: Headlight adjustment 1997 Catera

ikarukeion
04-30-05, 10:44 AM
Hello Everybody:

I am continually amazed by the help given on this website. I am wondering if I might solicit help.
I need to adjust the headlights on the car, but I don't have the owners manual to see if there are any unusual things I need to do other than use the adjusting screws.
Thank you
Jeff

AllenPacla
04-30-05, 03:06 PM
One good indicator for a good leveling of the headlights is the graduated glass leveling device that is located at the lower inner corner of the headlights, right below the high beam bulbs(at the corner).You will notice a bubble inside that glass cylinder. The manual suggest that you keep the bubble approximately near the zero mark. Having the bubble past the zero and nearer the front means that headlights are aimed high, and vise versa. There are two adjusters on the headlights, the one closer to the highbeam bulb i believe is the vertical adjuster and the one that is farthers from the highbeam bulb is the horizontal(meaning adjusting the focus to the left and the right). Be carefull when turning the adjusting screws because getting the adjuster past the maximum might break the assembly inside and you will end up not being able to adjust your headlights anymore. If you feel some resistance, turn the screw very carefully. I am telling you, the plastic adjusting mechanism inside the headlight assembly is so brittle. Many of us here already has a broken adjuster.

ikarukeion
05-01-05, 12:06 PM
Thank you for taking time to reply
Jeff