: Coolant Temp Light + Overheat

kmhebert
04-17-05, 04:37 PM
Hi everyone, well, i had an unfortunate incident on the highway today. I was coming back from Boston on I-90 (Mass Turnpike) going maybe 65-70mph or so. The "Coolant Temp" light came on and I decided not to take any chances so I pulled over. After I came to a stop coolant came gushing out of the overflow hose on the reserve tank, and it was boiling. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif I let it cool off for about 1/2 an hour, then all the coolant in the reserve tank got sucked back up into the radiator. I added some more and eventually made it back home, probably another 50 miles or so, going about 55mph and with the heat on "HI" and 90 degrees and all the windows open. No problems on the way back fortunately, I didn't want to have to get towed.

Any advice on how to prevent this from happening? I did overheat once before on the way to Albany NY, last year. At the time I flushed the radiator and added new coolant; no problems since then until today. Is this something I will have to live with, or is there a common problem that I might be able to fix to make it better? Any advice is all always much appreciated.

Big_Blue
04-17-05, 09:21 PM
Change your T stat and flush the system with a garden hose.

Did your car make anynoise at all or when was the last time you had your belts changed? cause old belts tend to stretch during hot days and when they slip around pulleys then dont allow the water pump to turn enough to keep fluid moving. Those are the only 2 things that I know of that can cause your car to overheat like that at highways speeds

kmhebert
04-18-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the advice Big Blue; I will give it a shot. It's demoralizing of course, being stuck on the side of the highway etc. At least it was a nice day right?