: Car Acting Up

carguy16
04-27-05, 11:05 PM
My car doesnt seeming to be running like it used too.

Accelerating, the tone sounds different to me. Today, leaving a parking lot and giving it moderate(little to half way at the most) it seemed rough, it stayed in 1st till 20, it seemed it didnt want to shift, which is not normal.

Then, pulling out, I straightened out and punched it at around 20 MPH, shifts down to 1st, then when 2nd gear comes in feels like a fat dog. :disappoin I dont have any codes, i just wonder what the hells going on.

On another note, 30 MPH seems to be the sweet spot for peak torque and horse power.

caddycruiser
04-27-05, 11:49 PM
My '93 has weird days, and sometimes weird weeks sometimes, but I try not to worry about it too much.

Case in point, last month when I was home, the car felt like a dog and felt like it lost a lot of power by the end of the week--weird, because it was like a silent jet the first few days. Only thing I could think of was that I put mid-grade gas in instead of regular, something that twice now has made the performance actually deteriorate.

Unless you're having real problems, I'd say it's just the weather/climate or something. :cool:

cmgrafmc
04-28-05, 12:22 AM
My mechanic adjusted my timing today along with the voltage of something-er-other with the carb? I know nothing. Point is, I'm having that same problem now. It's a bathtub when it shifts, not gaining power again until it hits higher RPMs. I had been running premium to avoid pinging but with the lower timing (10 degrees instead of 16) I'm using regular now, as of today. We'll see if the problem continues. Maybe you've got something like that going on with yours? No clue.

Katshot
04-28-05, 09:25 AM
Most likely a gas-related issue but if it doesn't seem to come back to normal, a "tune'up" might be in order. Could be anything from a plug to a plug wire, to an injector. Maybe even an O2 sensor starting to go? When's the last time you changed your fuel and air filters?

DopeStar 156
04-28-05, 01:48 PM
Make sure you have the right gas in there. Also I'd pick up a bottle of FI/Carb cleaner and add it to the gas. Might just be dirty injectors.

90Brougham350
04-28-05, 03:24 PM
I had similar problems in my 90 right when I bought it. 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner with about 5 gallons of gas took care of the problem right away! But, alot of the suggestions here are good, the weather could definately have an impact, especially if there was a low pressure system in the area.

Brian

carguy16
04-28-05, 04:10 PM
*High quality fuel injector cleaner added to a full tank of 93 about a month ago.
*Air Filter Replaced a month after I bought the car, still in good condition.
*Car is only ran on 87, the last 3 tank fuls have been 87.

How ever, fuel filters might be worth looking in to. I dont know if injector cleaner, or anytihng else could stir it up and enter the filter, or the filters could be really old...

As far as the tone, the tone to me seems quieter, the V8 rumble seems to be lower, muffled if you want to describe it in one word.

Under acceleration it doesnt shift, but I did remove my foot so the gas pedal was probably 1/8 depressed, but then I gave it more gas around 20 MPH and it was still in 1st, it would usually have shifted after I took my foot off the gas a little, under light throttle it shifts at 12 MPH.

caddycruiser
04-28-05, 07:13 PM
I was considering adding a fuel injector cleaner to mine, but never got around to it.

My '93 just hit 100k a few weeks ago, a milestone I really wanted to get a picture of myself, but my mother was actually driving it on the highway when it rolled over... :(

I think it could also use new plugs and wires, but I've yet to convince my father that it's a good idea--what a moron. Regardless, he just had the transmission fluid and filter changed earlier this week at the GM dealer we always go to, and I'm anxious to see if it shifts any different. He said he couldn't tell a difference, but when I last drove it, it seemed to be shifting funny every once in a while, which was why he had it done.

I'd just say it's a weather/gas-related issue going on with your car, and wouldn't worry about it too much more unless things don't ever go back to "normal".

carguy16
04-28-05, 09:48 PM
I did test drive a '93 with over 100k miles on it, I think it was 114,000 miles, while slowing down and down shifting it kinda clunked and you could feel it, but man, I thought that car was quiet as hell, even under wide open throttle, come to think of it even with the hood popped and being revved, that TBI engine was still quiet.

I was considering adding a fuel injector cleaner to mine, but never got around to it.

My '93 just hit 100k a few weeks ago, a milestone I really wanted to get a picture of myself, but my mother was actually driving it on the highway when it rolled over... :(

I think it could also use new plugs and wires, but I've yet to convince my father that it's a good idea--what a moron. Regardless, he just had the transmission fluid and filter changed earlier this week at the GM dealer we always go to, and I'm anxious to see if it shifts any different. He said he couldn't tell a difference, but when I last drove it, it seemed to be shifting funny every once in a while, which was why he had it done.

I'd just say it's a weather/gas-related issue going on with your car, and wouldn't worry about it too much more unless things don't ever go back to "normal".