: Driving in Traffic, SOCAL others...

diver110
04-20-05, 05:16 PM
I posted another thread asking for feedback from long term users. I thought about buying the V a while back, actually was able to wrangle a test drive, LOVED IT, but decided not to buy it because I was not sure I could live with a stick given how much time I spend in traffic. SOCAL wrote something I am not sure I understand, but it sounded like you keep the car in third in traffic. The car has enough torque to work from that gear, and you don't have to change gears all the time. You just go in and out of third. That would make life easier. Can SOCAL and/or others give me feedback on this and driving in traffic generally? Thanks.

Kels55
04-20-05, 05:42 PM
Sometimes 3rd won't have enough to get you moving before you accidently let out too much clutch and stall. I almost always use 2nd as my starting gear. 1st should only be used when you want to race someone or be the first through an intersection.

As for shifting in heavy traffic, I found that skipping every other gear makes the ride much smoother and managable (i.e.: 1st-3rd-5th or 2nd-4th-6th).

Or, and I don't recommend, leave the CAGS installed and you will always have the 1st-4th shift, which is more of a noscense than help.

Barak
04-20-05, 06:35 PM
I too was worried about having to deal with a stick in SoCal traffic. To my relief I found that the V was very easy to drive in traffic. I typically leave the car in second and just use the brake. The dual mass flywheel will allow the engine to rev extremely low before the engine begins struggling.

lawfive
04-20-05, 06:51 PM
Barak,

I'm in So Cal, too. Got something to share with you. Send me an email at lawfive@pacbell.net

-- Jerry

benjet
04-20-05, 07:10 PM
You CAN use 3rd from say about 8 to 80. :)

trukk
04-21-05, 01:18 PM
I commute about 400 miles per week in DC traffic, which is pretty bad. A lot of stop and go, and low speed driving. I was nervous about driving a stick in this mess again, but have been pleasantly surprised that so far it hasn't bothered me yet.

The type of driving that kills me the most is the move forward 10-15 feet at a time and stop (around here, you can't just wait for more space as other cars will continually jump in from of you to jockey for that extra few feet of forward progress). The V has tremendous torque and a really low stall RPM. I drive an uphill ramp daily, that is probabaly 1/4 long. It is always very slow here. I keep it in first, with no gas applied it runs along at about 7 MPH. If i need to go slower, I can use the break (again with no gas), and get down to about 3-4 mph with the RPM at about 450. Yes read that again: "going up hill, in first no gas, break on, engine at 450 RPM's, and car does NOT stall."

This car continues to amaze.

-Chris

diver110
04-21-05, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the info Chris. I am up the road here in Baltimore and drive DC traffic regularly, so I know what you are talking about. It does not sound like the V would be as big of a traffic problem as I thought. Maybe there will be a V in my future after all.

Devil_concours
04-21-05, 11:01 PM
I drive in the dc traffic as well and i've always wondered what it would be like to drive a v in this traffic. I guess now i know

ctsvett
04-21-05, 11:57 PM
I drive everyday in traffic...

I agree 100% with Trukk.. You need to be patient and not drive fast 10 feet only to stop (in traffic.. drive fast the rest of the time).. I fyou jsut be patient and go in first at a reasonalbe speed (or second) you will not have alot of shifting to do. Some people will cut you off, but otherwise, traffic can be easy with the V due to the amount of torque.

Reed

Dave's V
04-22-05, 12:35 AM
What is traffic? I think that is what they call rush hour around here in Utah but I can still drive in 6th.

Ok, we do have our stop, move 10 feet, stop again times. The left leg gets a little work out after taking a break with automatics for the last 8 years.

Besides that the engine can pull at any rpm. Skip shift yourself, dump the CAGS.