: 4T80E drain plug location?

sprucegoose
10-18-03, 12:38 PM
I am servicing my trans today, but having trouble locating this drain plug which removes the additional trans fluid from the side case area. I assumed this would be easy to spot from the underside but cannot find it. :bonkers:

Can anyone pin-point or describe the location/size of this plug. It isn't inside of the pan right? I thought I had read you can drain this BEFORE dropping the pan. Any help here would be greatly appreciated! :worship:

AKPsiMC03
10-18-03, 01:00 PM
you gotta drop the pan. there is no plug. put alot of newspaper down cus you WILL make a mess unless you have a REALLY big bucket

El Dobro
10-18-03, 01:01 PM
You're suppose to see it after you drop the pan.

El Dobro
10-18-03, 01:26 PM
There's a filter in the side cover that's not accessable with the trans in the car, so all you can really do is drain the oil through the little plug that's in the pan. I believe it's an 1/8" pipe plug. The two screens that you see when you drop the pan just have to be cleaned. If you've already bought the kit, just change them. If you didn't get the gasket yet, it's the reusuable type.

sprucegoose
10-18-03, 10:49 PM
I kind of figured you had to drop the pan first. I didn't see any ovious plug anywhere. Sooo... tomorrow maybe I can get nice and oily under there. :p I just did this on my Tahoe, and it does make a mess if you are not careful, that's for sure! :eek:

I know that the majority of the oil is retained in that side case area in this dry-sump type of trans., so I wanted to make sure I found that plug. I did get the gasket at my Caddy dealer, gave me a decent price $27 ($36 was list) :bonkers: and he told me I could return it if I didn't use it. The mechanic there said it is not really meant to re-use though. He said they never really seal as good as the original install.

Thanks again, and will post the results of the operation when done! I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that everything in there looks OK. 163K is a lot of miles, but the car does seem to have been very well taken care of.

eehoepp
10-25-03, 08:25 PM
The side cover drain plug is only accessible once the pan is dropped. I spent a H*ll of a lot of time looking for it before I dropped the pan, too.

It's a 1/4 NPT hex socket pipe plug located about midway along the side of the trans.