: Flex disc / driveshaft coupler Camaro part number & SGF replacement

10-06-13, 09:31 PM
The Short:
I have a 2005 CTS-V. Is this the correct Camaro part for replacing the drive shaft coupler:

92249108 (http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/p/__/COUPLING-KIT-Propeller-Shaft-Pinion/6371924/92249108.html)

The Background:
I just purchased a 2005 CTS-V a few days ago with 81k miles. The diff swap was done by the original owner. Only other obvious upgrades are B&M shifter, Lingenfelter CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust.

Looks like all the soft stuff in the driveline is worn out (rather expected), and I've ordered the Creative Steel kit already. Since the shop will be dropping the diff to do the bushings, I ordered the GForce axles to be swapped in. With all the work being done, I figured I might as well replace the driveline coupler (flex disc, six-shooter) at the same time. I've had the car gone over by both the local Caddy shop and a very experienced GM Master Tech. Neither has called out this as an issue, but since everything will be apart already...

So, I have pretty well exhaustively read everything there is to read about drive shaft couplers on this forum and the LS1TECH forum. It looks like for a Gen 1, I have the following options:

Complete OEM Drive Shaft (not really an option)
Aftermarket Drive Shaft (probably out of budget)
RevShift Flex Disc (and possible driveline alignment work)
2010 Camaro part

The last two options are the ones that I prefer. I'll be calling the shop on Monday to see if they would be comfortable doing the tranny alignment and installing the RevShift part. Or... I'll be fine getting the Camaro part. I don't really plan on doing a bunch of HP upgrades on the car anytime soon. I want this to last a long time and don't want to introduce additional wear into the system.

So, with all that said, is the Camaro part listed above the correct one? Should I expect a GM Master Tech to be able to align the drive line well enough, or should I be looking for a specialty shop? (I'm in Austin).

Has anyone actually used the Camaro part with success?

10-06-13, 11:21 PM
I don't recall hearing about anyone trying it. Are you sure it cannot be purchased separately from the dealer? Give Luke at Lindsay Cadillac a call and see.

10-07-13, 12:14 PM
Just got off the phone with Luke, and he hasn't heard of anyone using the Camaro part.

I'm wondering if the RevShift product would do okay since I'm remounting everything in the drive line anyway -- motor mounts, tranny, diff... Of course, that's all with CS parts but they should be the same spec's, right?

I'm not planning on doing any HP upgrades in the near future, so perhaps I'll just order the Camaro part and give it a go.

Anyone have an opinion? I'm very new to this car.

10-07-13, 02:20 PM
The Camaro part has been mentioned in the past, like in this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/226621-bad-ass-couplers-soon-reality.html) and this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/254627-driveshaft-coupler.html). Revshift said the parts are different, but a couple of folks said they were the same. I don't know what the right answer is.

10-07-13, 02:34 PM
Looks like I'll play the guinea pig on this one. I found a local dealer that will let me special order the part running the risk of a 15% restock fee. That's about what I'd have to pay to ship it back to someone if it doesn't work, so that's a wash. Since everything will be torn apart next week, I'm going to include this part. I'll go take a look at them both with the tech once it's all disassembled and decide from there.

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Honestly, if anyone else has dealt with this and found a solution you like, please let me know.

10-17-13, 10:10 AM

When I looked at the parts side-by-side, the new part (number above) did look like it had slightly different metal collars. However, the dimensions of the part seemed to match. I've had it on the car now for about 125 miles, including a fair amount of highway driving. No vibrations at any speed. For those of you looking to replace the stock part with a similar stock part, it looks like this is a good option. I wish there was a Creative Steel option that was in-between this part and (what appears to be) the very unforgiving RevShift part. Since I'm mostly stock, I didn't think I needed an upgraded part here. The stock one looked worn, but no tears after 81k miles on the original.

02-03-15, 11:25 AM
So you did go with the Camaro flex disc? Did the drive shaft need [to be] aligned? I was going to attempt this job on my own. Looking at the Rev Shift instructions the exhaust needs [to be] dropped to gain access to the drive shaft. Then make sure to have a mark to assemble the drive shaft back in the original position.
Thanks for the info. Mine needs [to be] changed due to vibration issues.

