: Problem. Might be With Me or Car

DopeStar 156
04-23-05, 05:06 PM
I just drove my 89 Fleetwood Brougham 200 miles from Northern NJ to Baltimore, MD and for some reason the idle seems lower than usual. Now I'm not sure if it actually is lower or if it's just my imagination but sometimes it sounds fine and sometimes it sounds low. I dunno. Could driving at highway speed for that long affect the idle? I also believe my cruise has a vac leak because I was losing speed uphill and it wouldn't kick back up after I crested the hill. I know there's a vac leak in the car and it's from the parking brake release. Could I have drawn too much vacuum from the idle by using the cruise? And if so will it replenish itself automatically? I'm losing it.

cmgrafmc
04-23-05, 05:16 PM
You're nuts.

Just MY two cents.

But seriously, it SEEMS like the vacuum leak is related to the CC problem you describe but it's hard to know because these boats just don't respond at highway speeds. I have to curse at mine to get it to shift back into 3rd to pass little Johnny on his Schwinn. Now, if you have never experienced that problem before, then I'd say your leak is probably the culprit and at best it certainly isn't helping matters. Depends on the amount of leakage, as you know. I'm no expert. In fact, a few garages have restraining orders against me, so don't take MY word for it. In fact, why am I offering my word at all when it's obvious that I don't have a clue. I really should learn to keep my yap shut. I read, thanks to Katshot, that you have a vacuum controlled ILC which regulates your idle, I guess. These wonderful vacuum doors, pumps, hoses, etc. are a load of fun, huh? I'll stop writing now.

Best wishes to ya!

CMGrafMC: Wasting bandwidth since 2004!

90Brougham350
04-23-05, 05:36 PM
Vacuum leaks, whereever they may appear, are never a good thing. Fortunately, most can be fixed by simply replacing the vacuum line, nice and cheap. I'd find it and fix it if possible. Glad to hear the car ran fine otherwise though.

Brian