: 00 Catera Coolant Light & Car Shuts Off

jewelz
04-19-05, 12:23 PM
00 Catera recently the coolant light has been going on and off. I got an oil change this weekend, top of fluid levels, etc... but it made no differnce. Also, a seperate issue the car is idling very rough only when there is low to very low fuel, the car sometimes shuts off when stopped or slowing down, and the Fuel Cap light goes on, but restarts with no problem. Any thoughts?

omermurat
04-19-05, 01:27 PM
Is the coolant lever actually low? If not you have a bad or disconnected coolant level sensor. If it's actually low then the next question is; can you see the leak?

Your idling regulator, which is located left upper side of the intake manifold, could be dirty or stuck or bad. First you might want to clean it with wd-40.

There should be some ventiation problem in your gas tank, if your car's stalling problem is related to your gas level. You could start from changing the gas cap but I am not sure if Cateras have a non ventilated type caps. I'll check with the books.

jewelz
04-19-05, 02:24 PM
Thank you for replying. Well I am not sure what the level was when I brought it in for the oil change etc...but it was topped off and the light was on when I left the service station. I have not noticed any leaks in my driveway. But, I haven't actually stuck my head under the car, either.

On the second note, I have no idea what an intake manifold is :confused:, sorry not too much experience with cars and female:angel:. Out of curiousity how can the gas cap cause a problem like this? For clarification, you mean the external gas cap?

I truly appreciate your help. I am looking for some knowledge of what the problem may be before I bring it in. I have had issues in the past where they thought it was one thing and seven trips later they finally figure it out.

Vesicant
04-19-05, 04:07 PM
Thank you for replying. Well I am not sure what the level was when I brought it in for the oil change etc...but it was topped off and the light was on when I left the service station. I have not noticed any leaks in my driveway. But, I haven't actually stuck my head under the car, either.

On the second note, I have no idea what an intake manifold is :confused:, sorry not too much experience with cars and female:angel:. Out of curiousity how can the gas cap cause a problem like this? For clarification, you mean the external gas cap?

I truly appreciate your help. I am looking for some knowledge of what the problem may be before I bring it in. I have had issues in the past where they thought it was one thing and seven trips later they finally figure it out.

The (beginning of the) Intake manifold starts ontop of the engine; its the white piece with the Cadillac logo on it. Cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve is impossible on the 00' Catera because it doesnt have one ;) Thats ok though; omermurat you have the 97 specific service manual , no? . Reguardless, it might be something with the fuel pump starving or other(dirty fuel filter etc). How low on the gauge is it when it starts to stall? Might just be you're running it till theres no more fuel left... might a phenomenon called Vapor lock where gas vapors are cutting off the flow of fuel- this would concur with omermurat's suggestion of the something to do with the cap still.

The low coolant; are you noticing any steam comming from the engine compartment? Is the car overheating? Next- does it drip coolant on the floor of wherever you keep the car? I wouldnt drive it if the coolant light is on- this can be dangerious to the engine's health, causing an overheat if theres actually a loss of coolant. A number of things: The engine's oil cooler could be leaking and coolant is being ingested, the coolant level sensor is bad/malfunctioning, or its losing coolant somewhere; possibly out of a common part called the Heater coolant valve which happens. This breaks on many Cateras' and leaks coolant.

Get the coolant issue checked out ASAP; if its actually losing coolant OR theres coolant being ingested through the oil cooler (which means water in the oil, and you know that oil and water dont mix meaning its not getting lubricated properly) this is VERY Bad for the engine.

omermurat
04-19-05, 04:45 PM
Alright Jeff, you got me. I've got 97 books :0)

jewelz
04-19-05, 05:04 PM
Thanks again for replying :) ! I asked to have the Fuel Filter changed when I had the oil changed but they did not have the appropriate filter in stock. There is no noticable steam or apparent overheating. I have been watching the gauges deligently for any noticable changes. The car begins to idle rough when there is less than 1/2 tank of gas. It does not idle fast but low and feels like it might stall and jumps back up to .5 and then down again etc... I will check the coolant again today, I am not 100% sure where to look but I will check out the manual and find it. I just had it filled on Saturday the light was on when I left the station after they filled it. I would hope they would tell me that something was leaking. I have not noticed any leaking or spots in my driveway or my garage spot at work but I will take a good look again. Oh, one other thing when I had the oil change the attendant said there was buildup in my engine and it needed to be flushed - which I had done - is that a sign of anything?

