: Bought a 97 Catera.... After one month....

bblazer95
04-19-05, 10:04 PM
I bought a 97 Catera a month ago. Already got an engine light... After reading all these posts, it seems like I am in for a wonderful ride... I guess the first thing to do is get the code checked... I think there is a misfire or two.... Also, oil leaks from the car... The damn mechanic said it was some sensor, but the thing still leaks after he "fixed" it.. Anyway, I am new, and I know I will ahve plenty of questions...

Vesicant
04-19-05, 10:15 PM
I bought a 97 Catera a month ago. Already got an engine light... After reading all these posts, it seems like I am in for a wonderful ride... I guess the first thing to do is get the code checked... I think there is a misfire or two.... Also, oil leaks from the car... The damn mechanic said it was some sensor, but the thing still leaks after he "fixed" it.. Anyway, I am new, and I know I will ahve plenty of questions...

:welcome:

Heres what I think:

Buying a used car... most times anyone who buys a used car will get one that has problems which is why the person who had it before sold it or knew it was going to have problems. Catera's do love their check engine light, when we bought our 2000 Catera used it did that a week after the purchase. MAP Sensor. A month after that it started stalling randomly- cam position sensor. Later the EBTCM gave out (very odd for any car) but replaced under the remains of the warranty. 1 Valve cover was replaced for leakage. Except for the EBTCM, its not unusual for any used car to have these problems.

I do hope that you'll be able to enjoy your Catera for what its worth! They can be quite satisfying -past any problems it may have.

govtrh
04-19-05, 10:48 PM
I bought a 97 Catera 2 months ago with 49,500 miles. I have experienced some of the problems already that have been pointed out on this site but must say I still love my car. I look forward to driving it every day and sometimes on weekends I hunt for reasons to take it out.