: What is the best AutoX Tire on a Cost/fun/longevity basis?

Dan_Gurney
10-12-13, 01:32 AM
I try to go to AutoX every month, so I finally bought a second set of wheels for AutoX/Trackdays figuring it will work out cheaper in the longrun to run a less aggressive tire on the street and maybe something more aggressive for autox.

But now I am debating what tires to put on my track wheels. I currently run the Hankook Ventus V12 which actually works fairly well, but I would love to have more grip. I ran a used set of BFG R1s once, but the last owner did not run them with enough camber so I corded the outside after one autox, but whoaa did it feel good to have grip. (also scares me a little from the used tires)

My problem comes in that with 12 autoX events a year I donít want to spend a fortune on track tires (sure r-comps are fun, but I donít think they are that much more fun). What is the best compromise in the cost/longevity/performance range for track tires.

I am ok with used tires, but I donít know from the few I have seen that the cost savings is really there, especially if you are buying a used r-comp with 2-3/32 of tread, and have to pay $60 to get them mounted, plus deal with going to the tire place again.

Naf
10-12-13, 02:35 AM
I used toyo r888 for my events and love them. Hankook rs3 are also fine

philistine
10-12-13, 03:02 AM
I used toyo r888 for my events and love them. Hankook rs3 are also fine

I use the RS3's for auto-x

jclayc
10-12-13, 08:20 AM
I don't run AutoX but do time trials... I used to run R888s but once you go full slick, you won't go back. For longevity, I've had good luck with Hoosier R6s. For pure stickiness, Continental Grand Am tires are unbelievable

Dan_Gurney
10-12-13, 12:27 PM
How many events have you been getting out of your tires? The RS3 seems popular out here and has been the direction I am leaning, but most guys out here have much lighter cars...

----------

Also, what size have you been running?

Where is the best place to get the Continental Grand Am tires?

jclayc
10-12-13, 03:43 PM
A track with banking like pocano will eat up tires in 2 days mostly b/c of our limited camber adjustability... But IIRC, I can get 4-5 days/events out of a set of R6s

How to get them is the golden question on the continental extreme contact (grand am) tires... Scrubs are usually available early in the season on eBay. Same is true of R6s

275/35s are what I run most typically.

JDB
10-13-13, 09:31 AM
Also throw Falken Azenis Sports RT615k into the decision making, if non Rcomps.

Junior1
10-13-13, 11:11 PM
I run 275/35/18 GAC's as well
For used Conti's and slicks there are a few places.

Easiest would be to find a local Grand-Am team if possible and buy their scrubs (which is what I do)
Or
member JPJP on m3post who usually has alot of inventory
John Berget - johnbtires.com, jbracingtires.net
and there is a couple of guys on ebay as well

AAIIIC
10-14-13, 11:02 AM
I try to go to AutoX every month, so I finally bought a second set of wheels for AutoX/Trackdays figuring it will work out cheaper in the longrun to run a less aggressive tire on the street and maybe something more aggressive for autox.
What size is the 2nd set of wheels you bought?

My problem comes in that with 12 autoX events a year I don’t want to spend a fortune on track tires (sure r-comps are fun, but I don’t think they are that much more fun). What is the best compromise in the cost/longevity/performance range for track tires.
Sounds like you'll want a max or extreme performance tire. RS-3s, RE-11s, DSSs, PSSs, 615Ks, etc.

I don't run AutoX but do time trials... I used to run R888s but once you go full slick, you won't go back.
What full slicks have you run? Michelins? Pirellis?

For longevity, I've had good luck with Hoosier R6s. For pure stickiness, Continental Grand Am tires are unbelievable
The GAC slicks are rebadged Hoosier R6s, without the 2 grooves. As a result of that, the GACs are not DOT legal R-compounds, thus are not legal for auto-x (other than the Prepared classes that allow full slicks).

jclayc
10-14-13, 11:04 AM
full slicks - Hoosier R6s and GACs

thebigjimsho
10-14-13, 10:33 PM
Hankook Z214 C91 compounds.

On a recommendation from a friend who races Vettes. They are the softest compounds, but wear similarly to the others Hankook makes. He felt they wore much better than the Hoosier A6 and almost as well as the R6.

