: New dash trim pieces on the '79

Night Wolf
04-17-05, 11:50 PM
Well, to make this short...

the '79 DeVille has the NASTY burlwood trim pieces... gosh, it is ugly.. I hate the pattern and I hate the bright wood, it woudln't be so bad, but I am staring at the dash when I drive my car and it annoys the hell out of me!

in my mothers '89 Brougham, it has the nice darker American Rosewood, which I really, really like...

well, countinuing my tradiation of saying to hell with keeping a car origanal.. why live with something I don't like (I mean it's my car after all) I decided to spend a day and make my car..... how I like it (plus it can all be changed back if needed)

So I needed a donor car... well, while at my favorite local junkyard getting some parts for the Oldsmobile, I looked around... couple cars were gone... couple new ones...

One was a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham (RWD), not hit, and was complete... upon going inside it, is when I saw it... not *as* nice wood trim as my mothers '89, but damn close... and light years ahead of the crap on my '79 to start with.... so I took it.

driver side was easy, couple screws and bam, it was off..... passenger side... heh... I took the service manual to the car (coudln't have done it without it) and it still too me a good 1.5 hours to get the damn thing off....

Oh, and I noticed the radio... I guess 1986 still kept the old style radio... like my '79, and 1987 was the first year for the double DIN Delco system that was used on every single GM for about 15 years?

Well, this car had an AM/FM/Cassette player with trebele and bass controls and balance/fader... I wanted it! That way I can use the cassette adapter for my XM radio or MP3 player and it will sound much better then the junky wireless FM transmitter thing... plus the old AM/FM/8-track player wasn't very good at picking up, and keeping a good FM signal...

So here are a couple before pictures... before... with the ugly, and nasty origanal (kinda fadded) burlwood dash....

Night Wolf
04-17-05, 11:55 PM
Here are the main parts.

I also got the trunk mat, which was in good shape, and all 4 door trim pieces (that are the same pattern) along with the switches... AND the radio... the total for all this was about $32! :)

So I brought the radio inside, cleaned it up, cleaned up inside of it.... the tape player works great, I had to wire in a part of the harness from the other car, but everything besides SEEK works (which means I can't adjust the minutes on the time either) but I am very happy... it picks up FM great and sounds great...

*Also, since it was a Fleetwood Brougham, it siad "Brougham" on the glove box, and I wanted my "DeVille d'Elegance" badge... so upon looking at it, the hole for the second posts (since it was longer) was pre-made on the backside, just not all the way, so I pulled the Brougham badge off, drilled out the hole, and my DeVille badge fit right on it :)

Night Wolf
04-17-05, 11:59 PM
I also rpelaced the wiper switch, my old one had lots of heat cracks, the housing for the light was melted, and it never went on HI (because the housing was melted) but since i replkaced it, the wipers do not work (I think it is the connection, I honestly havn't spent as much as 2 minutes looking at it) but atleast it looks better :)

and.... check out the new trim :)

Night Wolf
04-18-05, 12:11 AM
And finally, some random pictures... I also "acquired" the knob for the climate control lever... that is nice.....

and since I have a new glove box door, the little strap is there, my old one broke so I made one from a zip tie thing, but this is better... although since the keys for the car (and the glove box) are in the ignition of that car... I can not lock or unlock the glovebox (it is unlocked) now you might say... pff... Rick, you are a jackass, just swap the locks.... but... GM likes to be a real PITA... and enable to remove the lock you need..... the key! wow... what a surprise... so... unless I go back and get the key (I was just there ysterday, and went IN the same car... ugh... the things I do) before it gets crushed or someone else gets the key, then I have a glove box that can not be locked. oh well.

oh, and I also fixed the glove box light, well, all the parts are there, but the bulb is blown, so I assume that when I change the bulb, it'll work... atleast I hop it does....

Next time I get a day off, I am going to the *other* junkyard, which has a much better selection, but charges alot more... I want to get a new fuel gauge.. one that has the yellow low fuel light (mine dosn't) weather it will work or not in my car, I dunno, but my "unleaded fuel only" is smeared, so it looks ugly... and I also want the top dash pieces.. the part that on the passenger side says "Cadillac" since my fake plastic chrome is all messed up, IIRC there were a few nice ones there.... it'll make it look much better.

Here it is though, my 1979 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance getting changed to be the way *I* like it... I have done it with the '93, and I will do it with this... it is far better though, and is very nice to look at... I am very happy too... and I know now there is no other car like mine out there :)

DopeStar 156
04-18-05, 10:14 AM
What do you intend to do about the door panel? You still have osme of the original burlwood on there? Also I don't think the original trim looked too bad. I thought it made the car look like an antique. My parents old 89 Suburban had the burlwood interior and it looked pretty nice.

90Brougham350
04-18-05, 10:31 AM
I love the burlwood! But I think your 79 looks pretty darn good now.

Brian

Night Wolf
04-18-05, 03:00 PM
lol, all 4 are switched, I just used those as an example.

Plus, my old door trim piece for the left rear door was broken, so I had it off, atleast now it is on and looks good.

the burlwood was the old stuff, the new stuff is the American Rosewood....

Here are some more pics from last November....

I also fixed the AC vents, now they stay when you put them (center) instead of going up like the one in the picture...

DopeStar 156
04-18-05, 04:32 PM
I also fixed the AC vents, now they stay when you put them (center) instead of going up like the one in the picture...
Mine used to do that too. I bought some of that adhesive felt stuff you stick to the bottom of lamps and vases to give them some traction on a table. I stuck those whre the original brushings used to be on one side only. Now they move just fine and stay in place.

Night Wolf
04-18-05, 09:21 PM
see, I took the cheap way out, and put a few layers of electrical tape on the top and bottom of the vent itself...

unless you move it far up or down, the edge of the tape catches and you gotta be careful pushing it back in, but for most movement, it is fine... in fact they are always "centered" so I am very happy...

AdmiralViscen
04-20-05, 02:42 PM
I also rpelaced the wiper switch, my old one had lots of heat cracks, the housing for the light was melted, and it never went on HI (because the housing was melted) but since i replkaced it, the wipers do not work (I think it is the connection, I honestly havn't spent as much as 2 minutes looking at it) but atleast it looks better :)

and.... check out the new trim :)

You should have gotten the lighter from the other car. The lighter has the burl wood inserts, and it stands out against the new panels.

DopeStar 156
04-20-05, 04:41 PM
Yeah the light knob has a different pattern on it.

Night Wolf
04-20-05, 11:00 PM
You noticed :)

truth is, the light switch on the Fleet that I got the parts from was busted, and it was the only car at that yard with a switch worth taking, plus my switch works fine and is in good shape.

Same with the wood pattern behind the climate control and radio (in fact the local/distant and AM/FM words are still on it)

but overall, it looks much better, and I am very happy with it.

I also removed the dash mount for the GPS.... it was never able to lock onto a signal there anyway....