: carb swap today

pimpin88
04-27-05, 10:55 AM
well, here is another attempt to locate the reason for my poor fuel mileage. after school i am going to get another quadrajet from my friend from an olds custom cruiser, and swap with mine for a few days. if i get better mileage then i will probably get a carb rebuild kit or somethin.

is there any reason it would not work on my car. its coming off of a 455 that was transplanted into the custom cruiser.

90Brougham350
04-27-05, 12:11 PM
Should work just fine, provided the new carb you're trying is computer controlled. Let us know.

Brian

BluEyes
04-27-05, 03:53 PM
the fuel inlet fitting does not point in the same direction on all Q-jets, and the throttle linkage is not all the same.
Also, they would both need the same type of choke (ie: electric, hot air, or divorced on manifold)

New carb doesn't have to be computer controlled just to test its operation, but it might influence your fuel economy

The Ape Man
04-27-05, 04:13 PM
Do not pass go do not collect $200.00 . If your carbonator has the provision for a transmission detent cable and the one you are trying out does not then you will kill your trans dead.

pimpin88
04-27-05, 08:51 PM
carb swap completed. all was succesful. it was the same as the one i had originally. now next week when i fill up i'll check the mileage and find out the results

N0DIH
04-27-05, 09:27 PM
If the fuel inlet comes in from the pass side, that is a Chevy carb. BOP's were nearly all directly in.

No 455 was ever computer controlled. As a matter of fact, no passenger car over 6.0L (aka, 368) was ever CCC, Computer Command Control. And the only 350 (5.7L) was the Chevy V8, I believe, only in cop cars.

How is the computer handling it? Now no TPS so likely no TCC lockup. You can trigger lockup by shorting 2 pins (A&F? the 2 outside ones) on the ALDL. So you might be able to do it from a dash switch or toggle switch. Always with the brake applied there will be no lockup, and no lockup with occur until 3rd gear. But with low gears like 2.56 and those tall tires, it will still lug some. Which is hard on the top rod bearings.

pimpin88
04-28-05, 07:33 AM
it seems to be doing fine. i dont think the carb was the original one for the 455 they put in there because it is exactly the same as mine. it runs much more smoothly and when i have the problem of the TCC locking up and staying locked, it doesnt buck when you give it gas. i'll find out on the mileage soon.

N0DIH
04-28-05, 06:48 PM
Just be cautious, the lockup serves 2 functions. Fuel economy and to limit stall with the ultra low gearing. 2.56's and .67 OD and lower vehicle speeds causes the converter to stall, heating up the fluid. This will accelerate trans failure.

Make sure it locks up. It NEEDs to.

pimpin88
04-28-05, 10:24 PM
alright, thanks.

everything works as it should, it just runs better. i'm picking up a rebuild kit for my carb tomorrow cuz i have to give this one back eventually