were rejected warranty work because of posts on the web pages. At least that's what they said..... but I say, be careful no matter what. If you have NOS questions after your install, create a new user name and be stealth.:lildevil:

VinMan out....

drmustang
05-01-05, 08:02 AM
I used the 5177 kit on my SS LS1 camaro, do a search by my user name, I remember about a month or so ago I replied to another NOS post and I listed a lot of important details.

make sure you don't make yourself "too visable" on this board if you do NOS. if you do have a NOS related warranty issue (bent push-rod because you missed a shift..... or something like that), you don't want to GM web page Nazi's to black list you from your posts on this page. Trust me, it happened to some LS1 Camaro and TA guys who were rejected warranty work because of posts on the web pages. At least that's what they said..... but I say, be careful no matter what. If you have NOS questions after your install, create a new user name and be stealth.:lildevil:

VinMan out....Did you retard the timing 1 or 2 degrees with the 5177 kit. Some of the posts Ive seen idicate the need to do that but I don't know if it is necessary with only a 75 shot. I'm guess you would need a hand held or some kind of programer to do that. The Predator was able to do that stuff on my 03 Cobra.

ctsvinman
05-01-05, 03:58 PM
I did nothing with the timing. Also, my 98 SS had larger injectors vs the 99 & 00's during those early LS1 days. I ran a 100HP dry shot and really had no problems, besides me missing a shift real bad.... :bonkers: .... once and bending a pushrod.

From multiple posts on this page the V's are set up VERY rich on programming from the factory, that's you best friend when running NOS. You should have to do nothing besides setting the window switch and an RMP limiter..... then get ready for some fun because there is no feeling like NOS once it hits...:sneaky: Superchargers and Turbo's come on and build power throughout the RMP range, but NOS is instant.

Definately go search by my name and find my post if you have not done already, I list the Pro's & con's and ins & outs of NOS. Bottle pressure is one of the most important factors when running NOS

Enjoy

VinMan out.....

V-seriesTech
05-02-05, 08:40 AM
I did nothing with the timing. Also, my 98 SS had larger injectors vs the 99 & 00's during those early LS1 days. I ran a 100HP dry shot and really had no problems, besides me missing a shift real bad.... :bonkers: .... once and bending a pushrod.

From multiple posts on this page the V's are set up VERY rich on programming from the factory, that's you best friend when running NOS. You should have to do nothing besides setting the window switch and an RMP limiter..... then get ready for some fun because there is no feeling like NOS once it hits...:sneaky: Superchargers and Turbo's come on and build power throughout the RMP range, but NOS is instant.

Definately go search by my name and find my post if you have not done already, I list the Pro's & con's and ins & outs of NOS. Bottle pressure is one of the most important factors when running NOS

Enjoy

VinMan out.....

You guys are crazy for preferring DRY over WET. Yes, you can use dry, but with a limit. That would be 100 to 125 on a stock fuel pump. Yes, I know, I know you had it on your F-body(so do a few of my friends but, their nowhere near as fast as my friends that spray the wet, and they know it) And for comparisons sake, a "100hp" shot of dry nitrous would be about 70 to 80hp to the wheels. A "100hp" WET shot would be just that, 100hp or more, to the wheels. It's been proven over and over again on the dyno. Plus, the wet shot gives you fuel enrichment(why risk it by thinking your car runs rich from the factory, so it must be ok to spray it???).

I would recommend the RPM activated switch(window switch),..nice insurance.

I'm not a nitrous wizard by far but, i've hooked it up to more cars then I can remember, from C5's, to mustangs, to f-bodies....

Do what you'd like, it's gonna make power...just not as much.

The dry is the easier way out but, on LS1/2/6's I think wet is the way to go.

Barak
05-02-05, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the input V-SeriesTech. I do prefer dry over wet for several reasons. One is because of simplicity; two is because of ease of stealthiness under the hood; and three, and most controversial, is safety. If the fuel solenoids don't open, my chances of doing damage are very high. With a dry kit, I don't have to worry about fuel solenoids opening or not, as the MAF compensates very well. I do have an A/F ratio switch just in case though, along with a window switch. For the most power wet is always the way to go no matter what engine.

