: Darn Goodyear Damaged my Wheel - Help

SoFlaCTS-V
04-20-05, 06:41 PM
Hi Everyone. Just a board rookie here. 3 months in my Stealth Gray V.

Was curious is anyone has had a wheel repaired/repainted? I needed a new tire and Goodyear scratched the edge of my rim while struggling to put it on. :tisk:
They claim I'm too anal and that everytime you put a tire on a rim it is going to get "nicked" up a bit. I cannot believe this! Those $2000 bling-bling rims will be damaged everytime a tire is taken off and put on???? Seems verrrry odd. :suspense:

Anyways, they are now having trouble with a reputable body shop refinishing the rim with a lack of color codes. The claim our rims are imported from overseas and are painted with lead based paint, which is not prohibited in the US. They refuse just to replace the rim, so this paint saga is still ongoing.

Anyone experience similar issues? Advice? Hi all South Florida Vs.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help.
SoFlaCTS-V

slow35th
04-20-05, 06:52 PM
Too Anal???? I have been accused of that. Not possible. Post pics.

akm2k5
04-20-05, 06:54 PM
They damage your crap and say you are being too anal?

Devil_concours
04-20-05, 07:02 PM
When i had my tires mounted, there wasn't a single nick on my aftermarket wheel.

SoFlaCTS-V
04-20-05, 07:11 PM
Thanks Devil and others so far!

SoFlaCTS-V

2004ctsv
04-20-05, 07:16 PM
You need to find the manager's car. Remind him that he has to expect some damage from parking in a lot with public access.

I'll be he gets the message.

Tony

BTW - if you care about the condition of your wheels, you don't go to a tire factory like Goodyear or NTW

SoFlaCTS-V
04-20-05, 07:23 PM
Hi Tony:

Last car I had I took it to a well known local spot that specializes in rims and tires. All the "big boys" go there. This time I figured I'd go to a run flat certified Goodyear delaler figuring how bad could they f__k it up? Just replace the tire, geez.

I should have gone with my gut instincts like I did with my previous car. Brutal.

SoFlaCTS-V

slow35th
04-20-05, 07:28 PM
And that crap about lead based paint........:rolleyes2 :rant2:

They are imported though, from Italy, they are Speedline wheels

RobzBLKV
04-20-05, 07:32 PM
If it were me, I would start talking about the police and the Better Business Bureau. That's what they have insurance for and it's part of the cost of doing business. If they can't get their own tires off your wheels without damaging the wheel, they shouldn't have tried.

dreamcarc6
04-20-05, 07:32 PM
I think it is extremely difficult to get a run-flat tire off the rim without nicking/scuffing/scratching the rim a little.

Devil_concours
04-20-05, 07:38 PM
I think it is extremely difficult to get a run-flat tire off the rim without nicking/scuffing/scratching the rim a little.
Well if that was going to be the case, they should have told him before they started scratching his wheels

PneuBird
04-20-05, 07:53 PM
A tire jockey at NTW replaced my run-flats with Dunlop Winter sports and did not put one nick in my rims. It's all in how you do it and your experience at changing run-flats. Always talk to the guy changing the tires and get his level of experience. :tisk: :2thumbs: :rofl:

SoFlaCTS-V
04-20-05, 08:00 PM
Interesting. Thanks all.

The rim isn't trashed, but there is a 6 inch groove/scratch along the edge of the wheel. Unacceptable damage. They didn't tell me that they may scratch my wheel because they assume it is "common knowledge" that some minor damage could occur. :confused: It sounds like the general opinion is that no damage should occur regardless of your rim/tire combination.

dreamcar6, your opinion is interesting. Is this considered the "little" damage you feel can happen?

SoFlaCTS-V

Dave's V
04-20-05, 08:11 PM
You would think the guy would of got a clue after he scratched it 2 inches, but 4 more. Don't make any threats, hidden or not, to the manager. Instead talk to him, if he won't buy a new rim, talk to his boss. Get the BBB involved. Police will just laugh and probably don't have the time anyways.

When I get work done on my car, I make sure it is extremely clean. I look at it before I leave the lot.

