: V Owners, Diff failures, its time to dig deeper.(please read)

BliTzer
04-18-05, 03:56 AM
Really guys,

There has to be a connect a dot more deeper into this..
What i mean is, why is some V's diffs break, others do not?

Luck? Come on.. I refuse to believe it is luck that some V's have not had diff problems as of yet, this includes the V's that are modded or the ones that are still stock, meaning not even a tire change..

This what i think would be really a good thing to check out..

get the batch numbers from all the diffs that failed, compare them to the ones that have not.

xxxxx-xxxxx batch numbers, compare them to 2004 and 2005 CTS-V Vin numbers..

Could it be a manufacturer change of housing (case) or gears somewhere along the way during production? And GM used them all on certain V's with vin #'s? not on purpose of course but more like that is just the way it ended up..

I have seen something like this happen before a few times, with items that have been problems, or had problems, but only within certain batch numbers, made at certain time, certain places..

Just a thought here.. but if all the V diffs are bad, then back to square one, why havent some failed? esp the ones that are right at 500rwhp or close to it, like myself..? see what i mean?

I have 20's all the way around, 245/35zr 95w
magnacharger installed, chip flashed & tuned for hi-perf.
B&B x-pipe full exhaust installed, no headers, using stock headers.
Have shifted 1-2-3 so damn hard, grand-ma's dentures still in back seat.
Nitto tires, really sticky and they dont break loose, can not tell you last time i burned rubber. I think the only time i did is when tires were still stock.
Miles on car: 6012

later.. blitzer

StealthV
04-18-05, 07:25 AM
Hypothesis - inclusions in the aluminum castings.

Joey'sVee
04-18-05, 08:55 AM
I think it depends on how you drive your V, jmho

SBONES
04-18-05, 09:11 AM
other than the normal vib and the little bit of clunk i hear. I still love the car. I must say im not having near the problems that some are having. I drive my v like i stole it and shes solid. For now...I dont have all the goodies that you guys have. Maybe the rear end is at its limit, power wise. And with all the aftermarket stuff out there, maybe we should be looking at a better rear. were putting all this shit on the cars and thier braking. :hmm:

urbanski
04-18-05, 09:17 AM
I think it depends on how you drive your V, jmho
it seems to me alot of the failed/whining diffs we hear about come from owners who baby their cars.
i beat the living sh!t outta mine and the diff is fine.
i don't think "hardness" of driving correlates at all.

akm2k5
04-18-05, 10:09 AM
I was about to say something similar.. Maybe it has to do with the car break in period also? Like those who beat the hell out of their cars from day 1 vs after 1500 miles or something...

it seems to me alot of the failed/whining diffs we hear about come from owners who baby their cars.
i beat the living sh!t outta mine and the diff is fine.
i don't think "hardness" of driving correlates at all.

alcindus
04-18-05, 11:09 AM
I broke mine in very hard . Found a long road with no traffic. The car had maybe 50 miles on her It was the first day of ownership, any way I kept her in 3rd gear and accelerated hard up the rpm scale and would let her decellerate just as hard back down .I did this continually for abour 30 to 40 minutes. { oil temp light came on by the way ] My point Is I Drive the car hard Every day I have 19000 miles And even drag strip time on her and not one leak no oil consumption problems , nothing , has not been to shop for any Issues . Other than what I have done myself LOL, spun out and lost control .Yeah TC was shut off and I was playing. I mean I drive this car hard No burn outs anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no broken anything !!!!!

lasstss
04-18-05, 01:56 PM
I broke mine in very hard . Found a long road with no traffic. The car had maybe 50 miles on her It was the first day of ownership, any way I kept her in 3rd gear and accelerated hard up the rpm scale and would let her decellerate just as hard back down .I did this continually for abour 30 to 40 minutes. { oil temp light came on by the way ] My point Is I Drive the car hard Every day I have 19000 miles And even drag strip time on her and not one leak no oil consumption problems , nothing , has not been to shop for any Issues . Other than what I have done myself LOL, spun out and lost control .Yeah TC was shut off and I was playing. I mean I drive this car hard No burn outs anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no broken anything !!!!!

IMpact is what blows rears, especially those with an aluminum case. Side stepping a clutch is brain dead! There is no reason to do that other than to blow something on a street car. Let it out quick & then nail it. It will last..

GNSCOTT
04-18-05, 08:08 PM
Lastss, my 1100ft lb Grand National had an alluminum center section. Alluminum itself has nothing to do with it, it would have to be the alluminum in conjunction with the engineering. Alot of V's are breaking half shafts and that usually has nothing to do with the casing. I just think its cheap internals. You can also count on the new ZO6 having an alluminum rear.

markbinkc
04-18-05, 08:51 PM
Guys, what seems kinda strange to me is that some people have had no problems, such as myself. I've got about 8300 miles, and not a hint of whine, knock on wood. Then there are others who have had more than 1, and someone I saw that's on #4. That wouldn't seem to be a batch number to me, but that's just my $.02.

lasstss
04-18-05, 09:25 PM
Lastss, my 1100ft lb Grand National had an alluminum center section. Alluminum itself has nothing to do with it, it would have to be the alluminum in conjunction with the engineering. Alot of V's are breaking half shafts and that usually has nothing to do with the casing. I just think its cheap internals. You can also count on the new ZO6 having an alluminum rear.

Ill go along with that. I guess I should qualify . The case is too thin. From the one's I have seen, the pinion & ring gear survived, its the case that separated. Also, the whine is from to much lash or a change in clearance. Doesent seem like the diff case is stable enough to hold the factory settings. I cant believe all of these rears go out noisy.?

I heard that the 2006? gets new stronger half shafts? They are supposed to be bolt ins. I think I got that from Specter.

Devil_concours
04-18-05, 11:41 PM
i babied my car most of its life (well i was always stuck in traffic) but my diff eventually started howling then eventually had it replaced. I'm on my #2 diff and it starts to howl after a long enough drive that heat up the rear diff lube

wildwhl
04-19-05, 12:12 AM
OK, so aftermarket halfshafts, and if it IS the case, can't there be some aftermarket reinforcement girdles or the sort?

DTE?

kimcheejeegae
04-19-05, 10:16 AM
no howls.. no issues.... 3700 miles and knocking on wood.