: PISSED...ran out of gas with...

Florian
04-20-05, 10:37 PM
1/4 tank still showing and '140 miles" on the fuel distance monitor. The V just burped and died. F*&king tank. Gonna shred Caddy on this one. The saving grace was that Onstar sent out Caddy Cust. Svc in about 30 mins with gas (free) and I was on my way. Im happy it was only fuel, but the 1/4 tank has me concerned. Dammit. :hmm:

Florian

homer403
04-20-05, 10:43 PM
Florian, quick question... three of us with about 1/4 tank lost throttle, one just flat out died (needed to be towed off the track) on the race track. But all eventually started up again. Just wondering??? When you fillied up, did it required a full tank?

Florian
04-20-05, 10:51 PM
Good Q..the Caddy Cust svc guy put close to 5 gals in (it looked like a 5 gal can) and then I hit the Sunoco and dumped in 12.4 more...so roughly 17.4 total on our 17.5 capacity.....just frustrated by the reading....could be dangerous.

Florian

Florian
04-20-05, 10:52 PM
BTW, mine cranked fine, plenty of amps...but no juice to make it catch. Definately fuel starvation.

Florian

Dave's V
04-20-05, 11:03 PM
It sounds like a poor reading given the amount of gas that was put in the tank. I wonder why it would show 140 miles though. Do you use the fuel used part of the computer? I use it mostly as a back up. Maybe have Cadillac check it out.

Florian
04-20-05, 11:09 PM
Dave,

Im not sure why it read the way it did. I use the Fuel Used in the computer as a precaution and usually top off by the time I hit 100 miles. The messed up thing was I was on the exit ramp to the gas station that I frequent (about 2 miles down the road) and was planning on topping it up. The needle never did correct itself to E or even near it. Just taunted me at just under 1/4, as the needle actually was contacting the hash mark. Bastard needle!!!!! :banghead:

Florian

StealthV
04-20-05, 11:59 PM
Doesn't the V have twin tanks and a pump to keep them both at the same level? The side tank with the fuel feed may have been dry and the fuel level sender side perhaps truly did have a 1/4 tank. Is the sender and fuel pickup in the same tank? Is this all just a figment of my imagination? :hmm:

My V is on about 1/8 tank right now; I'm thinking I should fill up on the way to work tomorrow or else suffer what we shall now dub "The Florian Curse." :)

Glad to hear On$tar got you going again.

Florian
04-21-05, 09:49 AM
Hope I didnt jinx anyone..... :eek:

Florian (the cursed)

globed70
04-21-05, 10:05 AM
The inaccurate reading is well known, but this sounds a bit different. Most of us have experienced the non-linearity of the readings as the fuel level decreases. But to show 1/4 tank and be empty... sounds like a guage or fuel sender unit or something problem. My Viper GTS did this to me on a drive from London to Switzerland... damn thing showed 1/3 tank and died. I'd fill up and pay attention as you go towards 1/4 tank to understand whether you have travelled 17 gallons * your average mpg. Dan

cguthrie
04-21-05, 11:34 AM
My 99STS burned me once. When it gets near 1/4, it stays OR goes back to full! I'm sure its a sensor, but since the car has 111K, I just reset the A odometer like a bike, & fuel up before it hits 300.

Chris
99STS 111K

trukk
04-21-05, 01:01 PM
Did you just start driving after parking with the hood facing downhill (on a driveway perhaps)?

I usually park facing uphill, and notice when I first start, that the fuel meter is lower than it should be.

Food for thought,

Chris

Florian
04-21-05, 01:50 PM
naw, just at the end of a 150 mile jaunt on the highway....had been running well for 2 hrs.

dunno :cookoo:

the cursed one

Florian

VMeUpScotty
04-21-05, 02:01 PM
yeah that sucks! that happened to me when i had my '97 DeVille back in the day...

slow35th
04-21-05, 02:29 PM
I am not sure if this was your problem but I had a similar problem on a GM truck. What had happened was this: The fuel pickup and the float that measures fuel height (sending unit) in the tank are the same assembly. The fuel pickup which sits below the float has a plastic sock on it that acts as screen filter. The filter/sock had folded back upon itself (from the gas sloshing around, I suppose), hanging up on the float and preventing it from traveling to the bottom of the tank thus showing about a quarter of a tank. Needless to say the tank was run dry yet the gauge wrongly showed plenty of fuel available.

chris_v
04-21-05, 03:34 PM
On a similar note: My 04 CTS was really low on gas,(needle on E), I filled it up but the needle stayed stuck on E for a couple days. :banghead: :hmm:

It wasn't til I drove down a slightly bumpy dirt road that it freed up. Its working normal now. Sure glad it started working. Saved me a trip to the dealer.

:coolgleam

PhilV
04-21-05, 04:35 PM
I've had the same non-linear readings on the gage on my 98 Concours. Just chalked it up to a ideosyncrocy in the gage. I have also been having a divergence of readings between my Fuel Used computer reading and what I actually pumped. I've even been tempted to check out the pump accuracy, but my friendly gas station guy swears it is ok. ??? Anyone else had this disparity of readings?

ral1960
04-21-05, 04:48 PM
Florian, Cadillac owners never say that they're "pissed". Better choices are "Egad!", "Zounds!", and "D___ it".

Our company Chevy pickup's fuel needle would move to half a tank and then swing back and forth when the fuel was low. Over $300 to fix it.

holstbnet
04-21-05, 06:55 PM
MMmmm CTS-V... How could you be pissed owning one? I'd kill with my bare hands in cold blood for a V. <drooling>

Anyways -- make sure this is just a fluke and not a definite sender problem. Running really low or completely out of fuel can burn out your fuel pump over time, as the pump is actually cooled by the fuel passing through it. I've burned one out that way due to a bad sender.

Sandyfoot-V
04-21-05, 08:58 PM
V sputtered to a stop just after the pit on turn 1 (!) at Sebring. Turns out… no fuel! Came to a stop. The engine fired up without hesitation. Nursed the V to the pits around 16 other turns for a $2.80/gal re-fuel. Remember, hard “Gs” will slosh the fuel away from the intake.

I’ve hit Empty— fuel light on, on “E”— on the freeway and have coasted to the gas station once before. The fuel gauge is, unfortunately, very accurate.

I should know better...

Keyth
04-22-05, 06:03 AM
I like the diagnostic mode that shows real time gas gauge info while driving down the road.. :coolgleam

Claude
04-22-05, 12:36 PM
My 98 DeVille started giving me false indications on the fuel gage. When I fill it up it alternates between a "full" indication and a "fuel low" complete with the bells and sirens (Very irritating!). After it burns of about 4-5 gallons the gage settles down. I don't know whether to trust the computer indications of how much gas used or whether those systems are tied together.
Someone told me that it is probably the fuel sender unit located in the gas tank. I have also been told that on some cars you need to drop the tank to replace it -- on others there is a place in the trunk under the carpet where you can access and replace it without dropping the tank.
Does anyone have further knowledge and experience with this problem?
Thanks for your help.
Claude

PaulF
04-25-05, 03:14 PM
Hope I didnt jinx anyone..... :eek:

Florian (the cursed)

Ran out of gas yesterday my stupidity!!!!