: Tires, Tires, Tires

dmn8
04-18-05, 12:26 PM
I know this has been discussed, but I need new tires, 9000 miles. What is everyone's option on replacing the F1's, using the GS-D3 (what about no spare??), or the RS-A.

Your info will help me make my decision. Thanks.

benjet
04-18-05, 12:54 PM
Do a seach, since you agree it's been discussed, why not check out the previous discussion on this topic?

If you put RS/A's on, your car will stop running immediately.

CTV-Old-E
04-18-05, 12:56 PM
I am in same situation as you are. My main question for new tires is how to help on the wonderful "Wheel Hop" we currently get with the run flats.

Have heard Toyo and GS-D3's but nothing as to which one helps the most on wheel hop.:hmm:

thebigjimsho
04-18-05, 03:14 PM
Do a seach, since you agree it's been discussed, why not check out the previous discussion on this topic?

If you put RS/A's on, your car will stop running immediately.Not only does it stop running, but John Heinrecy comes with a tow truck and impounds it because noone should be foolish enough to don a supersedan with super crap.:tisk:

urbanski
04-18-05, 03:43 PM
lol
needs more Pep Boys Futuras :D :p

Koooop
04-18-05, 04:44 PM
lol
needs more Pep Boys Futuras :D :p

FUTURAS!

I never smoke the cheap stuff!

LOL

c5racr1
04-18-05, 06:31 PM
I have the toyo's but the BMR also and I have very little hop. but this does not answer your question.

lasstss
04-18-05, 06:36 PM
Im waiting for my wheels, Im going with the Conti 2's.
Its a good tire.

RobzBLKV
04-18-05, 07:28 PM
I will probably go with pilot sports when the time comes (looks like 6k at best :( ). But Benjet is right - there are tons of threads about this and tons of information that you won't get with a new thread. Try a search.

Dave's V
04-18-05, 09:52 PM
GM uses the RSA as OEM tires on a lot of their cars. You don't see many though on cars with a decent amount of mileage.

As far as all seasons goes, I like the Avons and the Michelins. Michelins are about $100 more per tire.

Why consider all seasons? It is April 18th and snow is falling in the Utah valleys. Snow in October isn't uncommon. Since it is my daily driver, I still need to get around.

g50
04-19-05, 10:50 AM
I am putting the GS-D3's on today. Had pilot sport 2s on my M3, will let you know what I think

CTV-Old-E
04-19-05, 03:24 PM
Great! Really wanted to know difference between Pilot sports and GSd 3s

Let me know what they do to help the wheel hop vs the run flats that came on it.

Thanks

Deltasendero
04-19-05, 04:08 PM
I have 3,000 miles on the Toyo's and am satisfied for the money. They are outstanding in the rain and decent on the dry stuff. Nothing will compare to the traction of the F1's IMHO but I will NEVER go back to a run-flat tire. The ride with the non-EMT's is much improved. I noticed this also with my Dunlop Wintersport M3's also. Just bought a tire plugger kit and small 12v pump. LOL and enjoy the new skins.:thumbsup:

CTV-Old-E
04-20-05, 12:30 AM
did they help much with wheel hop?

MikeF
04-20-05, 12:48 AM
I like my OEMs. They have a little "Supercar" brand on them that's cool.

Dave's V
04-20-05, 12:55 AM
I like my OEMs. They have a little "Supercar" brand on them that's cool.

Wait till you pay a "superprice" for them around 8-14k miles on them.

Dreamin
04-20-05, 03:08 AM
You're paying for their "superstick"... they are kick-a$$ tires performance-wise

wildwhl
04-20-05, 03:14 AM
Dreamin knows his sticky tires, and no doubt, the OEM's are waaaaaayyyyy sticky.

That being said, set 2 is GSD3's, as will set 3 be.

thebigjimsho
04-20-05, 12:31 PM
Wait till you pay a "superprice" for them around 8-14k miles on them.$280 per tire shipped isn't too bad a price for a max-performance tire. Plus I've got 19,000 miles on my original F1s.

And yes, I've burned out and have raced on them.

Although I received delivery of 8 Hoosier non-DOT approved racing slicks from last year's Grand-Am series. I'll let you know how those turn out on the track.

RobzBLKV
04-20-05, 03:45 PM
You're paying for their "superstick"... they are kick-a$$ tires performance-wise

Wow. Someone said something positive about the oem tires. I would have thought you were paying for "decentstick" coupled with runflatness.

So, any opinions on OEM or Pilot Sport or (original in a non-rain climate) or GSD3 for better performance?

Dreamin
04-20-05, 03:52 PM
Pilot Sport 2 is THE tire to get for pure stick (not available in 245/45/18)
Pilot Sport 1 is not as sticky and has a very harsh ride.
Potenza S03 is a very sticky tire too - less than PS2, stickier than GSD3

I cant compare OEM vs. GSD3 as far as pure performance. Wildwhl???

I can say the OEM tires are very sticky - it's basically a RF version of the current Z06 tire (supercar logo). And it is GREAT for this:

http://zeemr.home.comcast.net/THs03.jpg

Dave's V
04-20-05, 03:54 PM
$280 per tire shipped isn't too bad a price for a max-performance tire. Plus I've got 19,000 miles on my original F1s.

And yes, I've burned out and have raced on them.

Although I received delivery of 8 Hoosier non-DOT approved racing slicks from last year's Grand-Am series. I'll let you know how those turn out on the track.

Jim,
Where can you get the F1s for $280 shipped. Tire rack shows them at $338 now.

They are great performance-wise. 19,000 miles is rare from what I have seen on this board. A good set of GSD3s will provide 95% of the performance (better wet performance), quieter and last longer. I would keep the runflats if I consistently drove at high speeds though.

I'll probably go to ultra high performance all-seasons. It snowed close by last night. It is April 20th, right? I heard great things about the AVON and at $150 a piece you can't beat the price. I also heard great things about the Pilot A/S but at 60 % more than the Avons.

Dreamin
04-20-05, 03:57 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32894

And S03's have a $100 rebate right now.

thebigjimsho
04-20-05, 04:09 PM
I believe it was GM parts direct.