: longer term V owners

diver110
04-17-05, 06:00 PM
I thought about buying a V a while back but held off because 1. The car (if not most of the components) was new, 2. I was not sure I could live with full time stick shift as I spend a lot of time in traffic, and 3. I was not sure I wanted to spend 50k on a car. So I wend for a BMW 540ia sport instead.

Used V's are becoming available and I would be curious to hear what longer term V owners think of the car. How are they holding up. Any real differences between 2004 and 2005?

Thanks.

CVP33
04-17-05, 06:59 PM
I think I'm the longest term owner here from a standpoint of miles driven. GTP (Aaron L.) has me on rear differentials though. He's winning 3 to 2. Bought my '04 on February 13th, 2004. Miles driven = 20,000+. One differential, slave cylinder and 2 minor recalls. Bought the 2005 in November 2004. Miles driven = 9,000+. One half shaft, minor vibration from 65 to 80 mph which is intermitent.

Only difference 2004 to 2005 is the onstar antenna and satellite radio ant' are combined in the '05 for a cleaner look. Find a dealer with a certified car and opt' for the extended warranty = 6yr. 100Kmiles. Well worth the extra $1K. After that I would not fear anything. So far only one owner has had a warranty claim denied for aggressive driving.

lawfive
04-17-05, 07:14 PM
2005 V, bought in August 2004, almost 12K miles now. No problems at all. Still have tread on the original tires. Aside from having the highest torque rating, I also have to believe that the Platinum Vs have better quality built in.

My take: treat your V like you treat your wife, and you'll have few problems.*

-- Jerry

* Bang 'er hard now and then; be really nice in between.

wildwhl
04-17-05, 07:26 PM
2005 V, bought in August 2004, almost 12K miles now. No problems at all. Still have tread on the original tires. Aside from having the highest torque rating, I also have to believe that the Platinum Vs have better quality built in.

My take: treat your V like you treat your wife, and you'll have few problems.*

-- Jerry

* Bang 'er hard now and then; be really nice in between.

12K miles with 1.5K maggified...and lawfive, it isn't that the Patinum Vs have better quality built in, it is just that they are slower and less powerful from the factory. Plus, no one ever drives them but instead sits at home and wishes he had a black V :sneaky:

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, and I'm on diff #3, but one diff was due to a car accident (maybe) and I think this is the magic diff that will hold up to the Maggie and everything else that gets thrown at it.

Go with CVP33's advise and get a certified car with the extended warranty, and the, carry on, my wayward (BMW owner) son. :cool:

Katndnvr
04-17-05, 08:08 PM
:helpless: 14,000 miles here and no problems. Just had tires replaced and Corsa exhaust installled, enegine heater at dealer. Love the car but posted today to sell due to medical reasons. Have several domains and websites I am selling along with it. Hope it finds a good home. I purchased 2/28/04 and was told by dealer it was 6th off the line. Asking $49,999 with add ons, all domains and hosting for a year. And will deliver any where in the lower 48 on trailer. If any any one is interested see http://www.cts-v.org/auction/ or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11153&item=5768354322&rd=1

MikeF
04-17-05, 11:43 PM
Bought mine about 3 months ago brand new and still have less than 1K miles. It's super fun to drive but it's black and SOOO damn good looking that all I want to do is detail it, wax it over and over again and just sit in the garage and stare at it.

Dave's V
04-17-05, 11:49 PM
Bought mine a month ago and I put around 2400 miles on it. I'm planning on taking it up to the Cadadian Rockies in June, the Speed GT race in Denver in August and probably Cal in September.

Just drive the car. A car like this likes and needs to be driven.

thebigjimsho
04-18-05, 02:14 AM
I bought an '04 last Memorial Day weekend and have about 19,000 miles. Took it cross country with no issues. I've had the normal recall stuff as well as a moonroof module that many here have had fail.

Still on the original F1s and loving every second I get driving this car.

Dave's V
04-18-05, 02:39 AM
I bought an '04 last Memorial Day weekend and have about 19,000 miles. Took it cross country with no issues. I've had the normal recall stuff as well as a moonroof module that many here have had fail.

Still on the original F1s? Do you mean there is hope that these tires might last 20,000 miles? I'm worried about them making it to the Denver race in August.

StealthV
04-18-05, 02:40 AM
Jim, the little pedal on the right goes to the floor. 19,000 :hmm:

Bet I burned off a few hundred miles worth of rubber today grabbing 3rd gear. :lildevil:

04-18-05, 07:20 AM
Remember BigJimSho lives in Mass so half of those 19K miles were spent sliding along on ice and snow; no friction = no wear.

A few points to ponder:

Platinum IS proven to be faster; there are scientific theorems that prove that. Black cars are sometimes percieved to be faster becasue they catch up with so much dirt.

I have about 6800 miles, have just had a few (of the usual) minor issues, am very happy and would buy it again in a second. 11 months, two simple warranty/recall visits to a very competent dealer.

