: Glassy Eyed over Glass Dings on Windshield

rjbryla
04-21-05, 09:07 PM
Only 600 miles so far, road salt and gravel long gone in Wisconsin -- two days ago dinged the windshield on the passenger side; not a bullet ding nor a crack, but just a couple of "white specks" that I can see, but since it's the first layer of the windshield, won't be going away... since it was on the passenger side, I could almost ignore it.

Well today, it happened on the driver's side, from a stupid M*F truck who weaved off the road and spit up some gravel. So now I have a new pair of small white specks almost in my line of sight. Damn.

First, why aren't windshields maybe a bit tougher, especially on a Caddy.

The local auto glass guy (that has replaced many windshields for me over the years) can't really make an improvement, it will only look a bit worse with that kind of repair. It's not a bullet hole nor a crack, so insurance won't cover a new windshield. Maybe I should just get my hammer out... :devil:

Second, more seriously, for glass dings such as these, is there anything out there that my auto glass guy doesn't know about, that can "clear up" these annoying chips in the windshield, short of a new windshield????:hmm:

BB

Silver1
04-21-05, 10:49 PM
Try Pledge. Yep, the spray wax for dusting your furniture. I used to use it on my plane's windshield to reduce the effect of the "hazing" in the plexiglass. I think it "wets" the sharp edges making them less noticeable.

DILLIGAF
04-21-05, 11:15 PM
Isn't there a way to fill those dings before they become cracks?

erp2863
04-22-05, 12:11 AM
Ask your insurance company if they would rather fix a windshield for $500 or get sued when you have an accident for not taking preventative action when notified by a customer with windshield coverage?

rjbryla
04-22-05, 07:26 AM
Good point... but first I better lower my deductible... it's probably the same as the cost of a new windshield! :sneaky:

GNSCOTT
04-22-05, 11:35 AM
I don't think a Rolls Royce has better glass. Its problably made by just a couple of suppliers and is all the same.

You should not have a deductable on glass.

New windsheild installed is about $250-$300

Because it is not cracked, the insurance company has no liability to fix it. It would be the same as asking them to repaint your car because you have rock chips on the paint.