: what difference between fuel pumps?

vanaisa
04-22-05, 09:30 AM
I find new fuel pump for my 93 FWB.
Catalogs show, that i need Carter # P74070, i have Carter #P74000. This pump used in Chevy Vans
Only difference, what i see in catalog is, that P74000 is little more powerful - 1 gallon more per hour.
Thats it - pump bodys are similar, also connectors.
So my question is - can i use this version in my Caddy?

ocjmakaveli
04-22-05, 05:22 PM
I find new fuel pump for my 93 FWB.
Catalogs show, that i need Carter # P74070, i have Carter #P74000. This pump used in Chevy Vans
Only difference, what i see in catalog is, that P74000 is little more powerful - 1 gallon more per hour.
Thats it - pump bodys are similar, also connectors.
So my question is - can i use this version in my Caddy?

Just my opinion I dont recommend it because it is possible for it to run slightly lean etc and there many be other consequences in the future I wouldn't gamble with it being one of the main functions of the car.

vanaisa
04-22-05, 05:32 PM
well, yes, but there is fuel pressure regulator, what keeps needed pressure. And IMO 1 gallon per hour more can not damage system - unneeded gas flows back to the tank like with original pump.

N0DIH
04-22-05, 07:51 PM
The pressure will be the same, it is the volume that changes. If you are going UP in volume, there should be no difference, the regulator manages the pressure.

No, there should be no issues whatsoever...

ocjmakaveli
04-22-05, 09:28 PM
i thought u meant the one u have pumps 1 gallon less per hour oops.:hmm:

N0DIH
04-22-05, 10:19 PM
I read it the same way and had to retype all that I wrote!

ocjmakaveli
04-23-05, 12:51 AM
I read it the same way and had to retype all that I wrote!

yeah it was odd the first time i read it it seemed as if he said the part he had pumped less then the second time it made all more sense Lol :crybaby:

vanaisa
04-23-05, 03:11 AM
Sorry about my bad english skills, guys! :)
And thanks for answers - i change pump today and let you know, if there is some side effects.

Edit: No problems at all - everything works, as it should be....