Buy it, have some fun, support the UAW, pick your reason....

Doug

NIK
04-18-05, 09:53 AM

Approx 6K miles on my '05 with absolutely no problems - no noises, clunks, vibrations, etc. My only question is HOW THE HELL DO YOU STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL F-1'S AT 19,000 MILES? The only complaint I have about the car is the mileage (or lack of it) received on the F-1's. What's your secret? (And, no, I don't do burn-outs or test the G-Meter.)

Z06CTSV
04-18-05, 10:59 AM
Love my V...

No serious problems: 16,000 miles

Diff. had a small leak - easy half day fix @ dealer

2 of the tires lasted 13,000 miles - normal for ultra performance tires

I too, wish it had an auto tranny - it's my daily driver, my z is for fun

Good Luck,
Joe
New Orleans

globed70
04-18-05, 11:30 AM
Close to 10,000 miles, bought in Feb 2004. A few recalls, same as others. F1s lasted less than 7,000 miles. Rear diff gave itself up around 8,800 miles. Other than those common issues, the V is holding up well. It is an absolute blast to drive. I had an M5, and the V compares very well in terms of performance and fun (actually a bit more fun than the Bimmer). Depreciation in the car market is pretty nasty right now, the V is a good deal used (they're going for under 40k). If you buy right, I think there is some firmness in the low 30s, so you won't have much to lose.

alcindus
04-18-05, 11:53 AM
I boughy my v last may 2004 , have 19000 miles on her. has not been to shop for any recalls. only one accident.no traction control , lost control , spun out broke rear end. please advise me of these recalls.
Thanks

Kels55
04-18-05, 02:08 PM
I have almost 30K on my V and the only problem is the differential. Either do not buy a V until Cadillac fixes the differential problem, or buy a V but expect to replace the differential eventually.

I can't say that I have ever loved a car more than my CTS-V, but I am getting tired of worrying about the differential and what the next problem it will cause.

thebigjimsho
04-18-05, 02:49 PM
Remember BigJimSho lives in Mass so half of those 19K miles were spent sliding along on ice and snow; no friction = no wear.

A few points to ponder:

Platinum IS proven to be faster; there are scientific theorems that prove that. Black cars are sometimes percieved to be faster becasue they catch up with so much dirt.

DougI won't question your theory, we all know you are the master of friction.:bouncy:

As for cold weather, I've only put on about 3,000 miles since the fall. Plus, I have some autocross miles on there as well.

Take whatever scientific theorems about Platinum being faster, it's a proven fact that the Black Ravens would run circles around those Silver Sloths on a road course.

Don't worry, I won't hold your emotionally charged statements against you.

MLV
04-18-05, 11:12 PM
I have one of the first ones off the production line, I think, Jan 22, 2004 production date. Over 12,000 miles with no serious problems. Run flats lasted about 8,600 miles, due to hot roads in Florida maybe. Had to replace differential due to dealer failing to include the additive when changing fluids. It's a great car and too much fun to worry about the problems so far.

Harley Guy
04-18-05, 11:26 PM
Bought my 05 in August 04. I have about 8k miles on it. Still got the F-1's , but they are going. I had a sunroof controller fail and it was a pain to get fixed. All is well now. This car is always fun to drive and as I have said many time before on this forum, I have never seen another on on the road! I love that you do not see this car every time you drive down the street like some of the German iron.

SoCalV
04-18-05, 11:51 PM
Diver110, great thread but I didn't catch any referrence to the stick in traffic. Oct '04 purchase of an '05. 12,500 miles. Around 2,500/month. I'm in freaking LA traffic doing 3,000 minutes on the cell phone and I'd buy another one of these V's in a heartbeat. With the torque this has I just slip it in and out of 3rd gear, matching revs without the clutch. Works well in the 17-whatever MPH range. I use 2nd if slower than 20ish to match the revs. It clicks in pretty smoothly once you get the hang of it. But let's face it. It loves to go to the home depot at 6 AM on the weekend!:devil:

Dennisscars
04-19-05, 01:10 AM
The reason black cars are slower is because they carry around all that dirt that seems to jump on them as they go by...

"A black car is killer, if someone else is washing it..." dennis-ism

diver110
04-19-05, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I actually drove a stick for years (Z's, 911), so I am not sure what my hang up was. I guess I did not want to spend 50K and find out I did not like it. The V does have great torque. I am not unhappy with my 2001 BMW iasp, but a V would blow it away. Anyone want to lend me their car for a week and see if I can get used to a stick again? No? Gee what a surprise.

SOCAL, if I understand you correctly, you just go in and out of third gear when in traffic? Do you have a hands-free cell?

Vrocks
04-19-05, 03:35 PM
Leased in March of 2004.
13,000 miles

Recalls performed ( I think the '05's were exempt from these ):
Lower control arm Washer
Fuel feed jumper pipe assembly

Other than the minor recall I've had Zero problems.