: 93 STS - 5 1/4 Door Speaker Install

Rob_M
04-22-05, 04:44 PM
Can someone tell me how to install 5 1/4 speakers in a 93 STS please. I heard I may have to cut a hole in a board or something. THankS!! ROB :halo:

Rob_M
04-24-05, 11:50 AM
Nobody knows how to do this here????????????????????????????????:canttalk:

Rob_M
06-16-05, 01:10 PM
Hello Hello Hello!!!!! Still wondering how to do this guys. I know how to run the wires and remove the panel and old BOSE speakers. I need to know how to mount the new 5 1/4's....... Please help me. I can buy the speakers but don't have the cash to pay for someone to install them, plus I know I can do it myself.

JC316
06-16-05, 01:28 PM
Ok, my SLS has the funky 3 1/2 inch Bose in the front. If yours has that, you are going to have to remove the whole Bose enclosuer, then you will have a good bit of room. I would fabricate a piece of wood or plastic to fit in the square looking hole behind the Bose and mount the speaker to that. Or you can simply put the speaker in the square hole and put some screws in it. Either way you do it, it should line up with the hole in the door panel and give you some pretty decent sound. I hope this helps you out.

D148L0
06-16-05, 01:38 PM
Ok. First you have to know how to remove the original ones. Go to this site for step-by-step instructions:
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalCadSevilleFSpkR.htm

As JC316 said, since you are goint to remove the enclosure, you have to see by yourself if the new ones are a direct fit or you need to: a)place a MDF or similar material board in the hole, and b) install the new speaker in the board. I mean, it's quite easy to figure out what to do.
MAybe you would like to consider some dynamat for the back of the speakers.

Rob_M
06-16-05, 04:00 PM
What would be the best mounting material to use as for as the board is concerned? You mentioned plastic. What kind of plastic do they use for this? Will it get wet from the weather in there? Oh yeah, thanks for the replies guys!!!!!!!!!

D148L0
06-16-05, 05:02 PM
MDF= medium density fiberboard. It's a wooden stuff.

Rob_M
06-16-05, 06:01 PM
I know what MDF is. How thick? 1/2", 3/4", 5/8"? Also, what's that plactic stuff JC316 was talking about? Plus, will water be getting in there? Should I coat it with anything???

JC316
06-16-05, 11:46 PM
I have a plexiglass like plastic sheet. You simply cut it, then remove the backing on each side and you have a clear plastic board to mount the speaker on. It dosen't degrade like MDF would. You can get the plastic at any hardware store.

Rob_M
06-17-05, 01:18 PM
How thick? Does it fill the entire whole or just most of it? Hey, right on too!!!!!

JC316
06-17-05, 06:39 PM
It is pretty thin stuff. Maybe 1/8 of an inch thick. It is just a flat plastic sheet.

D148L0
06-17-05, 08:40 PM
Now plexiglas is good. It won't rattle as other plastics. Cons: expensive, you have to know how to work it or it will break easily.
MDF is cheap, easy to work with and won't rattle. I have yet to see a door plate degrade, but I suppose it can happen.

8488john
07-28-05, 04:49 PM
I can help you out, its actually really easy and u shouldnt have to do any cutting at all. I just installed a new stereo deck, and rewired all my speakers and i added 2 amps and 2 subs. Im trying to find where my old amp was tho. If you can help me out with the old wiring scheme and tell me where the old 4 channel amp was that went to the speakers, i would appreciate it more the likfe itself. Id even install ur speakers for u id be so greatful. Just please if u can tell me wher ei can find my amp or where i can find a wiring diagram id appreciate it

Rob_M
07-30-05, 07:25 AM
Alright. Its probably gonna be pretty difficult for you to install the speakers for me being that you probably dont live near me. Thanks anyways. What model and year do you have? If its the same as mine, I can look in the Factory Service Manual for you. I need to disconnect that crap too.....

JC316
07-30-05, 02:07 PM
If it is a pre 98 each speaker should have it's own amp attached to it. When you took the speakers out, it should have had a small metal amp on it.

Rob_M
08-05-05, 03:40 PM
I just paid someone else $30 to do it and boy was is worth it. He istalled not only the door speakers but my new deck in about 2 hours and it sure sounds great. So, the moral of the story is, somethings are best left to the professionals who do it everyday.

Deville n J-ville
08-05-05, 03:48 PM
I just paid someone else $30 to do it and boy was is worth it. He istalled not only the door speakers but my new deck in about 2 hours and it sure sounds great. So, the moral of the story is, somethings are best left to the professionals who do it everyday.

Very true.

He charged you $30 to do the speakers and radio? I hope thats only the speakers, or he won't be in business very long. Unless he's your buddy, then thats a different story.

D148L0
08-05-05, 04:10 PM
Heh... I agree, some things are better in professional hands.

But speakers and HU? Piece of cake! Those were my first steps on car audio.

I guess I just love doing stuff myself.

I got my first 2-stroke bike on December, and without any previous experience in that kind of engine (and very limited mechanical knowledge), so far I've changed/modified cluth, brakes, sprockets, cylinder, piston, rings, jets, carb, body parts and what not...

Rob_M
08-09-05, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I did the back ones because all I had to do was drill the holes. The fronts would want to actually see someone do it first before I attempted my own customization. That's exactly what it would be too, custom. And yes, that's $30 just for the door speakers. The dude came highly recommended by my friend who bailed me out of my alarm nightmare. He used to work with him so that was cool!!!

D148L0
08-09-05, 09:48 AM
What matters is that you are happy with the results. I know the feeling!
Next thing you know, you'll start thinking on what upgrade to do next...
Don't forget the pics, huh?

Rob_M
08-09-05, 03:51 PM
I will do pictures of the deck mounted today but the doors they just mounted underneath so you cant tell any difference. Yeah, Im tempted to do the sub and amp next after I do my tint job.