: How Do You CONTROL DVD Movies While Driving?

RJ3CTSV
04-23-05, 11:35 AM
Please let me know how to do this.

i don't want to puch those two buttons on the dash and just start watching it while i drive.I want to be able to control the DVD too.

There should be a way to ground the parking break and add a relay to the speed sence wire coming out of the factory navigation system?

if anybody has done this yet please let me know how and which wires to look for.

thanks

-RJ

tomm
04-23-05, 12:09 PM
Please let me know how to do this.

i don't want to puch those two buttons on the dash and just start watching it while i drive.I want to be able to control the DVD too.

There should be a way to ground the parking break and add a relay to the speed sence wire coming out of the factory navigation system?

if anybody has done this yet please let me know how and which wires to look for.

thanks

-RJ

Not that simple as it is on aftermarket head units. The cadillacs signal is coming from the data bus and not an individual wire. For this to be done properly there will probably need to be a modification to the radio itself and at a cost of $2400 to replace it I dont know many people that will want to experiment with it. The button trick works but yes you loose the controls.

benjet
04-23-05, 12:20 PM
Yep the radio (NAV unit) itself knows your speed (by GPS no less), so your best bet (and probably cheapest, without trading/losing any OTHER functions) to get this to work is to change out the factory deck.

RJ3CTSV
04-23-05, 12:30 PM
i don't care how much it costs. i just want to know how to do this?

benjet
04-23-05, 01:31 PM
Find someone (at a cost) who can reverse engineer the hw/sw in the factory deck, no one else has gone that far as of now.

tomm
04-23-05, 01:48 PM
Yep the radio (NAV unit) itself knows your speed (by GPS no less).

This is not actually the case since I have tested this with my NAV with the speed sensor wire disabled and the DVD still does not play. The signal is coming directly from the databus that the car is no longer in park. The only way to change this is through firmware which is a major project which I doub anyone will ever figure it out.

benjet
04-23-05, 02:12 PM
This is not actually the case since I have tested this with my NAV with the speed sensor wire disabled and the DVD still does not play. The signal is coming directly from the databus that the car is no longer in park. The only way to change this is through firmware which is a major project which I doub anyone will ever figure it out.

You maybe right, on the V (no park gear), IIRC (it's been a long time since I played with this) you can get the DVD to play while the parking brake is released but it will shut down after you hit 2-3 mph.

BeagleBrains
04-23-05, 07:20 PM
DVD movies while driving. Highway roulette anyone?