: Swirl Marks....

Joey'sVee
04-18-05, 12:58 AM
Do you think the black V shows swirl marks worse than the other colors. I don't know if the dealer used an orbital buffer :nono: or what but I noticed the swirl marks look bad own my V and it's new:mad: ...but it has been on the lot for over a year. What is the best stuff on the market to get rid of these bad swirl marks???:confused:

Dave's V
04-18-05, 01:10 AM
Every flaw shows up on black cars. That is why they are so beautiful when they are perfect.

Unfortunately, perfect doesn't last long in the real world.

wildwhl
04-18-05, 01:22 AM
Swirl marks are a biatch on black cars...tough to get rid of too :(

thebigjimsho
04-18-05, 01:24 AM
I had a couple of light ghost swirls on my V when I picked it up. I use Griot's Garage products on my V and Town Car. I have a Porter Cable random orbital and use the mildest of the 3 level polish Griot's has. Swirls are totally gone without a trace and the car still looks flawless.

04-18-05, 06:12 AM
Black is black; the V is no different than any other. I've heard good stuff about Griots. I have typically used Meguiar's "mirror glaze" to get rid of swirl marks and deepen a shine. Years ago in body shops we would use pink stuff called "Fill n' Glaze, but I can't recall who made that product (3M? DuPont?), and I don't know if it is even still available.

There are lots of good products outs there these days. My solution was to get a platinum V, and generally stick to light color paint.....

Joey'sVee
04-18-05, 08:32 AM
I was thinking about trying the new Mequirs stuff that supposedly gets rid of swirls marks (for a short time anyways), but I've always been a Zaino Bro's fan. I see if they make something specifically for swirl marks.

Anyother ideas are welcome!

Samboosa
04-18-05, 08:35 AM
i thought zaino's z2 is supposed to take care of swirl marks?
i use it and it works great. used to work great on my black srx. with zfx and with at least 3 layers u will be able to get rid of average swirls for good in 1 day.

i then put a layer of z5 to finish.

turbojimmy
04-18-05, 08:54 AM
I use 3M's Perfect-it for swirl marks - it works awesome. I use Zaino for everything else. Black is very difficult to keep looking good if the car is a daily driver. I only drive my GN a few months a year and it's nearly impossible to keep looking decent.

Jim

EDIT: confused the Imperial Hand Glaze with Perfect-it

darvish
04-18-05, 08:57 AM
Fill and Glaze is made by 3M... it works very well.. but is temporary you have to reapply it every so often. Look into what Griots Garage has to offer and consider getting one of those Porter Cable random orbitals..( Dont buy THAT from Griots ,, juts go to a harware store. cheaper that way) If you have a balck car you NEED on of those buffers.

Bill
St LOuis

Joey'sVee
04-18-05, 09:04 AM
I'm skeered to use a buffer (on my car) lol!

turbojimmy
04-18-05, 09:16 AM
I was right before I edited my post. I'm not at home so I had to guess what's on the shelf in the garage. It is the Imperial Hand Glaze that I use on the GN. It fills the swirl marks and then I 'seal' it with Zaino.

The Perfect-it actually REMOVES the swirl marks (it's an abrasive) as opposed to filling them.

I like 3M's stuff (I use their tire dressing, glass polish and one-step cleaner/wax too), but I always use Zaino for the final finish.

Jim

04-18-05, 09:18 AM
I'm skeered to use a buffer (on my car) lol!

the orbitals are much more user-friendly (less prone to "burning" edges) than the rotary polishers. You still need to be careful though.

louiefl99
04-18-05, 01:10 PM
I posted this in the detailing thread a little while back, only so much you can do with hand applied products. Swirls are usually a result of very fine scratches in the clear coat, very difficult to remove by hand. Machine applied products break down with heat and pressure and provide a much better final result. Many polishes and waxes contain fillers that will hide the swirls that will wash off over time and the swirls return.

I'm a big fan of Meguiar's, here's my take:

Start off with a clay bar (about $10-$15) on a very clean, just washed car. I have had very good results with the 3-step process from Meguiar's; Step 1 cleaner, step 2 polish, and step 3 wax, about $5 or $6 for each bottle. Use a new applicator pad for each step ($2 for 3), and buff off using microfiber towels (again new one for each step). They are relatively cheap and you can get a 6-pack for about $6 at Wal-Mart, they can be washed and re-used over and over again. Don't use terry cloth, rags, old t-shirts, etc as these can be pretty harsh on your finish.

I recently stepped it up a notch and bought a Porter Cable dual action sander polisher from Lowes, the same unit here from Classic Motoring Accessories.

http://www.properautocare.com/basporcab74p.html

When used with a velcro backing plate and a a variety of pads you can get pretty serious results without the risk of damaging your paint.

http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html

I use the yellow pad with Meguiar's #9 swirl remover, the white pad with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze, and the black pad with Meguiar's #26 wax.

This level of cleaning will run around $200 and does a much better job than hand applied products in about 1/2 the time.

I have had black cars for the past 12 years and they always looked showroom new, without spiderwebs and swirls in the finish. I have seen some pretty serious damage with "professionals" using a rotary, the polishes wash off in a couple weeks and the finish looks horrible (also have seen some stunning work in the hands of those truly experienced using rotaries).

thebigjimsho
04-18-05, 01:16 PM
Fill and Glaze is made by 3M... it works very well.. but is temporary you have to reapply it every so often. Look into what Griots Garage has to offer and consider getting one of those Porter Cable random orbitals..( Dont buy THAT from Griots ,, juts go to a harware store. cheaper that way) If you have a balck car you NEED on of those buffers.

Bill
St LOuisVery good advice. You can pick up just the orbital at Lowe's for about $80. Griot's sells the orbital kit which has dust vacuum and foam pads. But you can also find that elsewhere for around $119 or so. I'll see if I can find both part numbers.

As for Griot's products, half the reason I like them so much is that Griot's explains exactly what they do for your car and why. The other is that they work so well. I didn't know much about the differences in waxes, polishes, glazes and such. They don't have ultra-secret coded waxes and polymers that supposedly do very specific things.

Griot's provides a detailed booklet that explains everything. I wasn't experienced at paint care and now I feel like an expert. My V makes me look like I am. It's not rocket science, although most car care products want to make it that way so that every new product they release is something that you MUST have. A scratch is a scratch. A swirl is a minute scratch. Waxes fill scratches. Polishes break down the "valley" that the scratch produces and smooths it out flat.

Weblike swirls are very, very miniscule and only need a good wax to fill, seal and blend. Ghost swirls, the 3D effect looking swirls are miniscule enough that a very mild polish will do just fine. Light scratches may be removed or blended in enough that will look invisible by a more aggressive polish. If you have a deeper scratch, you need to wet sand or repaint. Whatever polish is used, you then protect with wax. Not a difficult concept. Again, I like Griot's Garage products because they are simply worded, are simple to use and simply work very well.

RobzBLKV
04-18-05, 06:19 PM
What BigJim said (especially about the difference between polishes and fillers). You can't hurt your car with an orbital if you use the right pads and the right products. It's not like trying to use a direct drive buffer - that takes skill and is something I would be afraid to try. Black is a bitch and this paint is not as durable as the black I had on the BMW, but it's not all that hard to keep up if you keep after it, and NOTHING looks as good when it's clean. :thumbsup: