: How did this happen?

JAZZ392
04-18-05, 08:23 AM
On my 98 Deville, I had the water pump replaced at the dealer w/gmpp in march 05. I also had the blower moter replace in early april 05. After replacing the pump I noticed that the coolant temp was running cold and very little if any heat while driving. So on saturday I decided to replace the thermostat which was not replaced. After removing it I found a bolt stuck in the thermostat which was keeping it open.. Any ideas on how/when this could have happened ?.

N0DIH
04-18-05, 05:15 PM
Maybe the N* engine forum may have more response?

Ranger
04-19-05, 11:29 AM
Sloppy workmanship at the dealer. The question now is, where did that bolt come from? This is just a hunch and I don't know if it is possible but perhaps it somehow was dropped in the pump housing and the pump flushed it to the choke point (thermostat).

powerglide
04-19-05, 07:38 PM
holy cow, thats disturbing.....
I have 98 deville too, 93000 miles on it. (how many miles on yours?)
How'd you know they water pump and blower motor needed replacing, id the sieze up?
(just wondering if I need to do these repairs soon)

Stoneage_Caddy
04-19-05, 08:16 PM
moving to northstar , perhaps your not alone ..

JAZZ392
04-20-05, 08:23 AM
holy cow, thats disturbing.....
I have 98 deville too, 93000 miles on it. (how many miles on yours?)
How'd you know they water pump and blower motor needed replacing, id the sieze up?
(just wondering if I need to do these repairs soon)

Mine has 62000 miles. With the water pump the car was overheating. The blower motor just was not blowing at all.

The service dept did not replace the thermostat under GMPP ,because it was not defective. They did flush the coolant system. After watching the cooltant temp and with the lack of heat I searched the board here and found that the thermostat could be the problem (which it was)