: Tune Up

Stevens99
04-28-05, 10:27 AM
I'm new to the board, and I have a question about tunning up. I've got a 1999 SLS with almost 56,000 miles. A little about me and the car. I've always wanted an STS or SLS, just love the body style with perforamnce. I recently purchased this 1999 seville SLS with 53,000 miles, 2005 Deville chrome wheels, Fake rag top. The car was EXTREMELY well taken care of and It runs like a champ. But seems to have a little sputter at idle and always takes an extra second to start. I like a car/truck to start by almost breathing on the key if you know what I mean. Anyways...

Tunning up
New plugs/wires
New fuel filter
and what else?

Also, I've purchased new wheels for my SLS and I'm going to be selling MINT 2005 Deville chrome wheels if anyones interested.

Thanks for any help you can provide
Steven

EcSTSatic
04-28-05, 10:53 AM
Have you pulled the codes?
If you want to get a baseline future maintenance, drain and change the coolant and sealant. You could change the tranny fluid but if it looks and smells okay, it may be a waste of time.

Don't forget an air filter for you tuneup parts list. I'd wait on the plugs and wires until you do the other items. 56K isn't enough wear on them.

El Dobro
04-28-05, 11:02 AM
You may want to pull the plugs and look at them. Sometimes the platinum tips fall off the ground electrode. If they're ok, check and adjust the gap and put them back in.

JSMeloche
04-28-05, 11:07 AM
Do you have pictures of you Deville chrome rims? How big are they? 16 or 17?
thank you

Stevens99
04-28-05, 11:08 AM
Well I bought the car from a certified caddy dealer who changed the air filter, and trans. fluid, and flushed the radiator coolent already... and no codes are listed.

is there a PVC to change? In everything I've read, I haven't seen it listed. AND do they make a K&N filter for this car?

Steven

El Dobro
04-28-05, 11:16 AM
The PCV valve is on the back valve cover, on the passenger side of the car.

JimD
04-28-05, 11:23 AM

Also, I've purchased new wheels for my SLS and I'm going to be selling MINT 2005 Deville chrome wheels if anyones interested.

Are they 17"

Pix?

Stevens99
04-28-05, 11:28 AM
Sorry they Are 16" wheels...I'll take a picture of them if you like and email..

Edit:
Story on wheels is previous owner had some nice chrome wheels he took and put on the new 2005 deville. The deville had Chrome 16" wheels and put them on "My" SLS. They are nice wheels, Mint condition but I don't feel they fit the car right,.. so I'm purchasing new 5 spoke chrome wheels.

Picture of the wheels (not mine) but for reference
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43956&item=7969945963&rd=1

I'll sell them cheaper than this guys asking. $600 plus shipping

EcSTSatic
04-28-05, 11:50 AM
Well I bought the car from a certified caddy dealer who changed the air filter, and trans. fluid, and flushed the radiator coolent already... and no codes are listed.
Steven

I don't suppose you can confirm that they added sealant pellets or powder to the cooling system? I get real nervous when in doubt regarding something important like this.
Maybe a few WOTs will clear up the sputter.

Stevens99
04-28-05, 11:58 AM
lol What are sealant pellets?.. I guess I can't confirm that. As for WOT.. I've done a few of those...lol

She runs good other than the little sputter on idle
From what I'm reading, I may change the fuel filter and leave the rest alone for now.. thanks!

EcSTSatic
04-28-05, 12:14 PM
lol What are sealant pellets?.. I guess I can't confirm that.

Search this site for them. It's very important to use the sealant in the Northstar engine. Members have attributed leaks and bad head gaskets to not using it.

Ranger
04-28-05, 04:02 PM
Sealant tabs are to prevent leaks from porous casting or imperfect gasket surfaces. THey will not prevent nor cure a bad head gasket. You want "HDC" or 2 tubes of "G12BP" (powdered version of HDC). http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

zonie77
04-28-05, 08:29 PM
Check the fuel pressure regulator for the sputter. It is on the rear, drivers side, of the intake manifold and has a vacuum line running to it. Take off the vacuum line while it is running and see if any gas comes out . Let it run a minute or two. There should be no gas or fumes.

Stevens99
04-29-05, 08:24 AM
Thanks all, I will get the bars and add it just in case, and check the fuel pressure regulator. Sounds like good advice!.

Steven