: 96 Catera WONT UNLOCK!!

BrandonJ
04-21-05, 09:05 PM
I havn't been using the electronic keypad to unlock my door for about a week or so.We think it may be in the car.So I've just been using the key to unlock the door. Now it will not unlock and there is no way to get in it. What should I do?The key is not broke and was used earlier today.

omermurat
04-21-05, 10:32 PM
My key has some problems as well. One day it unlocks without a problem, and the next day it gives tons of hassle. Then locking it becomes a problem.

I tried wd-40 on the lock, it helped a little but the problem is still there. I think all you need to do is lube it up, and jiggle it till it works. o not use extra force though as the key could get broken.

Good luck.

stevehogan
04-22-05, 05:00 AM
If you decide to lubricate the lock, use a lubricant especially made for locks - get it at the auto parts store or a locksmith. WD40 may seem to work for a little while, but it WILL eventually jam the lock cylinder mechanism as the solvents evaporate. Lock lubricants are designed to lubricate when dry. The tight fit inside the cylinder requires a lubricant that does not exhibit any tendancies to form a gummy surface.

As to your original problem. Does the key turn but the door does not open? Or is the key itself not turnable in the lock?

lestersgremlin
04-23-05, 10:33 AM
i would use graphite lock lube it works best in locks and maby get new key made

chregan
05-07-05, 01:18 AM
96 Catera? I thought 97 was the first year for the Cats. At least in the US that's the way it is.