: 2003 Escalade w Navigation - XM capable or not

dainva
04-26-05, 09:24 AM
I am trying to determine if my 2003 Escalade ESV with Navigation system has XM radio. Owners manual says yes it is capable. Dealer Service person says, "um...no, becuase you have the OnStar antenna"?!?! He says that I would have to junk up the vehicle with after market XM receiver.

When I press Band, all I get is AM, FM1, and FM2. Is this a feature that is deacivated until the XM antenna is installed? Or do I need a whole new radio unit?

Obviously, I do not trust the answer from the service rep. Anyone know more about this? Thanks.

DanDan
04-26-05, 08:45 PM
It is capable. You will need the digital receiver and antenna. The Onstar antenna is on the drivers side and the xm antenna is on the passenger side up front. If you do not have an antenna on the passengers side you can still add a factory xm reciever. You have two options. Get the factory one, which is available. The most expensive of the two. It is available online. It does require you to drill a hole in your roof. No big deal but people tend to have a problem with drilling the roof. I have never had a problem and I drill roofs all the time. There is a direct connection piece that is aftermarket made by some company in NY called direct connect. I have not tried them but sounds interesting. Suppose to be plug and play. There is also one, PIE with a pioneer xm receiver makes but a friend of mine has had problems with the radio recognizing it. If it were me I would go with the factory unit. It will cost you $300 plus labor but it is worth it. If you have any questions just ask and I can help you out.

DanDan

rokum99
04-27-05, 07:29 PM
Go with the dealer package. I have a 2003 and it didn,t have XM. Ask my dealer if there was a kit. The sold me complete package ( XM antenna, receiver, mounting bracket, and all necessary cables) for around 330.00 dollars. Works like a charm.

caddycruiser
05-03-05, 10:59 PM
Very correct. The dealers can order a kit that allows XM to be installed just as it would be from the factory, with no extra parts.

It's part#12498768, if you need it. :coolgleam

dainva
05-06-05, 09:39 AM
I got it - thanks for the help. I just went to the local radio shop that Cadillac subs all of their radio and navigation installs to. They installed the XM receiver and now it works beautifully - as it should. Thanks for your help!