: I found a monster in my car. I don't know what to believe anymore.

VincentT
10-04-13, 09:39 PM
I finally got the parts (most of them anyway) for my LS7 clutch swap. When I got the transmission and bell-housing off, I found this:

Needless to say, I was surprised. I was expecting an OE clutch. I believe it is an old stage 2. Regardless of the fact that it was an upgrade from stock, it was pretty much done.

The pucks on the pressure plate side of the clutch disk were worn all of the way down at the edges. The material on the flywheel side had about 1/64" or less of material before the rivets began rubbing. Good thing I was swapping.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the upgrades I've found on this car so far:
-CS motor mounts (which were shot but have since been replaced with Revshift blues)
-Revshift 95A diff bushing
-New driveshaft and axles
-Gen IV differential

And now, a stage 2 Monster with a C6 slave. I don't know what to expect any time I tear into the car anymore. I need to make sure I actually have an LS6 in this thing....

Mongopush
10-05-13, 07:44 AM
Sounds like the previous owner knew what he was doing, did his research. How many miles is on your V? Maybe the swapped the original for better driving and not due to wear.

rand49er
10-05-13, 08:02 AM
That clutch is indeed fried. That only means the rest of the drivetrain has likewise transmitted a ton of torque in its time.

Says something about how stout the car is.

Good pics.

VincentT
10-05-13, 08:54 AM
I bought the car in the fall of 2010 with 71k on it. I've since put an additional 71k on it, sitting at 142k now. I really do drive it every day. Anyway, the car had been pretty beaten up before I bought it. I had the transmission replaced under warranty right after I bought it because it wouldn't stay in first or second; it would pop out a ton. Turns out that the synchros and gear for 1st and 2nd were beaten all to crap. I'm assuming he/she did a lot of launching and only a little decent shifting. The differential has quite a bit of lash in it. I'm assuming that's from deformity in the case plus normal getrag lash.

Looking at what has been done to the car as a whole, I'm assuming he replaced the clutch for performance reasons rather than the old one being worn out.

VincentT
10-05-13, 10:58 PM
Well, I can say that the LS7 clutch is much more drivable than the Monster was. Pedal effort is much less than it was before. It grabs better, but that's not surprising considering the other clutch was metal-on-metal. Now for 500 miles of easy driving.

lollygagger8
10-07-13, 03:48 PM
I'm going to be installing a Monster Twin Disc hopefully soon......I'll be reporting as soon as the job is done!

VincentT
10-07-13, 08:22 PM
After driving a bit more today, it looks like all of my shifting problems I had have resolved. First and reverse go in without a problem. Engagement starts with the pedal a lot closer to the floor as well. That doesn't really make a lot of sense, but I'll take it.

Also, and I can't speak for their current stuff, the pedal on that Monster was HARD. I rarely held the clutch in for any period of time (at stoplights or in traffic) because it took so much effort. When I first got the LS7 in, I was skeptical that I had bled it sufficiently because it was so much softer and I had gotten so used to the Monster.

ctsvken
10-08-13, 11:25 AM
What slave cylinder did you use? The stock one or the LS-7? I am asking so I know which one to use when/if i use an LS7 clutch assembly.

Thanks,

Ken

VincentT
10-08-13, 02:40 PM
I used a C6 corvette slave. They base Vettes and the Z06 have the same slave. You can use the CTS-V slave, but you have to get a spacer, which Katech sells. I just decided I wanted an entirely new setup, even though mine didn't have the V slave to begin with. (Which I didn't know until I was in there.)

You have to look at it all as one unit. Essentially the issue is this: the flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and slave cylinder all together have to take up the space between the back of the block and the front of the transmission. The OE CTS-V flywheel, being dual-mass, is very thick. As such, something else among the other three had to be shorter by an equal measure to make it all fit in the depth of the bell housing. The CTS-V slave is that shorter thing. So, if you use an LS7 flywheel with CTS-V slave, the slave won't reach forward enough to depress the fingers on the pressure plate and the clutch won't disengage. The slave has to match the flywheel. This can be done either with a C6 slave or the CTS-V slave plus a spacer.

In math terms: C6 compressed slave height = CTS-V compressed slave height + spacer height