: Tires again: Yokohama ES100

ctsvett
04-22-05, 05:31 PM
So, nobody responded in the tire thread when a question about the Yokohama ES100s was asked.

Has anybody tried the Yokohama ES100s? Any info on treadwear?

For me its a $60 difference between the Toyo's (which everyone here likes) and the Yokohama's.

It's the age old dilema, I want them to last a reasonable amount of time but also be sticky enough (a direct tradeoff, I know).

Reed

benjet
04-22-05, 06:05 PM
I'm 5k into my GS-D3 and have about 80% tread left. I'm so sold on these I doubt I'd buy anything else. And yes I know that didn't have much to do with your thread/post, apologies.

DrivingAmericanNow
04-22-05, 06:47 PM
CTSvette,

Just tried to post, hit the wrong button, lost all of what I'd written, so this could become a double-post...........

Anyway, I've had the ES100's on my V now for about 2,000 miles so I can't really attest to their wear characteristics. I can tell you that I like them better than the F1's.

They're smooth, quiet, and very predictable. I've had them in a few controlled 4-wheel slides and there were no surprizes. The F1's were a bit twitchy there. One instant I'd have grip, the next instant I wouldn't. The ES100's are far more predictable in that sense. They have a reasonable grip in the rain (that's a direct swipe at the F1's) and they're a bargain.

I'd heard a lot of people discussing non-run-flats and their effect of wheel hop, so I was hoping for miracles with these tires. Truth is, they didn't seem to effect it in any way.

DAN

Dreamin
04-22-05, 07:21 PM
ES100 is in the "Ultra High Performance" category, not the "Max Performance" like Toyo, GS-D3, S03...

They sound nice and predictable from Dan's post... but ultimate stick will not compare to the Max performance tires...

ctsvett
04-22-05, 07:35 PM
Ben,
I liked the GSD3s too, but they are $200 more than either the yoko's or the Toyos...

Those with the toyos (who have not been in drift contests.. hahah), Any feeling on wear?

Reed

urbanski
04-22-05, 07:58 PM
"max"
"ultra"
LOL what a bunch of crap :D
go toyos baby and dorifto away :p

CVP33
04-22-05, 08:03 PM
GSD3's are hard to kill. I do, however, think that you give up some grip and some crispness especially on 95%+ driving. The trade off is incredible wear vs. incredulous wear, subdued vs. noisy and great wet weather handling vs. geezus christmas that was close.

My next tires are ebay specials. Falkens with 360 treadwear. Probably hard as rocks and fun to kill. For $405 dollars a set, I'll enjoy burning 'em to the cords.

CTSV05
04-23-05, 09:37 AM
Boy this is a big decision isn't it?

Tires are an expensive mistake if you're not happy. We are at 8k, and it won't be long til its time to make a purchase.

Afriend was over with his C5, and he has the GSD3s, and they look great, but as Reed said, they are high dollar.

The TOYOs look really good too. I also saw a new B.F. Goodrich that I really like, and its the right size, I need to find out more, it looks like a cross bred street/race tire if anyone knows about these.

I think thats where I'm leaning at the moment, its between the B.F., and the TOYOs. What I do know for sure is, there will be no F1s in my future.

Here is a link to the BFGs:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2&sidewall=Blackwall&

Opinions?

urbanski
04-23-05, 10:57 AM
Here is a link to the BFGs:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2&sidewall=Blackwall&

Opinions?
check this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1070807&highlight=KDW-2&forum_id=6

might wanna check out the Kuhmos

dannystang
04-23-05, 11:25 AM
Those BFG look mean, look like truck tires.

Devil_concours
04-23-05, 11:45 AM
check this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1070807&highlight=KDW-2&forum_id=6

might wanna check out the Kuhmos
I had kumhos on my 19" and they were awesome tires for traction and handling but it was too loud for my taste. Also i've never used eagle f1 emt so i can't compare the 2 but for the money kumho was awesome.

ctsvett
04-23-05, 03:54 PM
I've hear great things about Kunhos.. But i dont think they make them in our size.

Reed

Dreamin
04-23-05, 06:05 PM
KDW2's are LOUD

Reed, quit screwin' around and get Toyo's, GS-D3, or S-03... you WONT regret any of these tires. :D

Look at it as the extra $100 is only $4 a month over the life of the tires (2 years +/-)