: Yet another acoustic question. (subwoofer direction)

Bishop
04-20-05, 05:02 PM
1990 Brougham

I've taken tips to make cuts in the rear deck, and i've made two holes and drilled littles holes through the 'wood' of the rear deck. the bass is improved, but i'm convinced i need to get a bigger woofer than just two tens.

At the moment my subwoofers are pointed towards the hood as opposed to being pointed to the back of the trunk (ie bumper)...now my question is, does it matter where they are pointed? I'm looking for a really heavy thump instead of the white boy thump i have going on right now. Does it sound or thump better when having to echo through the trunk or is it better facing me towards the hood while in the trunk. The main reason i ask is because i've noticed pictures of other people's 80s through 90s broughams and they have it facing the bumper, or away from the driver.

Thanks!

D148L0
04-20-05, 05:19 PM
I'm looking for a really heavy thump instead of the white boy thump i have going on right now.
What level of heavy thump would you like: Yellow boy, red boy, black boy or green boy???

/Pffft.

Bishop
04-20-05, 07:31 PM
the one that shakes neighbors windows.

addison_ii
04-20-05, 07:39 PM
Well if you want that much, I would get 2 more subs, and face them towards the back.
Also I guess if you have them pointed towards the back they are able to move more air which I think gives you more bass response unless you have a free air system.
I think that's how it goes.

Fritzi
04-20-05, 07:48 PM
You could always reverse them and point them towards the backseat of the car. Do your seats fold down at all? Try 12's. I used to have 10's and I was never impressed. The deeper the better

Fritzi
04-20-05, 07:49 PM
Also, how big is your box? The box size also makes a big difference

Bishop
04-20-05, 08:54 PM
Currently they are pointed towards the backseat, and before i had holes in my rear deck, i got the dirtiest bass thump ever. it's a tad bit better but still not 'thumping'. For starters, i plan on getting a new amp for some more wattage considering mine is a little low grade and not that powerful. sadly, i'm tight on money and really want to fix my bent up fender/bumper (previous owner got in a wreck) and get a new paint job...someone give me a better job =).

i'm guessing i'll just get some good 12s next and put them back to back in the trunk with my 10s, and hopefully that'll shake the crap out of my car. and if THAT doesn't work, i'll leave the 12s back there and make a custom box that can fix on the backseat foot area with my 10s. but i'm guessing a new powerful high grade amp and a set of 12s with my tens will do the trick. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

btw, my current 10s box size is 29inches wide 15inches tall

Deville n J-ville
04-20-05, 10:02 PM
Just face the subs towards the taillights. I'm sure it will sound better that way, although you will have more rattles.

tomm
04-20-05, 10:21 PM
You have not mentioned how much power your feeding them. In my last car I had 2 Kicker 10" L7's wired to 1 ohm and powered them with a kicker 1200.1 amp which actually pumped out almost 1400 watts. It was alot of power and it shook quite a bit.

Fritzi
04-20-05, 10:32 PM
from experience, I once tried the 2 10's and 2 12's idea. I have to say. It wasn't as good as two straight really good 12's

Kev
04-20-05, 10:40 PM
Old school low riders back in the 70's used one or two 15" woofers. They would mount them facing the rear of the back seat. For some reason the girls liked sitting in the back best. :hmm:

With bass it doesn't matter which way you point the speakers. As long as you make sure they have unobstructed air movement, that's the key. Bass tones have large sound waves which make them nearly omni-directional.

juiceE
04-21-05, 11:07 AM
ive had different kinds of speakers in different kinds of boxes of all sizes and box types in a few different cars. i can say from experience that in a sealed box the sound in a car's trunk always sounded better facing the rear. with a ported box the ports facing the rear or the facing the front makes a change in the way the bass sounds. i even tried facing them up towards the top of the trunk. i say u should go to a vacant parking lot and sit there and try the different setups urs self and stick with which way sounds the best to u.

i usually had 15" or 12" woofers in pairs... the 15's where alot deeper, an the 12's where cleaner. its a trade off i guess. and in my opinion u should stick to a sealed box, ull get the most bass responce outa the speaker with enough watts... with a ported, ull only get the best results to what the box is tuned to. (i was thinkin of useinf a ported and a sealed box @ the same time?... would they conflict with each other?)