Vesicant
04-19-05, 05:29 PM
Alright Jeff, you got me. I've got 97 books :0)
Lol thats cool- you can still help a great deal with those manuals; keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Thanks again for replying :) ! I asked to have the Fuel Filter changed when I had the oil changed but they did not have the appropriate filter in stock. There is no noticable steam or apparent overheating. I have been watching the gauges deligently for any noticable changes. The car begins to idle rough when there is less than 1/2 tank of gas. It does not idle fast but low and feels like it might stall and jumps back up to .5 and then down again etc... I will check the coolant again today, I am not 100% sure where to look but I will check out the manual and find it. I just had it filled on Saturday the light was on when I left the station after they filled it. I would hope they would tell me that something was leaking. I have not noticed any leaking or spots in my driveway or my garage spot at work but I will take a good look again. Oh, one other thing when I had the oil change the attendant said there was buildup in my engine and it needed to be flushed - which I had done - is that a sign of anything?

Did they say something about oil sludge? or coolant or ? :nono:

jewelz
04-21-05, 02:08 PM
They said oil sludge. I found and checked the coolant which was low and filled it. I called and asked the station if the actually filled the coolant. They had no record of it and it wasn't on my receipt when I reviewed it. So they probably never did it in the first place. The light is now off and has not come back on. The car is still idling rough but hasn't died on me in a couple of days. I was reading through some of the threads and one mentioned using a fuel injector cleaner, should I try this to see if it helps? Also, is this something I can buy otc or should I have it done professionally? I am having a difficult time finding the fuel filter and front left headlight? Any suggestions where I can find these? Is the fuel filter easy to change or is this something that needs to be done professionally also. Thanks for your help.

BLUCAT98
04-21-05, 03:51 PM
I read that Dex-Cool coolant, if not kept at appropriate levels, will trun acidic there by deteriorating internal seals and that can extend to water pump problems and many other overheating issues. Supossedly G-05 coolant is a combination of silicated and low PH coolant that will not be too harsh on the engine if the coolant level goes low on the reservoir tank.

Can we use Zerex G-05 coolant?

Vesicant
04-21-05, 04:10 PM
They said oil sludge. I found and checked the coolant which was low and filled it. I called and asked the station if the actually filled the coolant. They had no record of it and it wasn't on my receipt when I reviewed it. So they probably never did it in the first place. The light is now off and has not come back on. The car is still idling rough but hasn't died on me in a couple of days. I was reading through some of the threads and one mentioned using a fuel injector cleaner, should I try this to see if it helps? Also, is this something I can buy otc or should I have it done professionally? I am having a difficult time finding the fuel filter and front left headlight? Any suggestions where I can find these? Is the fuel filter easy to change or is this something that needs to be done professionally also. Thanks for your help.

Ok Oil sludge- that will kill your engine if its not taken care of. It can block oil passages internally and/or the oil pump pickup. Thereby cutting the flow of oil or cutting it off completely starving the engine of oil and it siezes. Did they attempt to clean it out?

Fuel injector cleaner can be bought over the counter at usualy gas stations and places like Wal-Mart etc. Get something like STP Fuel System Cleaner (for fuel injected vehicles) and add that to a full tank of gas or however much it says on the package. The fuel filter is in the rear of the vehicle on the frame near the right rear wheel. Id have it changed by a mechanic.

Vesicant
04-21-05, 04:18 PM
I read that Dex-Cool coolant, if not kept at appropriate levels, will trun acidic there by deteriorating internal seals and that can extend to water pump problems and many other overheating issues. Supossedly G-05 coolant is a combination of silicated and low PH coolant that will not be too harsh on the engine if the coolant level goes low on the reservoir tank.

Can we use Zerex G-05 coolant?

I saw what G-05 was and it looks to have been approved by only Ford and Chrysler so far. Zerex says it can be used though but its not been approved by GM.

If the coolant reservoir goes low that doesnt effect the ph level in the coolant; its still the same because its already been mixed with water. Only thing you'll have to worry about is the engine having enough coolant for it to be properly cooled.

