: Do you have a Time-Sert kit, please help ?

CooL
04-28-05, 12:26 AM
Hi!
Can somone with a time-sert kit measuer and post all size of the stepdrill and the drillbushing ? The measuer most be very accurate and i want all measuerment in metric.

Thanks

haymaker
04-28-05, 08:43 PM
What is it that you are trying to do? Are you trying to install the time-serts without using the installation kit? I’ll help you if I can. If I know what it is you are trying to do. I have the standard size time-sert kit.

CooL
04-30-05, 11:20 AM
Haymaker, I shall install time-sert with time-sert kit but I'm doing an exact copy from the orginal. I living in Sweden and that kit cost over $600 with shipping from US. I already have the 20 insert , the drill fixture, tap and insert driver but without the groove. I have to manufacture the stepdrill and the drill bushing.
I have all the meassurment on everything but I want to confirm that I have right meassurment before I go further. I can do all this work in our workshop, so it won't cost me a anything http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
It would be nice to have all meassurment in metric, if possible.

haymaker
04-30-05, 03:43 PM
If you have the time-serts plus the other parts of the kit you indicated you’re already half way home toward figuring out the dimensions of the drill. The shoulder or flange O.D. of the time-sert dictates the minimum upper drill diameter plus the ID of the hole in the sleeve that is used with the drill fixture plate is only slightly larger than the upper portion of the drill. The time-sert tap (like any tap) has a recommended drill size biased on that tap’s diameter and thread pitch and this dictates the diameter of the lower portion of the drill. The flange of the time-sert has a taper or bevel that you may need to measure. All your drill depth dimensions should be biased on either the block deck or the top of the drill fixture plate’s sleeve (the sleeve that centers the drill in the head bolt cavity).

I’m posting a picture of a head bolt cavity model I built that may have some dimensions that will be helpful to you. This picture will appear in the “High Oil Consumption, Pulled Headbolts, Blown Head Gaskets, Bars Leak, Unstable Temps” thread of this forum.

I would love to post all the dimensions of the time-sert step-drill in this open forum but I’m sure I would be infringing on some patent or copy write laws so I guess you’ll need to use your detective skills and a little imagination to get the job done.

BTW, FYI the conversion numbers from the model are; 5.525” = 140.35 mm, 2.866” = 72.80 mm, 1.853” = 47.06 mm, 1.063” = 27.01 mm and 0.397” = 10.09 mm.

Send me a private message if you want.

CooL
05-02-05, 01:39 AM
Haymaker, thank's for the information. I tried to send you a private message but I did not have access to that page http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Please send your mailaddress to me so I can contact you in private!

My address is nalle@bredband.net