: Early 80's Deville INTERIOR pix, please?

cmgrafmc
04-17-05, 05:11 PM
You guys are gonna get sick of me.

Am I correct in guessing that the 1980-'85(?) Deville four door sedans were basically the same as the 1980-1992 Broughams? I ask because I was watching "Nightshift" last night (it wasn't LOUSY) and in the first couple of minutes some pimps drive up in this SICK looking early 80's Deville. I know it was a Deville because the opera lights were on the C pillars, not in between the doors. I got a great look at the interior, thanks to freeze-frame. I have to say, while the seats and dash seem the same, it had this really nice looking door panel that was exacly like mine BUT it had wood trim on it, too.

So do any of you early '80's Deville owners have some interior photos you might be willing to share? I want to get a better look to see if it's something I might want to do with my car. I'm already two modifications away from being stock, might as well go for the trifecta. A larger engine would make it four. Ha.

Thanks!

Night Wolf
04-17-05, 06:00 PM
Well, AFAIK only '77-'79 had the opra lamps on the sail panels...

and from 1977-1984 it was "only" the DeVille.... the "Fleetwood" was the upscale model.

in 1985 "DeVille" went to the smaller FWD chassis, and "Brougham" kept the RWD chassis until 1992...

so from 1980-1984, it was the DeVille... no Brougham.

none of them used real wood on the doors... from the factory atleast.

Are you sure it wasn't a '77-'79 you saw? the door panels are slightly differenrt.

cmgrafmc
04-17-05, 06:04 PM
1983 Deville: it has the opera lights at the back. I don't have any interior shot, though. Now, I might be wrong about this. I'm relying on punk kids on cardomain.com who post pix. Could be a mistake.

What I saw could have been late 70's, it's hard to tell. The movie came out in '82 so the '83's would have been out then, probably. I just assumed they'd use a new car. I suppose even pimps keep their cars more than a couple of years.

Night Wolf
04-17-05, 06:19 PM
ok, so I bet the opra lamps got moved between the doors with the 1985 name change/slight update....

1980-1984 also used the "old" style door handles (like my '79) and IIRC in 1985 is when they switched to the "new" ones that were pretty much standard on half of GM cars (same door handles for my mothers '89 Brougham, my '89 Oldsmobile and my '93 DeVille :) )

Anyway, here is a shot of the door panel of my '79.... the trim piece that holds the switches and stuff is form a 1986 Fleetwood... along with all the dash trim on my car, I changed it, which is why it dosn't match the other part of the door panel. But it looks much better. Any the stuff on the pull handle and behind it... that contact-paper junk... it has peeled off, so it also dosn't look that good... but, for the most part, here is the door of my '79 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance :)

cmgrafmc
04-17-05, 07:14 PM
Hm. Here's a still of the DVD to show you what I'm talking about. I like the trim around your door panel, though. Burlwood? I don't know what they use in the '89. I'm tempted to say Rosewood but I have no proof of that. Anyway, here's the Deville in question.

DopeStar 156
04-17-05, 07:32 PM
The 1980-1984 Sedan de Villes had the opera lamps on the C-Pillar. The 77-79 DeVilles also had them on the C-Pillar. This light wasn't on all the coupes but the sedans had them. The 77-79 Fleetwood Brougham also had the opera lamps on the C-Pillars and were lightbulbs and not electrolumunescent. The 1980-1989 Fleetwood Brougham all had the opera lamps like you and I have, electroluminesent ones between the doors. In 1990 the era lamps were still between the doors and still electroluminsecent but where on a solid chome strip that went the entire height of the pillar. The 85-93 FWD Sedan de Villes didn't have opera lamps. Some of the coupes did but I've never seen them on the sedans. The FWD Fleetwoods (Not Broughams) had them on the C-Pillar. Ok, that covers opera lamps.

The interiors of the 80-84 DeVilles had a different woodgrain pattern Somewhere along the line they switched to the walnut burlwood of the late 80's Fleetwood Broughams. Since the interiors are pretty much the same it's pretty easy to swap them around. Whew. I'm spent.

Big_Blue
04-17-05, 09:28 PM
here is a interior door pic

Door Panel (http://home.comcast.net/%7Eakaric/images/ad_3.jpg)

Night Wolf
04-17-05, 10:11 PM
questions questions questions!

ok... first...

I brightened the pic of that car form the DVD.... that is standard door trim fare here.... nothing special... what IS special is the white leather interrior! white leather = my ultimate favorite interrior!

on my '79 it is burl wood... it is nsasty!... gosh I hate it.... 1977/1978 had nice walnut, then they switched to this junk, and it got worse in 1980.... I got so tired of looking at my dash, I did something about it :) (I should make a thread)

~1986 got American Rosewood... NOT Burlwood... Burlwood is the neasty stuff that is (was) on my '79... has the swirls and it is lighter... it is nasty... the mid-late 80's (and '77/'78) had the nice darker colors that did not swirl.

for '77-'79... atleast, not sure of the other years... the opra lamps are in fact optional, as I have the origanal window sticker for my '79 and it has it listed, plus the cost.

