: 93 eldorado northstar stalls out plz help!

chris777232
04-19-05, 11:37 PM
Hello all! I have a 93 Eldorado with the northstar engine with 102000 miles. When i drive down the road going about 40 mph the car will die. It will restart when I put the car in N and the car is still rolling after a few attemps. It will do this on average 3 or 4 times within a mile of driving. It also dies sometimes when I am slowing down for a stop, when this happens, the car most of the time will not start back up after several attemps of trying to crank it over. The first time this happened i had it towed to my house, paid the tow, and just out of curiousity i tried to start it and it started right up! Lately when it dies and won't start back up, i leave it sit for about 6 or 7 hours, come back to it and it will start right up. The only code is engine stall detected. This has been goin on for about 2 months now and yesterday it stalled coming up to a stop and would not start. I went back to it today to start it and it would crank but not start. If any one has any suggestions or comments please email me at cweav@comcast.net Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated Thank you

eldorado1
04-19-05, 11:42 PM
Does it do anything wierd before it stalls? Chuggs? Backfires?

If it's like someone just turned the key off:

I'm pretty sure that if one crank sensor is dead, the other provides a redundant signal... and I've never heard of 2 sensors failing at the same time... My suspicion is on the ignition control module or it's power connection.

Quadrasteer
04-20-05, 10:30 AM
Have you changed your plugs ,ignition wires and gas filter? You never know what type, brand or quality plugs and wires were used previously. Also the plug gap and wire routing are very important. My '99 Deville stalled at low speeds and the new wires cured it, but it already had the crank sensors changed under warranty.

chris777232
04-20-05, 06:07 PM
When it dies, its like someone just turned the key off. It doesn't chug or backfire, it just looses all power. I changed the fuel filter thinking that the problem might be gas related. I know I need to change the wires and plugs because I think that they might be factory but I didn't know that old plugs and wires would cause it to stall and not to restart. Thank you very much for your replys!

CadiJeff
04-20-05, 06:13 PM
I would check your pos/neg battery conections as well as TPS.

eldorado1
04-20-05, 08:56 PM
When it dies, its like someone just turned the key off. It doesn't chug or backfire, it just looses all power. I changed the fuel filter thinking that the problem might be gas related. I know I need to change the wires and plugs because I think that they might be factory but I didn't know that old plugs and wires would cause it to stall and not to restart. Thank you very much for your replys!

Does your service engine light come on at that point? Does your speedo/gauges/radio still work? Is there anything that you're doing at the time that you think might be related? (driving over a bump, taking a turn, only on the freeway... etc)

chris777232
04-20-05, 11:30 PM
The service engine light doesn't come on, and all gauges, radio and speedometer all work when it dies. I don't really drive but to work or the bar and it is just in town driving. It dies when I am coasting at like 40-45mph or coming up on a stop, almost like it runs out of gas. The one weird thing I did notice is that when it dies when I am going like 40-45 mph the rpms are at 500 while the car is dead and still rolling in N until I start it again Thank you all for taking your time in trying to help me! It is greatly appreciated!

CadiJeff
04-21-05, 12:49 PM
failing or out of adjustment ISC might do that

eldorado1
04-21-05, 12:58 PM
But why wouldn't the SES light come on? In every car I have ever owned, if you stalled the engine, you'd get the SES light. I think in your car, it's an LED so it's not like it can burn out.....

Ranger
04-21-05, 08:50 PM
http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5803
Note the post by Logan. Maybe this is your problem.

CadiJeff
04-22-05, 12:43 AM
I am in college for EE trust me LEDs do burn out

eldorado1
04-22-05, 01:34 PM
I am in college for EE trust me LEDs do burn out

Cool, I'm an EE too. But do you really think the service engine light would be on for the required 10,000 hours? (some live as long as 100,000 hours before failure). In a properly designed system, LEDs do not burn out.

I have NEVER witnessed an LED burn out due to old age. Always due to over voltage, which is not an issue here.

Without knowing how the ECM works, I would have to guess that somehow your ECM is losing power.... Maybe a bad ignition switch? I don't know. This one's a puzzler. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/drinker.gif

CadiJeff
04-22-05, 10:29 PM
I have seen them burn out due to shorting but I doubt this is the problem. Not Everything that sets a code turns on the light or it may have been disable in the past, I would check the codes,but from the description I would say that when the throttle is let off the ISC is letting the throttle close completely or I suppose that the throttle blade could have enough build-up to choke the engine out.

Those are my guesses

chris777232
04-25-05, 06:34 AM
The service engine light works, it comes on when i check the codes. Thanks everyone for your replies!

chris777232
04-25-05, 08:23 PM
I took my car to a local shop and they said they pulled the computer out a put it back in and there was a bunch of codes! They said I need a new computer. To me this doesn't really sound right? They want 475$ to replace the bad computer which I understand there are two computers for the engine. Is a computer hard to replace if I were to do it myself because im not mechanically inclided? Ive changed themostats and basic parts before. Im goin nuts!!! Thanks all!

eldorado1
04-25-05, 08:32 PM
I took my car to a local shop and they said they pulled the computer out a put it back in and there was a bunch of codes! They said I need a new computer. To me this doesn't really sound right? They want 475$ to replace the bad computer which I understand there are two computers for the engine. Is a computer hard to replace if I were to do it myself because im not mechanically inclided? Ive changed themostats and basic parts before. Im goin nuts!!! Thanks all!

While I can't comment if the computer is the actual problem in this case, it is under suspicion, since the SES light doesn't come on when it stalls....... But then, maybe in the 93, it doesnt??? There is just one computer that controls the engine and transmission. IIRC, it has a red, white, and blue connector.

You can get a used computer for about $50 depending on the market, maybe upto $100. On my 94, it was behind the dash, and I think it's the same for you. If I remember right, it was rather difficult to get to. It may require you to disassemble the dash, or remove a significant portion of it.

I don't know - ask them how much labor is... If they're charging $300 for the computer, just give em a used one, and pay for the labor.

While you're at it, ask them if they can give a money back guarantee that this will solve the problem. Get it in writing... A decent shop doesn't have to throw parts at a car to see what's wrong (a trained monkey can do that) - they DIAGNOSE the problem.

zonie77
04-26-05, 08:23 PM
Clear the codes, either from the dash or disconnect the battery for a few seconds.Then recheck and see what you get over a few days.I don't buy what they are telling you.

Try replacing the crank sensors. It may be shotgunning it but that is something that can cause it to die mysteriously.They are not real expensive.

chris777232
05-10-05, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your help and suggestions! I picked the car up from to shop yesterday and it seems to be runnin ok now. They put a new computer in and a new fuel pump and this has seemed to correct the problem. It still seems to run a little rough though but i know I need to do the 100,000 mile tune up, but I will have to wait till I get some more money! Thanks again!

BeelzeBob
05-10-05, 10:20 PM
Was it stalling when just driving along under power or just when you took your foot off the throttle...???