: Engine died & no codes?

bravo366
04-19-05, 04:02 PM
Have a 96 STS with 112,000 miles that died while driving the other day. Just like the ignition was switched off. Still had power seats and lights, just nothing else when you turned the key. Next day, after 2-3 tries, it fired up suddenly and has ran since. The car has been idling rough (like surging or hesitating) and the dealer ran diagnostics but it did not give any codes. I'm afraid to drive very far now w/o knowing the problem, Any ideas?

Thanks

chris777232
04-21-05, 12:07 AM
When it died when you where driving, were u able to start it up again? I have a 93 eldorado with the northstar engine and it sounds like we both have the same problem! When my car dies lights, gauges, radio and everything that is power still works. It will make cranking sounds when im rolling in N and restart after a few trys.

STS 310
04-21-05, 12:21 AM
It may not be helpful, but, welcome to a "missile silo" worth of wiring.

Sorry but had to add that.

Wait around someone will have more to offer..

danbuc
04-21-05, 12:53 AM
Hmmm...this could be a number of different things. The first one that comes to mind, could be a failing fuel pump, providing uneven pressure, resulting in a fuel starvation inssue (could cause the stall), and the possible hesitation and surge (the engine getting fuel the not getting fuel....ect). If you can get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge, there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail, that you can hook the gauge up to and check the pressure. I have no idea what the pressure should be (couldn't find it in my service manual at all), but if it's less than it shoudl be, that could cause stalling and hesitation. Is it running rough at all speeds, or just at idle or cruising? If it runs rough only at idle, it could also be a vacuum leak. This would cause the problem to go away when the engine is under a load (driving down the road), since manifold vacumm drops. This is about all I can think of. Bbob might have some more ideas as well. If you can, I would start with the fuel pressure, and post what you find. Good Luck.

Ranger
04-21-05, 11:38 AM
I think the fuel pressure should be 45-50 psi.