: New caddy owner looking for info

dadarkjedi
04-17-05, 08:46 PM
Just wanted to say hello to everyone, Im new to the forum and to my new Cadillac, and it seems like this is a great forum for info and sharing suggestions amongest Cadillac owners, so I just wanted to ask what everyone here would recommend for me to use to clean as well as protect the seats in my car. The car is a 1990 Brougham Fleetwood D'elegance, and the seats are really thick padded leather or vinyl or whatever its made of. Im also looking for info on cleaning the engine, vinyl top and the spoke rims (not hubcaps). Well I guess I dont know to much about these car's ( always had pickup trucks ) and I've been reading this forum for like a week now trying to gather info, but most of what I was able to find, gives you info on maintaining new stuff thats been replaced or updated. I also would like to put an aftermarket car radio, without having to remove the original so any recommendations on location are appreciated. I want to keep the car as original as possible without changing the look. I dont plan on using this car as an everyday car, but mostly a weekend car, and really not till next summer. The car is in really great condition, and the only problem I have found with it is an oil leak the comes from around the valve covers and from what I read on these forums, it seems to be a common thing. I purchased the car a week ago from the original purchaser of the car and I had to drive it home, about 45 miles away and it drove like a dream, so I think it was a good buy, I would like to give it a nice tuneup and go through everything that I can for now and just cover it up for the rest of the year and work on it next year, any help and recommendations are welcome. Thank you

Grilles R Us
04-17-05, 09:18 PM
Regarding the radio, is there room for one under the seat? I think you can get them with a remote control and would keep you from having to look down to use the controls. You wheels have a seperate clock on the dash since that is one thing I like when driving? You could also throw a cd changer in the trunk. We took the radio out of our Cadillac but its more for use than showing off. Saved the old one to put back in, when and if we every sell it.
Good luck and welcome to the Forum. Bill

pimpin88
04-17-05, 10:16 PM
Im also looking for info on cleaning the engine, vinyl top and the spoke rims (not hubcaps).

wait a second. are you saying you have the factory cadillac spoked wheels!! take some pics man. those are worth a lot and hard to find

89 D'elegance
04-17-05, 10:57 PM
How much are they worth? I also have them on my '89 d'Elegance.

89 D'elegance
04-17-05, 11:00 PM
Yes, lets see some pics of your 90. Mine also has a bit of oil leaking also. Let me give you or anyone out there a tip from a friend of mine mechanic. Take some break fluid and put it in with your oil, drive it for three weeks or so then change your oil. It may help cure some of your leaks by allowing the gaskets to expand. This causes no harm can only help. That is what they did to mine rather then spending 1,200 to fix the leaks which I am not about to do after paying good money for the car (its mint so I had to pay).

dadarkjedi
04-17-05, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the fast responses and Ill take some pictures tommorow and try to post them up, I think they are the factory rims, they are the true spokes and they have the cadillac symbol in the middle and if you look in the back of the manual that came with the car, there is a pic of a black and silver seville D'elegance, and the rims that are on that car in the picture (if you have the manual) are the same rims that are on my car. So i figured if they are in the manual on a different car then the must be the originals from the factory. Thanks again for the fast responses and ill put the pics up tommorow Thanks again

90Brougham350
04-18-05, 12:27 PM
Welcome to our addiction. I have a 90 Brougham as well. What engine do you have, 307 or 350? Regarding the stereo, I was in the same situation several months ago when I bought mine. I left the factory head unit in place and put my Blaupuknt in the glovebox. I wanted to keep the factory look, as well as not show off a $600 stereo to car thieves. PM me if you want a detailed description of what I did. As to the valve covers leaking, thats an easy fix, at least on the driver side. You have to remove parts from the A.I.R. injection on the passenger side to get that valve cover off, but new gaskets are cheap and once you get the smog off it's a 10 minute job to swap. Good luck!

Brian

pimpin88
04-18-05, 01:15 PM
How much are they worth? I also have them on my '89 d'Elegance.

well, i've seen them in the high hundreds, and if i remember correctly there was another thread on here where everyone was saying that $400 was a very good price and they would jump on them if they had the chance. . . so yea, they are worth a bit

Leloz
04-18-05, 02:28 PM
Congratulations on the purchase. I recently saw a Ebay auction with the OEM Cadillac thin spoke wheels bring over $1,000!

dadarkjedi
04-18-05, 06:17 PM
Hi again, i just wanted to say thanks again for all the feedback. I have takin some pictures ( I have to tell you though that the car is filthy,lol, I mean I havent cleaned it yet since I bought it and it sat in a garage uncleaned though winter so it needs a cleaning bad ) but im not to sure how to put them up so if anyone can give me some info on that, I would be greatfull. I will be back on later today

kmhebert
04-18-05, 06:24 PM
What's up dadarkjedi, congratulations on the Brougham. They are a lot of fun to drive and own.

dadarkjedi
04-18-05, 10:58 PM
Here are some pictures just before my battery died, keep in mind also I havent cleaned this car yet so looks a little dusty and rims arent clean at all ( break dust ) lol
http://members.cox.net/raziel2/DSCN2544.JPG http://members.cox.net/raziel2/DSCN2545.JPG http://members.cox.net/raziel2/DSCN2548.JPG http://members.cox.net/raziel2/DSCN2549.JPG

dadarkjedi
04-18-05, 11:05 PM
sorry about the size of the pictures, I hope I didnt break any rules, this was my first time posting with pictures. the car is really dirty as u can see but she is beautiful ( in my eyes anyways ) and for 900 bucks, I dont think I did too bad. I will try to put more pictures ( a little smaller ) after I charge up my camera, the battery died after the picture oh well, Thanks for all your info and help.

89 D'elegance
04-18-05, 11:10 PM
yes, nice car give it a good detail and you will like it more.

AdmiralViscen
04-19-05, 10:41 AM
I just bought a 1988 Brougham D'Elegance, and I'd like tips on concealing a CD player, too.

Leloz
04-19-05, 12:43 PM
In my 1991 Brougham, the original owner installed a Kenwood FM modulated 12 disc cd changer. It is mounted in the trunk and the remote is hidden inside the front arm-rest. It works perfectly with the OEM FM/AM Cassette player.

AdmiralViscen
04-19-05, 12:48 PM
I don't want to spend all that money on a changer, though. I already have a standard unit from my previous car. I just want to stick it in the glovebox or something rather than in place of the radio.

D148L0
04-19-05, 12:49 PM
In my 1991 Brougham, the original owner installed a Kenwood FM modulated 12 disc cd changer. It is mounted in the trunk and the remote is hidden inside the front arm-rest. It works perfectly with the OEM FM/AM Cassette player.
Yep. Good option if you just want a simple upgrade.

D148L0
04-19-05, 12:51 PM
As for the new guys, welcome to the forums.