: Drivetrain Carnage

MonsterV
04-17-05, 09:22 PM
O.K. heres what 500rwhp will do to the rear diff if the car hooks up.

BTW the driveshaft was completely twisted in 1/2

http://www.kascoinc.com/cfforum/images/pic01.jpg

http://www.kascoinc.com/cfforum/images/pic02.jpg

http://www.kascoinc.com/cfforum/images/pic03.jpg

CVP33
04-17-05, 09:26 PM
A few more details would be helpful. Sorry to see your first post was caused by a catastrophic failure like this.

willsctsv
04-17-05, 09:27 PM
I beleive I can do that to these cheesey freakin diff's with the 400 hp.
I have 600 miles on the new diff and the whine started at about 300 miles. What a joke!

Dreamin
04-17-05, 09:28 PM
Whao! :eek:

Where did this happen? Drag strip? Street driving? Hard launch??

What's your setup? S/C?

CVP33
04-17-05, 10:05 PM
GM engineer's and service tech's replies:

1) "At least it doesn't whine anymore."
2) "I don't know how that could've happened, it's rated at just over 300ft./lbs."
3) "This is the first failure of this kind we've ever seen."
4) "Obviously this is a result of aggressive driving. Have you EVER exceeded the speed limit?"
5) "K&N airfilters are not approved for the LS6. This is clearly a failure due to an aftermarket filter."
6) "The CTS-V is not intended for use on public streets."
7) "Give 'em a free Bose Radio and tell 'em we're sorry."
8) "This is completely normal. We designed the break away differential to mimick tear away jerseys of pro football players."
9) "Your Billy Boat X-Pipe's resonance actually fatigued the metal causing the failure."
10) "The added weight of your aftermarket "LS6" emblem placed undue stress on the rear end causing the failure."

MonsterV
04-17-05, 10:25 PM
Whao! :eek:

Where did this happen? Drag strip? Street driving? Hard launch??

What's your setup? S/C?

On the Street with a good sticky tire

Hard Launch Yes but it broke going into second when the tires hooked hard

Setup is in developmental stages but I will give you a hint it will involve the most efficient form of forced induction and a kit will be available in the spring of 2006 if all goes well that will be a DIY bolt on system.

The drivetrain is definitely the weak link here I hope someone comes up with something that will be able to hold 550rwhp reliably

StealthV
04-17-05, 10:34 PM
is in developmental stages but I will give you a hint it will involve the most efficient form of forced induction and a kit will be available in the spring of 2006 if all goes well that will be a DIY bolt on system.

We have to wait an entire year for hairdryers? :banghead:

wildwhl
04-17-05, 10:46 PM
:nono: can you tell me was it a "powershift" into second?

Dammit...I'm getting worried :eek:

Devil_concours
04-17-05, 10:50 PM
mmmm turbo'ed cts-v

wildwhl
04-17-05, 10:53 PM
Hmmm...so it would appear it is the case that is the weak link here, and not necessarily the gears?

Phil @ DTE - any ideas? Is that diff I sent you going to be worth any help in development? Wish I had a back up spare :nono:

CTSV05
04-17-05, 10:56 PM
Prolly not a "powershift", doubt if it would need to be with over 5hundo RWHP!!

Monster, send those pics to GM and Getrag!!!!!

StealthV
04-17-05, 11:17 PM
Cast *cough* iron

:rant2: GM

steve711
04-18-05, 12:09 AM
If only we knew the formula that the racing team (cts-vR) has for running the stock rears hard hard as piss and not blowing'em??????.

Dave's V
04-18-05, 12:22 AM
If only we knew the formula that the racing team (cts-vR) has for running the stock rears hard hard as piss and not blowing'em??????.

Hey you got the exact same vehicles I got. My TB is green and has the V-8. V is platinum/ebony.

benjet
04-18-05, 12:22 AM

I believe I know this one!!!

Service life of <500 miles?

I mean really practice (1-2 hours), warm up (<30 mins), qualify (<30 mins), race (usually 50 mins around a 2.x mile course). Replace. Repeat as needed.

-Ben

P.S. In this instace the rear can whine like a f1 engine, wouldn't be heard over the sounds of the exhuast (closer to the driver's ears).

MonsterV
04-18-05, 12:37 AM
:nono: can you tell me was it a "powershift" into second?

Dammit...I'm getting worried :eek:

Nope it wasn't a power shift but was definitely not a grandma shift either.

You should be scared as h*ll if you get a good solid shift and the tires grab hard. Scared the you know what out of me when it happened sounded like the whole car was coming apart and then the grinding and thunking until everything stopped spinning took for what seemed like forever.

wildwhl
04-18-05, 12:39 AM
How many miles on this diff...and how many with your "power adder"?

MonsterV
04-18-05, 12:53 AM
How many miles on this diff...and how many with your &quot;power adder&quot;?

Less than 7,500 on the diff total. Less than 1,500 before failure with power adder, my guess is the case fatigued over time and then finally just let go completely.

steve711
04-18-05, 01:13 AM
Hey you got the exact same vehicles I got. My TB is green and has the V-8. V is platinum/ebony.
My tb is blue metallic/grey V6 (wanted the the V8 though) is your ext?

OuTLAw
04-18-05, 01:22 AM
So its a good thing that I cant hook up in 2nd gear?

Dave's V
04-18-05, 01:37 AM
My tb is blue metallic/grey V6 (wanted the the V8 though) is your ext?

Yeah it is an EXT LT, V-8, 4X4, green exterior/gray interior. Great for going places where my V can't go.

ctsvett
04-18-05, 06:13 AM
If your working on something "secret" and its forced induction I would suggest the following:

DONT mention that they kit you will soon be selling/ promoting can do this (see nasty pictures above) to your driveline...

I really hope that "forced induction" kit (aka turbocharger.. Hmmmm) comes with a driveline upgrade now, or I dont think you are going to sell too many...

Reed

Joey'sVee
04-18-05, 08:54 AM
:yeah: