: Flex Disc / Drive shaft Coupler Camaro part number

AggieV
10-06-13, 08:31 PM
The Short:
I have a 2005 CTS-V. Is this the correct Camaro part for replacing the drive shaft coupler:

92249108 (http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/p/__/COUPLING-KIT-Propeller-Shaft-Pinion/6371924/92249108.html)

The Background:
I just purchased a 2005 CTS-V a few days ago with 81k miles. The diff swap was done by the original owner. Only other obvious upgrades are B&M shifter, Lingenfelter CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust.

Looks like all the soft stuff in the driveline is worn out (rather expected), and I've ordered the Creative Steel kit already. Since the shop will be dropping the diff to do the bushings, I ordered the GForce axles to be swapped in. With all the work being done, I figured I might as well replace the driveline coupler (flex disc, six-shooter) at the same time. I've had the car gone over by both the local Caddy shop and a very experienced GM Master Tech. Neither has called out this as an issue, but since everything will be apart already...

So, I have pretty well exhaustively read everything there is to read about drive shaft couplers on this forum and the LS1TECH forum. It looks like for a Gen 1, I have the following options:

Complete OEM Drive Shaft (not really an option)
Aftermarket Drive Shaft (probably out of budget)
RevShift Flex Disc (and possible driveline alignment work)
2010 Camaro part

The last two options are the ones that I prefer. I'll be calling the shop on Monday to see if they would be comfortable doing the tranny alignment and installing the RevShift part. Or... I'll be fine getting the Camaro part. I don't really plan on doing a bunch of HP upgrades on the car anytime soon. I want this to last a long time and don't want to introduce additional wear into the system.

So, with all that said, is the Camaro part listed above the correct one? Should I expect a GM Master Tech to be able to align the drive line well enough, or should I be looking for a specialty shop? (I'm in Austin).

Has anyone actually used the Camaro part with success?

PISNUOFF
10-06-13, 10:21 PM
I don't recall hearing about anyone trying it. Are you sure it cannot be purchased separately from the dealer? Give Luke at Lindsay Cadillac a call and see.

AggieV
10-07-13, 11:14 AM
Just got off the phone with Luke, and he hasn't heard of anyone using the Camaro part.

I'm wondering if the RevShift product would do okay since I'm remounting everything in the drive line anyway -- motor mounts, tranny, diff... Of course, that's all with CS parts but they should be the same spec's, right?

I'm not planning on doing any HP upgrades in the near future, so perhaps I'll just order the Camaro part and give it a go.

Anyone have an opinion? I'm very new to this car.

AAIIIC
10-07-13, 01:20 PM
The Camaro part has been mentioned in the past, like in this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/226621-bad-ass-couplers-soon-reality.html) and this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/254627-driveshaft-coupler.html). Revshift said the parts are different, but a couple of folks said they were the same. I don't know what the right answer is.

AggieV
10-07-13, 01:34 PM
Looks like I'll play the guinea pig on this one. I found a local dealer that will let me special order the part running the risk of a 15% restock fee. That's about what I'd have to pay to ship it back to someone if it doesn't work, so that's a wash. Since everything will be torn apart next week, I'm going to include this part. I'll go take a look at them both with the tech once it's all disassembled and decide from there.

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Honestly, if anyone else has dealt with this and found a solution you like, please let me know.

AggieV
10-17-13, 09:10 AM
UPDATE:

When I looked at the parts side-by-side, the new part (number above) did look like it had slightly different metal collars. However, the dimensions of the part seemed to match. I've had it on the car now for about 125 miles, including a fair amount of highway driving. No vibrations at any speed. For those of you looking to replace the stock part with a similar stock part, it looks like this is a good option. I wish there was a Creative Steel option that was in-between this part and (what appears to be) the very unforgiving RevShift part. Since I'm mostly stock, I didn't think I needed an upgraded part here. The stock one looked worn, but no tears after 81k miles on the original.