: Help find part

97 Eldorad0
10-11-13, 03:43 PM
Just bought a 97 Eldorado. Blown head gasket. Engine is next to car. Waiting on suregrip stud kit to arrive. Stuck on a few things. Busted the power steering pulley steel lip trying to pull it off. Is thefre a way to get it off now without throwing a weld on it? They shold have re disigned the reservoir so the heads wouldlift off without shifting the power steering unit. 2. Those cylinder sleeves are brutal. I think I will just drill them out when stud kit arives. Any thoughts? But my main question is this: Passenger side drive axel popped out. I noticed this three point spider gear thing that holds three silver square (1 inch X 1.5 in) bearing things LOL. They slide into a bell housing on the engine into three groves. This is where the power transfer from motor to front wheel. That's about the best I can do. Anyone that has had it off will know what I amm talking about. First, please tell me what it is called. Next, only one of the three bearing things is bad. Where can I aquire one of these things? Thanks in advance. I'll keep you updated on how the gasket kit works out.

Submariner409
10-11-13, 04:34 PM
Look through the pages of this forum - there are several threads with pictures and How to's on removing the cylinder head locating dowel sleeves. Either the studs are already machined for the locator dowel size or you'll need to replace them. The machining for the stud job requires patience, time and precision.

Your passenger side CV assembly fell apart. Time for a new one. Be sure the output shaft bearing and seal are good.

Talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>

Without a GM service manual for your engine you're lost. So many special techniques and torque values that it's impossible to type them all here.

Read the engine stickys just above this thread.

Welcome Aboard !!!! :welcome: Please understand that you are now on a very steep learning curve.

Ranger
10-11-13, 08:24 PM
Just bought a 97 Eldorado. Blown head gasket. Engine is next to car. Waiting on suregrip stud kit to arrive. Stuck on a few things. Busted the power steering pulley steel lip trying to pull it off. Is thefre a way to get it off now without throwing a weld on it?
I don't think so.

Those cylinder sleeves are brutal. I think I will just drill them out when stud kit arives. Any thoughts?
Run a length of threaded rod into the sleeve (alignment dowel) and tack weld it to the alignment dowel. Now drop a length of pipe over it that is shorter than the threaded rod. Place a washer over the threaded rod and then a nut. As you tighten the nut, you'll pull the alignment dowel.

stoveguyy
10-12-13, 08:19 AM
The p/s pump is held on by 1 bolt. Is pump still bolted to block? No need to remove p/s pump pulley

97 Eldorad0
10-12-13, 01:26 PM
Ok. Thanks guys for the replies. Stoveguy, I just saw that bolt and it ruined my day. Ended up buying another pump. I also bought a CV axel. Didn't know it would be that easy. I think I found the best way to remove the cylinder sleeves. A friend had "irwins". They bite on as you screw off. He also had a drill that would break your arm if not careful. Spun those bad critters right out of there. Removed all three in less than 5 minutes. One has to be drilled due to method used before being introduced to irwins. You will need to be strong enough to hold POWERFUL drill. Thanks again for the help.