: Remove Scratches

jewelz
04-21-05, 03:32 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on products that remove scrathces?

Kev
04-21-05, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Scratches, quite a varied subject. They can be filled in, covered over or, if they aren't too deep the surfaced can be polished down to match the depth of the scratch.

A little more specifics on what type of scratches you are dealing with would help narrow the choices of repair.

Swirl marks on paint surfaces can be cleaned up nicely with proper detailing, polishing compound and glaze. Deeper scratches which go through the paint to the under coat must be filled in with color, either touch up paint or some product that has color in it.

Give us a little more info on what you need.

AllenPacla
04-21-05, 04:30 PM
Just in case, which brand of touch up paint is dependable? I am thinking of fixing the scratches and chips on my car, specially the hood when small rocks hit it, it just keep on chipping away. And with regards to filling, do I just fill it with a spatula? Does it need some sanding? I mean the chips are like 2mm in diameter sometimes. I'm thinking if i fill a chip for example and get it even with the surface, would touching it up bring the touch up paint with a little bulge( i hope you are getting what i mean). Because i noticed that touch up paints creates this mark that is not only visible but also is easily felt with touch. I am guessing that if that happens then polishing it would be the next step, but there is a possibility that the touch up paint would go with polishing. So how is this touching up supposed to be done? Thanks for any info.

Kev
04-21-05, 04:53 PM
I'm not a paint pro but, depending on the year of your car and fading, you can see if the dealer still has touch up paint in stock. This would only look good for relatively new cars that have not yet faded much. If it is older and you really want it to look good with only touch up paint then I would go to a good auto body and paint shop in your area and see if they mix and sell touch up paint.

If so, they can mix the color to match yours and would likely give you suggestions as to the best way to apply it. You will have to prepare the surface for the paint in order for it to adhere, remove wax, dirt and grease etc. If it is done right you should be able to buff and polish over it without fear of it coming off.

If there are a lot of flaws in the paint then you should consider having it repainted if it's worth it to you.

jewelz
04-22-05, 12:29 PM
Well, I have chips, light scratches, deep scrathces and swirls. I think alot of it is from the ice we had this winter (new england). Some of them are pretty noticible. My car is gold, I have some touch up paint, but I am afraid it will look awful. I know that detailing shops use a compound, but I wanted to try to take care of the more obnoxious scratched before I have it detailed.

Kev
04-22-05, 12:53 PM
Well, I have chips, light scratches, deep scrathces and swirls. I think alot of it is from the ice we had this winter (new england). Some of them are pretty noticible. My car is gold, I have some touch up paint, but I am afraid it will look awful. I know that detailing shops use a compound, but I wanted to try to take care of the more obnoxious scratched before I have it detailed.Some detailing shops will apply the touch up paint for you. If you know the qualitiy of workmanship at the place you are taking the car you may want to consider asking them to do it.

salvatrucho519
04-28-05, 05:03 PM
i got ride of some light and minor scratches with a "Mothers" clay bar and a buffer. i also have a gold catera

salvatrucho519
04-28-05, 05:06 PM
i also have a gold catera.. got rid of some light and minor scratches with a "Mothers Cali Gold" clay bar and a buffer.