V-seriesTech
05-02-05, 05:30 PM
Thank you for the input V-SeriesTech. I do prefer dry over wet for several reasons. One is because of simplicity; two is because of ease of stealthiness under the hood; and three, and most controversial, is safety. If the fuel solenoids don't open, my chances of doing damage are very high. With a dry kit, I don't have to worry about fuel solenoids opening or not, as the MAF compensates very well. I do have an A/F ratio switch just in case though, along with a window switch. For the most power wet is always the way to go no matter what engine.

werd

HDMLNIUM
05-02-05, 07:11 PM
I have to agree with V-seriesTech on this one, wet will be the way I go when I do it. I have run it in a couple cars and in a couple trucks, wet is the way to go. A 100 wet shot brought my Denali from 14.4's on just the motor to 12.7's on the 100 wet shot. I don't see you gaining any where near that much on a dry shot..:helpless:
As long as you run a window switch and don't spray before 3000 rpm's and only on full throttle you will love a wet shot. Have the window switch shut off the nitrous and fuel a couple hundred rpm's before you shift, that way if you blow the shift you are not going to hurt the motor. Just my opinion, but I would much rather have a wet shot system. Nitrous can be addicting, you will keep bumping up the pill size looking for better .et's. This will become a problem fast on a dry shot, and I personally wouldn't spray over a 100 dryshot.
Wet all the way, add a bottle heater and a purge kit as well for a nice system..
A little purge shot from my Denali last fall..:lildevil:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/purge1.jpg
Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers and Cags Eliminator,
K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust....more mods coming..
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

ctsvinman
05-03-05, 12:34 AM
Hey V series Tech.... "You guys are crazy for preferring DRY over WET"...... :hmm:

I don't really see where Drmustang asked about my preference or where I made any comment on Dry vs Wet. His simple questions were in regards to a DRY kit and that happens to be what I had and what I have experience with.

If I had a choice and did not want a stealth look and did not want a system that could easily be taken off and re-installed for service work (been there, with the 98SS and bent pushrods, done that), then I would 100% go with a Wet system.

I won't be installing NOS on my V but If I did it would be a Wet system hands down. In the world of NOS, Wet is no doubt best, but dry is easier and those things worth having usually don't come easy in life......:thumbsup:

VinMan out.....

Barak
05-03-05, 02:16 AM
I have to agree with V-seriesTech on this one, wet will be the way I go when I do it. I have run it in a couple cars and in a couple trucks, wet is the way to go. A 100 wet shot brought my Denali from 14.4's on just the motor to 12.7's on the 100 wet shot. I don't see you gaining any where near that much on a dry shot..

I have a hard time believing that your 5000 pound Denali picked up over a second and a half with just a 100 shot. I'm amazed it ran 14.4 on just the "motor." What exactly do you mean by just motor?

I can't see a huge difference in power from a 100 shot wet to a 100 shot dry. The wet may be slightly more precise in terms of fuel metering which may warrant 10 hp. Then again the poor fuel distribution of a wet system may lose just as much power to a dry system.

V-seriesTech
05-03-05, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=HDMLNIUM]I have to agree with V-seriesTech on this one, wet will be the way I go when I do it. I have run it in a couple cars and in a couple trucks, wet is the way to go. A 100 wet shot brought my Denali from 14.4's on just the motor to 12.7's on the 100 wet shot. I don't see you gaining any where near that much on a dry shot..:helpless:
As long as you run a window switch and don't spray before 3000 rpm's and only on full throttle you will love a wet shot. Have the window switch shut off the nitrous and fuel a couple hundred rpm's before you shift, that way if you blow the shift you are not going to hurt the motor. Just my opinion, but I would much rather have a wet shot system. Nitrous can be addicting, you will keep bumping up the pill size looking for better .et's. This will become a problem fast on a dry shot, and I personally wouldn't spray over a 100 dryshot.
Wet all the way, add a bottle heater and a purge kit as well for a nice system..
A little purge shot from my Denali last fall..:lildevil:

" :lildevil: "

V-seriesTech
05-03-05, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=ctsvinman]Hey V series Tech.... "You guys are crazy for preferring DRY over WET"...... :hmm:

I don't really see where Drmustang asked about my preference or where I made any comment on Dry vs Wet. His simple questions were in regards to a DRY kit and that happens to be what I had and what I have experience with.