Dexcool is infact acidic but only if theres no water in it. Make sure its properly mixed 50/50 or 60/40. Keep it GM-Keep it DexCool (or GM/Dexcool approved) and you'll be cherry'. :coolgleam

BLUCAT98
04-21-05, 09:17 PM
I haven't had the time to read the entire article, but here is an article pointing to the negatives of Dexcool. I'll have to read it thoroughly, but I believe the idea is that low Dexcool levels in the reservoir lead to air pockets in the engine block. The engine block passages dry and the acidity of dexcool makes them rusty. When the engine is turned on again the rust is washed out, but the cylce repeats itself when you shut off the car and let it sit. This is particularly so with cast iron engines. This continually creates rust and clogs up passages. Does the Catera have an aluminum engine? There's an issue with the type of Cap used, "spring loaded valve or not".

Here is the link. It talks about the water pump at the very bottom of the article.

http://www.performanceradiator.com/Publications/Information/Motor%20mag%20cooling%20sys.pdf.pdf

Here are others:

http://www.geocities.com/b_gillie/DexCoolFlyer.pdf

http://www.cwcd.com/CM/MassTorts/MassTorts5.asp

http://www.gm-v6lemons.com/pix.html

Dont want to scare anybody.. I just want the best for my car... I'm inclined to use the Zerex G-05 coolant since my car has already been silicated. Never the less, it is still recomended to chemically flush your existing system before changing to it.

What I'm affraid of is, what if the previous use of dexcool on my car may have deteriorated some internal gaskets and so on, will chemically flushing the system dislodge bits and pieces all over the place making things worse?

Am I drowning in a cup of water here?

BLUCAT98
04-21-05, 09:54 PM
Here's a link that talks about Zerex - ( HOAT - Hibrid Organic Acid Technology )

http://www.valvoline.com/downloads/DTurcotte_Mag_53_g.pdf

The idea is to have the best of both worlds. Low Silicated solution and low acidity to protect the engine block and aluminum parts with out too much "sand" or rust build up.

Vesicant
04-21-05, 10:07 PM
Ok things you have to realize:

1. These "stories" are from different engines. The lawyer claim is probably precautionary to get anyone whos had any problems to join the claim.
2. The Catera engine has aluminium heads and an iron block
3. As far as I know, the 3.0 V6 in the Catera hasnt had any problems with DexCool.
4.The Catera doesnt have a radiator fill cap. (Resvervoir and radiator are two different things)

The Catera is an Opel Omega, Its an entirely different design from the main stream American products produced here. This car is entirely European. The Venture, Blazer , Lumina, Corisca, Equinox etc. (Main users of 3.1, 3.4, 3.8, 4.3 V6es stated to have problems) have nothing in common engine or design wise.

Go ahead and use G-05 if it makes you feel better, it should be pefectly fine to use it in this engine. :) These articles, specifically the one from the magazine are stressing proper cooling system maintenance to prevent this from ever happening, should it.

AllenPacla
04-21-05, 10:40 PM
I am having a difficult time finding the fuel filter and front left headlight

Why would you need a left headlight?

BLUCAT98
04-21-05, 10:58 PM
Thanks Jeff,

Feel better already!! :banana: .. I'll try the G-05. I'll flush the system first. Hope I dont rip the engine drawers doing it!!

How safe are the machined coolant flushes?

jewelz
04-22-05, 12:14 PM
Wow, I had no idea my issues would turn into this...lol.

Okay, the coolant level is fine. No light, no leaks and the level seems to be staying the same. I did not use Dexcool - I used something Prestone?? 50/50. I asked the guy at the autopart store what would be best for my car. He said that was fine. I did not get the 50/50 first luckily the nice guy behind me pointed it out. I would of read the directions of course but it seems easier to buy it already mixed. The coolant that was in the car was a deep pinkish color. This was clear.

I need a left headlight because mine is out and everywhere I go it is not is stock including AutoZone. As well as the fuel filter.

I had the engine flushed when I had an oil change. Should I have it flushed again on my next oil change to be on the safe side? I will try the STP Fuel injector cleaner. Should I wait until before or after I have the filter changed? I noticed that you can have your fuel injector cleaned professionally, is this good to do?

The car is still idling rough in spurts sometimes it's fine and then sometimes it's not. Hasn't died on me in about a week. I am going to have a friend of a friend take a look at it this weekend, I am so afraid of being ripped off.
I really appreciate all of your help. Being female isn't always fun when dealing with car problems. Thsi site has been a great help.