: Follow up to Trunk Pull-down draw

90Brougham350
04-23-05, 05:18 PM
Alright, I bought a multimeter and went to work. The thing that raised an eyebrow was the level ride, which, along with the amp, I've determined must be the problem. After I would make the connection with the multimeter, the draw would stay steady at .02 for 10 or 15 seconds, at which point I would hear a click from the air compressor, and the draw would jump to .42. I tried this 3 different times, and the results were identical each time. I unplugged the compressor wiring harness, and tried again, and the draw remained constant at .02. Once the compressor made the clicking noise, the draw would remain constant at .42 for an indefinate period of time.

Once I disconnected the compressor, I tested the radio and the amp. Without anything drawing on the battery, there was a draw of .02. With my radio hooked up, the draw went to .28. I then disconnected the radio, and hooked up the amp, which drew .76.

I've concluded that the amp drawing .76 and the compressor drawing .42 must have drained my battery over the period of time. Therefore, I disconnected the compressor and taped the wiring harness ends up. Now, when I drive, the light comes on for about 2 minutes, goes off for maybe 4 or 2 or 3 seconds, then comes back on for about 2 minutes and stays off. The battery is good, and I tested the alternator, good as well. To keep the amp from drawing down, I'm going to wiring a line from the fusebox from an "ignition" spot, and wire it to one of the 12V wires on the amp. Currently the amp has 2 power wires that are sodered together into the one 10 guage power line I ran. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas!

Brian

pimpin88
04-24-05, 04:32 PM
i had the same problem on my 88 brougham. the problem is that the compressor is constantly trying to let air pressure out of the load leveling shocks . . . but there is none left. if you crawl underneath, somewhere on the rear axle there is an actuating arm that connects to the body or the frame or something. this is what tells the compressor what to do, either exhaust or pump. it is most likely broken or out of adjustment.

if this is the problem, go to either the local auto parts store or a cadillac dealer and get one. i dont remember where i got mine. but ever since then i have had no problems with my battery going dead.

good luck

90Brougham350
04-24-05, 04:39 PM
Thank you! Do you remember how much yours cost, if indeed, mine is broken?

Brian

pimpin88
04-24-05, 04:52 PM
i cant remember the price it shouldn't cost all that much. its just a rod about 3 inches long that connects the actuating arm to the frame/body. i cant remember but it should definitely be less than $20-25.

pimpin88
04-27-05, 12:03 PM
ever figure anything out with the height sensor?

90Brougham350
04-27-05, 01:09 PM
It's been raining and 35, 40 degrees here for the 4 or 5 days, so I'm gonna wait this weekend. Supposed to be decent out. I'll post this weekend, hopefully I can find my girlfriends digital camera. Thanks for all the help so far.

Brian

pimpin88
04-27-05, 09:46 PM
no prob.

hope that link is what the problem is