02-03-15, 02:39 PM
Yes, I used the Camaro part. I didn't take anything to get realigned, and I haven't had any issues. I did this right after I purchased the car. It had 81k miles, so it was time for all the soft stuff in the drive train to be replaced. So, I took the "while you're in there approach" to save on labor. All at once I did:

* Creative Steel motor mounts
* Creative Steel trans mount
* Creative Steel diff bushing and diff block
* GForce axles
* Camaro drive shaft coupler (guibo)

I've been quite happy with the results. However, everything was loose enough in the car when I bought it that I didn't really drive it until all the work was done. With just over 100k on the car now, I'm quite happy with how tight everything still is. The sales guy at the shop loves it when I bring my car in for him to work on. He used to have one himself. This is his after new cams and cat-delete: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEbmaGVYZsw

02-09-15, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to order on tomorrow. Glad it worked out for you.

03-18-15, 04:12 PM
I just Installed this flex coupling 92249108 (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14267054358168&key=99b92d6e152eb9d1dde89f41fbc2db4b&libId=i7f3kp940100272e000DA17zci0n9ma5f8&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cadillacforums.com%2Fforums%2 F2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance%2F380585-flex-disc-drive-shaft-coupler-camaro.html&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tonkinonlineparts.com%2Fp%2F_ _%2FCOUPLING-KIT-Propeller-Shaft-Pinion%2F6371924%2F92249108.html&title=Flex%20Disc%20%2F%20Drive%20shaft%20Coupler% 20Camaro%20part%20number&txt=92249108) in my 2005 CTS-V and it fits perfect and is too made in Germany. My vibration is now totally gone feels like a new car. My old one did not look bad but compared to the new one it was a lot "harder". I'm guessing that because the exhaust system runs right below it over time it baked it"

The only bad /scary part is removing the exhaust system to gain access to flex coupling bolts make sure to spray some brand of rust/penetrator before you begin on exhaust bolts

03-18-15, 07:47 PM
First I've heard about the flex disc getting hard over time but it makes total sense. Thanks for posting....

03-18-15, 10:46 PM
Good to get confirmation of one that fits, with the part number and everything. Thanks!

07-19-15, 01:02 PM
based on info here, I purchased a camaro flex disc as a replacement for my old V1 unit. Got the impression this was a direct swap but of course, it isn't.

The V1 disc has collars on either side that allow it to index into the transmission and the driveshaft. The camaro unit has these collars too but unforutnately, one side is different that the V1 disc so it won't index as needed.

The collars on the V1 disc are the same size on either side whereas the camaro disc are different sizes on either side.

Not excited about putting this in without it being properly indexed.

Any thoughts?

07-19-15, 08:12 PM
I went ahead and installed the Camaro part because after considering my options, I figured out that I really don't have any....its the Camaro part or nothing so in it went.

I tried pressing the collars out of my old flex disc in an attempt to swap them over but that was not happening.

When I first posted, I was in that "just crawled out from under the car" delirium but after I chilled out for a few, I realized that the driveshaft is indexed off the output shaft directly which leads me to believe that the flex disc is sorta kinda just along for the ride.

I installed it with the side that would index going into the driveshaft for no particular reason. I was also concerned that the extra thickness created by thicker collars not seating into the output flange might bind things up a bit but the shaft still floated nicely even with the extra length created by the non indexing nature of the new flex disc. With the bolts installed, there was very little movement side to side through the bolt hole so in the end, I don't think the driveline is missing this lack of indexing on one side of the flex disc.

While I was at it, I used the "revshift" method for checking alignment and found that I had to elongate the holes in the carrier bearing mount in order to move it over enough to get where I need to be.

Was it worth...hell yea. The car has never been smoother despite my reservations about using this part.

07-19-15, 11:22 PM
Good to know. Thanks! Do you have the part number of the replacement?

07-20-15, 10:40 AM
I used the 92249108. Ordered it from Luke at Lindsay and he was within $5 of everyone else and I actually dealt with a human. Saw the part in 3 days.

07-20-15, 08:53 PM
The CS bore scope alignment tool is brilliance. Simply slide it over the indexing shaft on the transmission....

07-23-15, 12:44 PM
Good info!

08-04-15, 06:51 PM
I just received mine today and ordered it off GM parts direct part#92249108. Mine only came with 3 bolts, nuts and two of the washers fell out of the box. Did the rest of yalls come with 6 or 3 bolts? Do you have suggestions on replacement ones at a local auto store? would rather use Hex head vs the star bolts sent.

08-05-15, 11:14 PM
The CS bore scope alignment tool is brilliance. Simply slide it over the indexing shaft on the transmission....

Where do you get this from the bore alignment tool? I just got my coupler part#92249108. I was scared to install it too because of the difference with the indexing bushing? I had a revshift coupler on there also have the voodoo center carriage bushing but had horrible vibrations.