I bought mine for $70 a tire, lightly used in 273/35 18. Have fun matching that cost to New, even with mounting and balancing...

Dan_Gurney
10-15-13, 10:19 PM
To answer questions above:

My second set of wheels is just a beat up set of stock wheels.

I actually run in EXP due to my lightened flywheel (yes my car is horribly prepped for EXP, hence the more about fun than beating anyone, and STU before that was still not competitive with my mods.)

I think I am probably leaning towards the RS-3s, I think it will be the best compromise (and maybe the occasional slick/r-comp used if the price is right.)

Thank you all for the great input. I figured a thread about actually using the car would get the right people in here...

Hankook Z214 C91 compounds.

On a recommendation from a friend who races Vettes. They are the softest compounds, but wear similarly to the others Hankook makes. He felt they wore much better than the Hoosier A6 and almost as well as the R6.

I bought mine for $70 a tire, lightly used in 273/35 18. Have fun matching that cost to New, even with mounting and balancing...

Yeah If i could find that deal that might not be bad at all either.... I'll have to keep my eye out better.

It is just going to hurt next month as my race tires and street tires are worn out...

thebigjimsho
10-16-13, 02:00 PM
NASA forums...

RyRidesMotoX
10-17-13, 01:27 PM
I had RS-3 Hankooks on my last car. It was a near 400whp front wheel drive turbo Cobalt. I beat the hell out of those poor tires. Had them at AAA speedway at Fontana at 160mph on a banked straight/turn 1... They were great. Granted they weren't slicks but I got almost 20k miles out of them plus 3 or 4 track days, it was my daily driver (40 miles each way everyday)... I was completely shocked... And I didn't rotate them either. Fronts stayed on the fronts and rears stayed on the rears. The rears on the cobalt lasted for almost 30k. It was nuts. I loved those tires... They are expensive though most places they run at least $250 a tire.

repenttokyo
10-20-13, 11:13 PM
I went from the tires you currently have on the car - the Hankooks - to BFG Rivals. It's night and day - I don't autocross, but I do about 10-12 track days in a summer, and I love these tires.

Dan_Gurney
10-23-13, 10:43 PM
I went from the tires you currently have on the car - the Hankooks - to BFG Rivals. It's night and day - I don't autocross, but I do about 10-12 track days in a summer, and I love these tires.

Yeah the rivals are on my short list. Locally everyone seems to love them (makes sense i am sure the newest big name autox tire will be the best as they can benchmark the others)

thebigjimsho
10-24-13, 11:51 AM
I seriously don't know why everyone wants to buy new when there are professionals that use a set for a heat or two and then dump. Since cost is a factor in this equation, having it be a small number makes it a winner.

Used is the only way to go...

RyRidesMotoX
10-24-13, 01:18 PM
I agree... But sometimes is used to find a local team that doesn't already have like 43 people camping outside of their garage waiting for them to offer tires

repenttokyo
10-24-13, 05:02 PM
I seriously don't know why everyone wants to buy new when there are professionals that use a set for a heat or two and then dump. Since cost is a factor in this equation, having it be a small number makes it a winner.

Used is the only way to go...

harder to find in Canada, and I also don't want to have to swap tires at the track every Monday night. I'm not quite ready to go to slicks yet, but it's something I think about.

Dan_Gurney
10-25-13, 01:47 AM
I am not opposed to used race tires, but looking at tread thickness per dollar with mounting cost figured in, their value comes down. I do need to keep my eye out better though.

thebigjimsho
10-25-13, 02:08 AM
Most used tires that come from race teams are almost indistinguishable from new...

Andringa
10-25-13, 05:07 PM
Most used tires that come from race teams are almost indistinguishable from new...

I am not opposed to used race tires, but looking at tread thickness per dollar with mounting cost figured in, their value comes down. I do need to keep my eye out better though.

The people that I've talked to that run used race tires know somebody that balances tires for free/cheap. If you have to drive to the local tire shop and pay retail prices to get scrubs mounted it will add quite a bit of money to the equation.

thebigjimsho
10-25-13, 11:07 PM
I paid $70 a tire. Dear goodness, what rape artist is mounting your tires?