: Moving the MAF on a LT1?

N0DIH
04-19-05, 07:12 PM
Has anyone moved the MAF on the LT1 anywhere else?

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153618

This is sort of interesting reading.

N0DIH
04-20-05, 03:19 PM
Think we can use the MAF inlet from this car on the LT1 FWB?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=pic.php&imagenum=9&carnum=2193

It can support 500 hp, so it should be able to support an LT1, eh?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2193

Katshot
04-20-05, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately, many people rely more on shade-tree mechanics than true technical theory of operation when making performance mods to their cars. Because of this, it is quite possible to make a mod to your car that would "seemingly" unleash trapped horsepower/torque but actually does little or even results in a loss of power under certain operating conditions, if not all.
This intake tract mod is a perfect example. As was fairly well pointed out in the thread above, there's a lot more involved than one might think and certain changes made "could" have adverse effects on the driveability AND peak performance of your car. This is why I would stick to what has been tested and documented rather than what "some guy said" on a website somewhere. SOTP testing doesn't count either.

N0DIH
04-20-05, 05:26 PM
I have been wanting to do some moving of the MAF to get it closer to the TB and to straighten out airflow.

Mainly I think most theories on the air box are flawed. Most people think about the air as it is being PUSHED through the pipe. It is in reality "sucked". But I know you phyics guys will argue with me on it. How does it affect airflow? I suspect that the FAIK kits rarely gain much power. I have removed my first base, I think it has improved some, but at the obvious expense of noise. I am pondering putting it back in. No fuel economy improvements.

When I get to the track this year I will test both, with and without. My problem is that I am not an experienced drag racer, so I am concerned about my consistency.

Maybe use traction control to be consistent?

Katshot
04-20-05, 06:09 PM
I have been wanting to do some moving of the MAF to get it closer to the TB and to straighten out airflow.

Mainly I think most theories on the air box are flawed. Most people think about the air as it is being PUSHED through the pipe. It is in reality "sucked". But I know you phyics guys will argue with me on it. How does it affect airflow? I suspect that the FAIK kits rarely gain much power. I have removed my first base, I think it has improved some, but at the obvious expense of noise. I am pondering putting it back in. No fuel economy improvements.

When I get to the track this year I will test both, with and without. My problem is that I am not an experienced drag racer, so I am concerned about my consistency.

Maybe use traction control to be consistent?

My K&N kit DID give me a little boost. From what I've seen on dyno charts, the K&N kit is good for maybe 10-15hp at most. You're right about the physics guys giving you a hard time. I'm resisting the urge to correct you too. ;)