: Totally Confused-pleeze Help

caddy4sho
04-23-05, 01:55 AM
ARRRRGGG. Totally ticked. I took my car to my school's autoshopso i could have my sparkplugs changed/upgradedto bosch platinum 4's. Everything was cool. I drove it home and it souded normal...jus a little more throaty. After i went home i tried to start it a few hours later and thats where trouble started. I cant start the car w/o giving it a ton of gas. I have to kepp it then above 2000 rpm of it shuts off. It sounds like its misfiring. The sound is similiar to a local modified firebird ws6 (when its slowing down in first gear, ya know with the actual sound of an explosion lol). Ya so i dunno what to do i cat drive it anywhere and since it's a 97 its a total pain to change the old spark plugs back in (which they never gave to me). I Also decided to detail my engine when i had comehome and i noticed a little bitof what seems to be oil leaking from this spot(shown in attached pics). I wiped it off thinking it was nothing.... then when i tookalookat it jus 4 hours later it looked like the pic below. Does this have anything to do with my car not starting. And i know that the thing to tighten it is as tight as it can get. I jus dont get it. Also some1 recomended to me that i change the sparkplugs also. Oh yah the catera is a 97 with 75,000 miles on it. The only major work that has been done on it is replacing the valve covers last summer. So if any body can explain these two things that'd be great and what can i do now. Thanx a ton.

lestersgremlin
04-23-05, 09:29 AM
i also do work on 96 97, catera's this is a very picky auto. i would sugest changing back to the plugs that are stock. as far as the leak check the gasket you took the car to auto shop class, no offence but that is not a car car for students to learn on thay may have removed said part to get at plugs. as i said these cars are very percise and the greatest care must be takin when they are beings serviced. there great cars and i enjoy working on them once you figure them out i have to buy a $265.00 service manual just to get started on one but once to take in to acount that thay are caddy's there just a car hope your troubles get fixed

caddy4sho
04-23-05, 11:06 AM
Yah i know what you mean. I agree with that too. but from what ive seen the teacher is always watching and making sure everything is done ok. And the other main reason i did it at school is b/c the cheapest price i found for anyone to do the work for me was $150, and i was jus tryin to save some money(which i totally regret now,lol). and where are u even finding a service manual??..im jealous:(. Ive looked everywhere for one.

Vesicant
04-23-05, 03:08 PM
Yah i know what you mean. I agree with that too. but from what ive seen the teacher is always watching and making sure everything is done ok. And the other main reason i did it at school is b/c the cheapest price i found for anyone to do the work for me was $150, and i was jus tryin to save some money(which i totally regret now,lol). and where are u even finding a service manual??..im jealous:(. Ive looked everywhere for one.

Ebay - ebay has tons of service manuals.

Also, that part where oil is comming out of is called the Idle Air Control valve (IAC)- that would be why you're having idle/start problems. Its making the IAC valve clogged or has been killed by the oil, meaning it cant control idle with the computer. Heres how to clean your IAC Valve: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12433

Besides that- the REAL issue here is why there is oil getting into the intake manifold. They must have screwed with it when they were changing sparkplugs.

caddy4sho
04-24-05, 12:56 AM
i dont get it. Are you saying that the oil coming out of the IAC is why my car is having problems? I am planning on using the instructions you gave me and cleaning it out. Do you think that will fix my problem?

Vesicant
04-24-05, 12:08 PM
i dont get it. Are you saying that the oil coming out of the IAC is why my car is having problems? I am planning on using the instructions you gave me and cleaning it out. Do you think that will fix my problem?

Cleaning the IAC, and saying it returns to Normal operation; its only a matter of time before oil gets in there again (presuming its still getting into the intake).

jewelz
04-25-05, 11:23 AM
I have been reading alot about spark plugs and misfires, what does is actually sound like? How can you tell if it is misfiring? My engine is idling rough and just shuts off every once in a while, could it need a tune-up? It's an 00 with nothing done but oil changes, only recently has this problem come up. Thanks!

caddy4sho
04-25-05, 03:46 PM
Wow..You were right jeff(as usual). I cleaned out the IAC valve and my cat is running perfect now. Ive been driving it all day and im surprised cuz i havent seen any oil coming from the IAC valve, but hey no complaints. Im takin it backto the shop tomorow and their gonna double check everything thanx a ton jeff!!

omermurat
04-25-05, 07:43 PM
I have been reading alot about spark plugs and misfires, what does is actually sound like? How can you tell if it is misfiring? My engine is idling rough and just shuts off every once in a while, could it need a tune-up? It's an 00 with nothing done but oil changes, only recently has this problem come up. Thanks!

If there is misfiring the check engine light comes on, and you feel an unusual vibration and hesitation depending on the severity or the numbers of cyliders that misfiring.

Why it happens? Whenever the engine management system detects one or more cyclinder not firing the way it's supposed to, ECU cuts the fuel of the cylinder(s) to prevent the catalitic converter from being damaged.

lestersgremlin
05-10-05, 08:37 AM
if you are look for a manual for carera's try e bay i got mine from a caddy dealer in detroit mich cost me $250.00 but was well worth it good luck to you

lestersgremlin
05-11-05, 08:35 AM
tune up would be good, how meny miles you should just have to change plugs

omermurat
05-11-05, 08:43 AM
100K is recomended. Bosch Platinum +4 is a good replacement/upgrade.