my boy had a 4 12's box and it sounded like crap in his car (95 intrepid?) with the trunk closed... i guess there wasnt enough "room" in the trunk for the speakers to work correctly, cuz when u opened the trunk, it blasted... and we tried it in a olds 88, maybe an 1989? an it was ridiculously loud. ive heard 10" woofers that where decently loud. it all depends on the setup.

ohh and dont mix 10" woofers with 12" in the trunk

D148L0
04-21-05, 12:49 PM
With bass it doesn't matter which way you point the speakers. As long as you make sure they have unobstructed air movement, that's the key. Bass tones have large sound waves which make them nearly omni-directional.
It does not matter when it comes to direction, but it does affect bass reproduction.
An enclosed sub inside a trunk is basically a box inside a box. Since subs work by moving air, the distances between the moving membranes and the walls of those boxes affect the way the air is moved. That is why the way the subs are oriented affect the final sound, and that is also part of why every car sounds different.

D148L0
04-21-05, 12:54 PM
ohh and dont mix 10" woofers with 12" in the trunk
While I mostly agree with the rest of your post, I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't mix sub sizes.
You definitely should not mix enclosures to avoid cancellation, but different sizes are not a problem as long as they are in equal enclosures.

DJ Kontakt
04-21-05, 02:35 PM
you want to face them towards your rear end, while having the box placed as far towards the front of the car as possible. This will help very much with phasing of the sound waves. Also, the wubs will have all the air in the trunk to compress, making more sound. The way it is facing in to the seats, your seat is absorbime much of the sound, acting as a deadener.

Why not just move the box around yourself and see what works best?

STS 310
04-21-05, 05:45 PM
So can anyone explain the phenomenom of "cabin gain".

D148L0
04-21-05, 06:34 PM
you want to face them towards your rear end, while having the box placed as far towards the front of the car as possible. This will help very much with phasing of the sound waves. Also, the wubs will have all the air in the trunk to compress, making more sound. The way it is facing in to the seats, your seat is absorbime much of the sound, acting as a deadener.

Why not just move the box around yourself and see what works best?
:yeah:
Exactly.

DJ Kontakt
04-21-05, 09:45 PM
So can anyone explain the phenomenom of "cabin gain".

cabin gain refers to the + of db the subs will reach in your car.

This is because the air in the cabin of your car will compress. It is like you are inside a subwoofer box, instead of outside. A cars cabin is a relatively small space, and the air will compress pretty easily. Like when you slam your door close, your ears may pop.

There is also some cabin gain in houses, but not very much, since there is more air, and a house isnt sealed. Do you ever notice the pressure change when you close your house door? Yes, but not nearly as much as in your car.

Kev
04-21-05, 09:54 PM
The really serious question is:
Once you've determined the best location and position of the subs, installed all 6 1000 watt amps, 4 woofers, 6 mid-range and 4 tweeters, how long before you need all of that power to compensate for the subsequent hearing loss just to hear your tunes?

Bishop
04-21-05, 10:47 PM
My problem has been SOLVED. I was wiping down my leather while some of my friends were looking at my subs asking why they sounded so poor. Then, out of no where, two respectable characters with cigarettes in hand yell "yo, they aint be no thump out of that, no respect." and i was like "yeah, i don't know whats wrong". One of them said he'd look at it and wahlah, my 10s sound like 10s. Apparently, the wiring was backward on the subs to amp and he switched it around and bridged it, making my brougham heard down a whole block. it is BEAUTIFUL. i thank everyone for all the suggestions. I'll probably end up getting a new amp soon and then some 12s. yum yum.

it's nice to thump - my cadillac really shines now.

Kev
04-21-05, 10:53 PM
WHAT?! WHAT DID YOU SAY?! Oh, glad you got it working, now go play your music but don't blow your ear drums out! :D

D148L0
04-22-05, 10:15 AM
...and wahlah?
You just made my day... :histeric:

I'm glad your problem was solved.

DJ Kontakt
04-22-05, 06:37 PM
lol those guys appear out of nowhere all over the country!

Kev
04-22-05, 06:41 PM
wah-lah - the sound made by a prima dona vocalist when she doesn't get her way. :crying2: :musical: