: Major Tune-up?????

1rubyd
04-19-05, 11:56 AM
After paying a lot of money for new wires and spark plugs, my car is still misfiring. My mechanic told me that "it may be" a piece on the back of the motor that relates to the tune up. Does anyone know anything about that?

What else could make it misfire???? Any suggestions??

omermurat
04-19-05, 12:13 PM
Please provide us with more info & clues.
Is the check engine light on? If so what are the codes? Does it misfire all the time? Does misfiring go away when you power cycle the car? etc.

1rubyd
04-19-05, 12:24 PM
Opps, sorry for not being clear. Yes, the codes did indicate that it was still misfiring. Also, the "check engine" light blings and then it just stays on. Sometimes when I spead up, it blinks again. Late it stays on. I don't get it. I was wondering if it could be something else. What do you think? Oh, also, the codes said that I need an o2 sensor.

omermurat
04-19-05, 12:30 PM
Do you remember the codes themselves? That would help us predict better.

1rubyd
04-19-05, 12:44 PM
No, I'm sorry. I will try to get the codes from my mechanic. However, they indicated multiple misfiring and 2 oxygen sensors gone.

omermurat
04-19-05, 01:58 PM
A vacuum leak in the system could cause this. Both O2 sensors being bad and having multiple misfiring (on both banks I assume P0300) lead me to think that first. Listen your engine for hissing sound & check all the connections, hoses, disconnected little pipes etc. If you are not familiar with that type of work just ask your mechanic to perform this.

Your injectors might be clogged or fuel pressure might be too low.

You might have contaminated gas.

Your ignition coil being bad could also cause that, but before throw some money on something might not even be bad, check the above stuff first.

1rubyd
04-19-05, 02:07 PM
Thank you. We were hearing a hissing sound and didn't know what it was. I will check that out. Also, I will check my fuel injectors. You were on the money the last time, so I won't take your advice lightly. Thanks.

My mechanic first told me that he thought it may be the ignition coil, but he wasn't sure. I don't want to pay again for him not being sure. I was so frustrated, I was going to take it back to the dealer. I think I will anyway and tell them to check out what you told me. Wow, why can't you be here in Michigan. Ha-ha. Thanks again!

omermurat
04-19-05, 02:13 PM
My pleasure :)

Good luck..

mrman88
04-21-05, 11:33 PM
I had the exact same problem up until the point where it got really bad. I took it in to a local repair shop and they said it need plug wire and an ignition coil. They replaced both and now it runs like it was meant to.