: Power Steering Pump Removal - 83 de Ville

s1fty1
04-22-05, 02:50 AM
Hey Guys, (whoops I already posted this in another forum, but I think it should be here, sorry.. i'm a newbie...)

I'm a little stuck on pulling my power steering pump on my 83 de Ville... The problem is getting the pulley off so I can access the bolts!!

At the centre of the pulley is a 3/8 internal hex, and aside from that, there's nothing else to get a spanner on? I've trying tensioning the belt and trying to turn the hex, but I'm not 100% sure which way I should turn it... Ie: should I hold the pulley and turn the hex to the Left, or should I hold the hex and turn the pulley to the left???????????????????????:banghead:

Bad language has been used... :rant2:oh so much bad language... mostly directed at the stinking Haynes Workshop manual that isn't worth the paper it's printed on....

I live in New Zealand, so people who know about Caddies are, well mostly non-existant.... Any help HUGELY appreciated... :)

The Ape Man
04-22-05, 10:26 AM
That pulley is pressed on to the pump. These is a special puller which slides into the groove in the front of your pulley. It has a turnscrew pin which bears against the pump's shaft. Re-installation is with a threaded rod into the inside of the pump shaft and a large nut with a few washers and/or a bearing. You tighten the nut and that presses the pulley back on.
You will not get it apart in one piece without the puller.

s1fty1
04-22-05, 06:32 PM
Damn.... So you're saying no special tool = no removing pump??

hmm... that makes things difficult........... I have to have it done within 28 days, due to some dumb laws we have here.... Basically it failed my it's new Import "Warrant of Fitness" because of this leak, and a ball joint... both have to be fixed and reinspected..... If I can't do it witin 28 days, it gets harder and more expensive..

28 days usually sounds like heaps of time, but with almost zero parts available locally, waiting for things to be Shipped from the US is a killer...

Any bright ideas???????

s1fty1
04-22-05, 06:33 PM
Oh, THANKS for your reply... at least I know what I'm looking at now... :)

s1fty1
04-22-05, 06:46 PM
Do you think I could use a regular gear puller and hook the feet over the back of the pulley?

The Ape Man
04-22-05, 07:52 PM
You need something that will grab the pulley near the center. You will almost certainly ruin that pulley if you attempt to pop it off by pulling on the area where the belt runs. Some transmission shops have universal puller sets especially those that do truck transmissions. Maybe you can bribe them with a case of beer.

s1fty1
04-22-05, 08:05 PM
yeah, thats the conclusion I came to... Well, I guess I'll go buy some beers and head around some workshops.... And hey, if I can't find a tool, at least I can get drunk and forget my problem for a while.............................................

fleetwood76
04-22-05, 08:13 PM
Hello.
I think i's a bad idea to use anything else than
the right puller, a ordinarely gear puller is most
likely to bend the pulley and cause even worse
trubble.
The servopumps on Cadillac is the regular pump
that most of the GM cars use, if not all.
My tip would be to seek up the nearest carservice
place were they work on GM cars, and ask if you
could lend or rent their puller.
I dont know what the most common GM car is in
New Zealand but Holden i know is a GM car.
Also if you know a machinery shop there is not to
hard to do the special puller.

jolle.

s1fty1
04-22-05, 11:36 PM
OK Guys, I found a gear puller that gets a good grip on the collar thing, butwhen I load it up the collar is starting to bend and nothing is moving!!!
Are you guys sure the 3/8 hex isn't supposed to be removed first somehow??? Here's a photo of what I'm looking at...

http://img256.echo.cx/img256/4479/pulleyphotos9hk.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Cadidreamin'
04-23-05, 12:17 AM
I've seen some of these types of pumps with an access hole for the bolts. Maybe you can drill your own type of access hole. Once you get the pump off you can take somewhere to get the pulley removed.

fleetwood76
04-23-05, 06:13 AM
Hello.

The special puller is done so it grabs around almost
the whole collar of the pulley.
I have taken some photos of mine puller so you
maybe can get some tip on what you should try
to find.
I'm sorry the qualitet is poor, i'm only have the cellphone
to take digital pictures with.

Good luck

jolle.

s1fty1
04-24-05, 09:08 PM
Hey thanks for those photos of the tool!! Now at least I know what I"m looking for.. or asking for....

Just how tight should this thing be?? We had a gear puller and a gas torch on it, and it just wasn't moving!!

s1fty1
04-26-05, 02:03 AM
I finally got the bastard off!!! Thank you guys so much for your input.. Honestly I probably would not have got it off in one piece without all of your input.. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :D

I managed to find a guy (going through the phone book calling everyone who might know anything) who made his own tool!! and for a small fee he let me borrow it, and the sucker came right off...

saaweeeeeeeet!!

turaboy
07-10-05, 12:47 AM
So from all the pics above, it looks like the Power Steering Pulley should have a little lip on it for the puller to pull on. I have a 74 Fleetwood 6-door Limo, and there is NO LIP on the front of the pulley!

I am missing something? Do ALL the GM Power Steering Pulleys have a lip? Anybody think it might be on backwards? :eek:

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated...especially more pics.