08-06-15, 05:04 PM
Creative Steel will rent you this tool.

The camaro disc would have to be better than the revshift part. IMHO and as far as I know, I haven't seen any confirmable reports from any reliable sources that the revshift part will work unless your driveshaft is perfectly straight and perfectly aligned with the output flange of the transmission. The reason it doesn't seem to work that well is because none of use have perfectly aligned driveshafts and at least mine wasn't perfectly straight either although it was very very close. The output flange "fingers" didn't seem to be perfectly straight with each other either based on checking the runout of the output flange with a dial indicator...close, but not quite. Because none of this is perfect, the disc has to flex at least a little to make up for these imperfections and the revshift part, as far as I'm concerned, is to hard to flex as we need it too. As the factory V1 disc ages, it gets pretty cooked and thus starts loosing its ability to flex and the more out of line your driveshaft is, the more the disc will need to flex.

This will all be magnified by motor and transmission mounts that may change driveshaft angles as they sag with age or from replacements that are slightly taller or shorter than the factory mounts are designed to be. The UMIs I previously had in the car were not great in this regard and I was glad to get rid of them.

The camaro part seems to be working well in my car but if I ever see a need to take the car that far apart again, I will be trying to modify a camaro disc to work 100% in the V1. I'll do this by taking it to a machinist I use for work and blackmailing him into at least trying to either machine down the collar or drill it/cut it out and press in a new insert/collar. We'll see but for now, the camaro disc it is....

08-06-15, 05:13 PM
I just received mine today and ordered it off GM parts direct part#92249108. Mine only came with 3 bolts, nuts and two of the washers fell out of the box. Did the rest of yalls come with 6 or 3 bolts? Do you have suggestions on replacement ones at a local auto store? would rather use Hex head vs the star bolts sent.
Mine only came with 3 so I just reused the old ones....

09-23-15, 10:40 PM
I'm going to be installing a voodoochikin improved driveshaft in the near future, so I was looking around online to see about replacing the flex disk while I've got things apart. Since the Camaro part isn't quite a direct fit, I did some more looking around. Rockauto.com lists a Dorman part number that isn't correct - they (Dorman) show the same parts for the V6 and CTS-V, but the driveshafts are different, as are the flex disks. On ls1tech, Revshift posted a couple years ago that they had bought the Dorman part and compared it to a stocker and it's not right.

In searching around I stumbled across this ad on Ebay for an SGF (German company) flex disk for $95 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201328982731?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). The listing shows they've sold some, but I don't believe I've seen anyone post about these here or on ls1tech. I looked at their website (which is towards the bottom of the Ebay listing) and they list the flex disk separately there for ~$25 more than the Ebay listing. Of note, their web site shows 3 CTS driveshaft options (looking at a 2005 CTS) - V6 manual, V6 automatic, and CTS-V manual - as they should. Unlike the Dorman part, these guys show a different flex disk part number for the CTS-V, which strikes me as a good sign, since we know the parts are actually different.

I took the part number from their ad and went looking for that elsewhere online. WIPGAP01-003 doesn't come up with anything, but GAP01-003 does - www.powertrainindustries.com shows that as the flex disk that comes with their 3694-221 driveshaft assembly for our cars. OK, good, now I have 2 separate sites listing that as the correct flex disk. Interestingly enough, that part number also comes up as the flex disk for the '03-10 Porsche Cayenne / VW Touaeoeueareg ;); Rockauto.com shows Dorman 935-107 for that application for ~$95.

Even better, if I search for SGF GAP01-003 on Amazon, I find it for only $79 (http://www.amazon.com/SGF-GAP01-003-German-Coupler-Circle/dp/B00MYF4IP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1443051448&sr=1-1&keywords=sgf+GAP01-003). That's $15-20 cheaper than the OEM Camaro part that started this thread, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

09-25-15, 09:12 AM
I went ahead and ordered the SGF part (GAP01-003) from that Amazon listing. I don't think I'll be doing the driveshaft replacement until the 2nd weekend in October, so it'll be a little while before I have confirmation that the part is correct, but I don't expect to have any issues.

09-28-15, 10:21 PM
I received the SGF part today (ordered on Friday from Amazon, received on Monday, free shipping - booyah!). Dimensions and markings seem to match up perfectly with details for the OEM flex disk posted by another member over on ls1tech. I won't actually get around to installing it for another couple weeks, but it seems that SGF GAP01-003 is legit.