:helpless: Hey dude,....I think you took this the wrong way.:suspect:

HDMLNIUM
05-03-05, 09:14 AM
I have a hard time believing that your 5000 pound Denali picked up over a second and a half with just a 100 shot. I'm amazed it ran 14.4 on just the "motor." What exactly do you mean by just motor?

I can't see a huge difference in power from a 100 shot wet to a 100 shot dry. The wet may be slightly more precise in terms of fuel metering which may warrant 10 hp. Then again the poor fuel distribution of a wet system may lose just as much power to a dry system.

What I meant by just the motor was just that, no power adder.
My mods were;
Dynatech longtube headers with high flow cats
Corsa cat back exhaust
2600 stall converter
Superior shift kit and billet servos
Custom Cold air intake
Electric fans
ASP underdrive crank pulley
Westers 93 octane hot tune
Thats it and it run 14.4's believe it or not...:yup:
Only adding a 100 shot (wet shot) brought her down to 12.7's
I will get the videos for you and you can also do a search on Silveradoss.com if you would like. No BS real times at the track with slips and videos to boot...:thumbsup: 5450lbs in race trim with driver and over 5900 for the street.:eek:
Here is a copy and paste from my post on AWDGM.com last October..

Well I just got back from the track, and reached my goal for tonight..http://sc.groups.msn.com/themes/R9c/pby/img/emoticons/emteeth.gif
Race weight of 5450 lbs.
100 shot of Nitrous..
2 best runs.
R/T... .594.......... .583
60'......1.717........ 1.740
330.....5.115........ 5.144
1/8......8.031........ 8.056
MPH....83.47........ 83.72
1000.....10.592...... 10.607
1/4.......12.764....... 12.769
MPH....103.45....... 103.92

I had another run but it spun hard out of the hole to a 1.979 60' and a 13.206 @ 103.25
It was a great night and I bettered my goal of 12.80 for the night.
Starting off with a full bottle of nitrous vrs. a half bottle makes a big difference. My bottle pressure was in the green for all three runs tonight, plus a couple quick blasts on the highway..http://sc.groups.msn.com/themes/R9c/pby/img/emoticons/emwink.gif

Bill-03-SD

I was wrong about my best (All motor pass) it was a;

60'........1.970
1/8.........8.949
MPH......76.73
1/4..........14.200
MPH.......92.32
and here are 2 more all motor passes;

Run 1..............Run 2
R/T... .546....... .539
60'.... 1.991......1.963
330... 5.807......5.788
1/8... 9.029......9.002
MPH.. 76.30......76.58
1/4.....14.283...14.248
MPH....92.44.....92.52

Oh, and just so you guys know a wet kit is very easy to hide as well, I passed tech every time and they never seen the nitrous on the truck..:sneaky:

Bill-05-V

V-seriesTech
05-03-05, 10:10 AM
I agree bill, you can easily hide a wet kit. My buddy Barry, has an M3,...goes into service ALL the time, to this day, the dealership HAS NOT FOUND HIS KIT, yet. Kinda funny.

Not to mention, NOS has a direct port system that replaces your injectors...that would easily be able to hide under the V's bigass intake plenum cover. not a new product either...

all it takes is an imagination.:yup:

ctsvinman
05-03-05, 10:54 PM
Vtech guy, no worries man, I didn't take it the wrong way. You said you guys are "Crazy" for preferring Wet vs Dry and that just wasn't what was said. No big deal seriously.

Now after all the NOS talk, you Jack-ass's..... have me thinking about it again :lildevil: I had talked myself out of it, but now I'm :banghead: about the possibility.

L8er

StealthV
05-03-05, 11:02 PM
All this talk about NOS - you guys are seriously freakin me out. GM never envisioned the use of that acronym in conjunction with the word Cadillac - ever. :lildevil:

V-seriesTech
05-04-05, 07:59 AM
Oh....awesome...then allow me, if you would, to further corupt the mind.:sneaky:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/videos/showphoto.php/photo/250/password//sort/2/cat/504/page/13

Yes...jamie(me) is a bastard.:lildevil:

Click the Z06/supra video