: info about a 77 coupe deville

sizanjdf
04-21-05, 01:46 PM
I have a 1977 coupe deville and I have yet to find anything about this car. The interior in odd it is half vinyl and half cloth with a 50/50 split seat. It has a tape player...I havent seen any 77s with tape players in them, just 8 tracks. the car sat for 10 yrs and I changed the oil in it and put gas in it and fired it up...it ran alright for a day and then it just ran like crap after that and smoked like a freight train. If you can keep it running it sounds pretty good, no pinging or knocking. I was hoping someone could give me some info on what options were available in 77 and what I could do to get the motor running better. thanks

notyettoday
04-21-05, 11:27 PM
sounds to me like the carb could use a rebuild... 10 years is a long time, and i assume the gas wasnt drained from the carb and gas tank before it was stored.. i'd reccomend getting all of the old gas out of the tank too...

as for the options, i'll list the options on my 78 fleetwood, i assume these would be available, possibly more

power windows/locks/driver seat
power antenna
am/fm radio w/cb
passenger visor lighted vanity mirror
rear window defogger
power trunk pull down
telescopic/tilt wheel
cruise control
delay wipers
leather
trip odometer

other options available that come to mind:
twilight sentinel, power passenger seat, astroroof

hope this helps and good luck, some of those options may be 78 specific, i'm just saying what i know

sizanjdf
04-22-05, 01:34 AM
I rebuilt the carb already and it doesnt seem to have helped...Itll start and run it just either runs terrible or idles extremely high...like 2000rpm...could I have slipped the timing chain?

notyettoday
04-22-05, 08:16 AM
the timing chain could be stretched, possibly it was driven hard before it was stored?

but if you get it started and it idles at about 2000rpms, that means the choke is closed and the high idle is running, when my car starts in the morning (425 v8, which i'm 95% sure is the same that you have) if the choke doesnt keep the idle up until the motor is fairly warm, then my car runs like crap and stalls all the time, you have to try to warm it up and maybe it will run better afterwards.

Have you given it a tuneup? if not, i'd reccomend doing a full tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve) and see how it runs after that...

I had an old truck that did exactly what you described.. i bought it, it had sat for a long time and it ran like poop for about the first week-2 weeks i drove it, did a tune up and an oil change and ran premium in it for a while and it ran good as new. food for thought...