: Just ordered used engine

MightyBright1
04-21-05, 01:31 PM
I just bought a 99 Y code northstar with 29K miles. It should arrive early next week for transplant into my 98 seville SLS. Should I make any improvements to the engine before installing (timeserts, sensors, gaskets, etc)? I bought this engine because of bad gaskets on the original motor. What should I do with the old one?

davesdeville
04-21-05, 06:54 PM
Why didn't you timesert the old one? Seems like it would've been cheaper. That said, timesert and sell the old one.

MightyBright1
04-21-05, 10:58 PM
I did'nt do anything to the old one because of the costs and that it was reported there was a lower end knock from a dealer. I brought it to another shop and he pulled a bearing out and I said forget about it...

zonie77
04-22-05, 12:43 AM
With a bad rod bearing the old engine isn't worth much but you might see if someone on th eforums wants it.

Regarding the new engine, I would probably timesert it. It's a lot of work to install and you don't know how good the head gaskets are on this engine. It's a fairly easy job while the engine is out.

cart69
04-22-05, 02:12 PM
i may be interested in the old motor for something new to play with!!! although its quite a drive for me to come get it, let me know what you decide to do with it, i have wanted one of these motors to tinker with for a long time, just been waiting for a junk one to show up!!!

MightyBright1
04-22-05, 02:24 PM
I am going to bring it to the house. I don't know what I will do with it yet. I am not sure it is junk though. Can probably be fixed.

cart69
04-22-05, 06:21 PM
well just save my name somewhere and if you decide to get rid of it let me know, but i am only interested if its messed up, i dont want a fixed or rebuilt one because i plan to tear it all apart, just keep me in mind

MightyBright1
04-22-05, 08:36 PM
I understand.