04-20-05, 08:59 PM
Wheel paint thread with paint code and supplier info:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30058&highlight=wheel+paint

I has a similar problem, I ended up carefully touching up the scratch with the light platinum touch up paint. not perfect, but good enough for me. But I too was pissed, and you have every right to be. For $50K (or $5K) we can be as anal as we want to be. You are entitled to have the car returned to you in the same condition as you dropped it off, but with any improvements that you pay for. Cosmetic "damage", minor or otherwise, is not typically part of the deal.

2004ctsv
04-20-05, 09:00 PM
Maybe one of the veteran posters can help out here. I remember someone mentioning a brand of tire mounting equipment that was made for tough tires and expensive wheels.

Tony

Rich H
04-20-05, 09:03 PM
I had my first flat fixed at an EMT certified Goodyear dealer and they didn't put a single mark on the wheel. But the guy who did the work was the only person who handled this machine so he knew what he was doing.

However, when I took my car to my Caddy dealer for a tire/wheel balance they screwed up a rim (dragged the tool for about 6 inches along the lip near the bead) when they dismounted a tire and rotated it 180. They tried to give me a bunch of crap that their machine could havenever done it since it "can't touch the wheel". However, they ended up replacing the wheel.

Bottom line - regardless of the machine, it all depends on who's using it and how much experience they have.

Texan V
04-20-05, 09:11 PM
That really sucks. I'll be sure to ask lots of questions prior to having my runflats replaced in the next couple weeks.

I have had two wheels repaired here in Houston (pot holes :annoyed: ) at a place called Wheels America and they did an excellent job both times. Two of my friends also had wheels there and I have never heard a complaint. Anyway, I looked online and saw that they also have a location in Florida (Miami) in case your interested...

http://fixrim.com/loc.htm

SoFlaCTS-V
04-20-05, 09:13 PM
Thanks Texan V, Rich 6104696, and everyone else. Great info.

SoFlaCTS-V

MLV
04-20-05, 09:20 PM
When I had my run flats replaced the dealer said he did not have the propeer equipment to do the job without damaging the rims, so he sent them somewhere else. I got them back with no scratches or dings. They need to replace your wheel.

darvish
04-20-05, 09:36 PM
http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/tirechanger/4328T/index.htm

http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/PPT/sldeshow.htm

Take a look at these.. i hope they help.

Bill
St Louis

msheri01
04-21-05, 07:35 AM
The wheel should not have been damaged by changing the tire, or else it would come damaged on the car when it was new. If what they say is true, every brand new V would have damaged wheels, since the tire had to get on the wheel the first time. :mad: I would suggest that you provide them in writing an estimate for the cost of replacing the wheel, parts and labor, along with a photo of the damage. I would include a letter stating a specified time frame to provide compensation, or that you will contact the BBB, and if necessary, sue them in small claims court. Make sure you have the name of the person who said this is "normal damage" for your records, and I am sure forum friends who have had tires replaced without damage would be willing to provide you backup that this is not "normal":) Sad that this occurs, but with the proper equipment, you still need a competent operator.

SoFlaCTS-V
04-21-05, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the insight msheri01! Great links darvish!

The battle continues

SoFlaCTS-V

DansCTSV
04-21-05, 11:24 AM
I took my car to a local shop to have a tire repaired. They didn't damage the rim (note the tire had to be patched from the inside) but they did break the air pressure sensor. Luckily a local Cadillac dealership had one in stock. They lost money on that $20 repair.

Dan

akm2k5
04-21-05, 12:34 PM
wow, you guys are awsome.. Now I feel much safer. Now ill have the knowledge the next time I go get my tires replaced...

DJCadillacman
04-22-05, 09:44 AM
Anytime we need a rim repaired we use a company called Turbax. They just fixed a CTS custom rim for me and it came out great.

Dan Jones
Service Mgr Vera Cadillac

FastVee
04-22-05, 10:44 AM
first of all....there are tire machines (ie hunter) that can install tires without touching the rim. second...when you bought your new CTSV with runflats, did anyone noticed scratched rims, i think not. which means that properly installed tires with the touchless machines can mean "no scratches." do you think shows like" pimp my ride" can survive scratching all those "bling bling" rims on tv.i think not!

SoFlaCTS-V
04-22-05, 02:06 PM
*****UPDATE

I got my car back and my refinished wheel. I must say it looks great. They finally got the right color code as they had to refinish it twice. Anbody wants color code info., etc. I can put them in touch with the body shop that refinished the wheel. Looks like they clear coated it enough. ;)

Thanks for all of the help!
SoFlaCTS-V