I found it strange '85-'93 FWD DeVilles didn't have them.... eh, for once GM actually gave the Coupes something the Sedans didn't have... I like them (not very bright though)

DopeStar 156
04-17-05, 10:46 PM
~1986 got American Rosewood... NOT Burlwood... Burlwood is the neasty stuff that is (was) on my '79... has the swirls and it is lighter... it is nasty... the mid-late 80's (and '77/'78) had the nice darker colors that did not swirl.
Whoops! He's right, burlwood is the swirly kind and rosewood is what I have in my 89. Wolf if you hate the burlwood so much why don't you switch with the wood grain from a late 80's RWD or better yet get a new wood grain kit put in?

Night Wolf
04-17-05, 11:39 PM
they sell kits for these cars?

eh... I was gonna do it tomorrow.. but now, 11:40PM I will do it now.... watch for my new thread :)

cmgrafmc
04-18-05, 12:15 AM
questions questions questions!

ok... first...

I brightened the pic of that car form the DVD.... that is standard door trim fare here.... nothing special... what IS special is the white leather interrior! white leather = my ultimate favorite interrior!

Now, since this is a Deville, maybe that IS standard door trim...but not for my Brougham. That's what I was getting at. I like how that looks, with the wood surronding the upper panel and door pull. Mine is just vinyl and the only wood is in the arm rest, as you see in that picture.

So what I'm thinking is that maybe, if the wood trim was similar and it fit, I might use a door panel from a Deville because it looks more luxurious.

Night Wolf
04-18-05, 12:29 AM
can you get pics of your car and exactly what you mean?

I think I know what you mean... but I don't see why this car would have it, while yours dosn't....

...oh, and those opra lamps are the same as my '79... they are on too :)

cmgrafmc
04-18-05, 02:22 AM
I'll post a pic tomorrow. Mine's an '89 Brougham while the one in the movie was an early 1980's Deville...so they're different cars, hence the different trim.

DopeStar 156
04-18-05, 10:01 AM
But the interiors were different over the years. Even both you and I have 89's we have different door panels since I have a d'Elegance and you have the base model. The absence of the woodgrain was probably just something they axed for a different look is all. Still the only difference is if you swap door panels with a DeVille you'll have "DeVille" embroidery on the doors instead of "Brougham" which is what I believe yours says. Some say "Fleetwood" some say "d'Elegance."

cmgrafmc
04-18-05, 07:24 PM
Actually, mine don't say anything on the door panels. Thanks for rubbing in the fact that mine's the BASE model. =( LOL *SLINKS AWAY, SOBBING*

Anyway, I'm not griping about the trim. What I'm thinking is that I'll GET the trim from another Caddy to spiff up mine on the inside to make it more luxurious. That's what I've been getting at. And in the pics I've seen, I don't see "Deville" embroidered, either.

adam_mcd
04-18-05, 09:00 PM
i love the burlwood! any other looks like wood paneling in a mobile home. its also very unique (expensive to replace though..) i have seen 79's with faded burlwood and it does look like utter crap, but if its in good shape, its the best. later on though, i would like to convert to, like, real cherrywood or something. plastic wood trim can only go so far..

anyone have any links for wood grain transfer kits? i heard something about that

oh, to answer the question, http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/brochures/cadillac/81cad.html

does this 81 full line brochure help? early 80's devilles have this, almost yellow/brown wood trim that isnt all that hot.

cmgrafmc
04-18-05, 11:30 PM
Off topic, but I want those 15x6 Caddy wire wheels! I've got the wire caps. =(

DopeStar 156
04-19-05, 01:22 AM
Actually, mine don't say anything on the door panels. Thanks for rubbing in the fact that mine's the BASE model. =( LOL *SLINKS AWAY, SOBBING* There there baby, 's ok....

cmgrafmc
04-19-05, 01:41 AM
BABY, huh? I bet my Bro could beat up YOUR Bro. =P

DopeStar 156
04-19-05, 09:19 AM
If you mean your brother could beat up mine, then yeah, he's like 12. Have fun with that.

90Brougham350
04-19-05, 09:45 AM
Now now, both of you! Stop this this instance! Both of you, to your rooms, now! And my Brougham can beat up both your Broughams! :histeric:

Brian

DopeStar 156
04-19-05, 12:27 PM
Not if the two 89's gang up on you.