: Head Bolt Threads - Bonneville Northstar

rbb
09-30-13, 01:55 PM
Hi there,
I have a question about my northstar engine in the 2005 pontiac bonneville. I disaseembled my engine because of a broken intake valve. After I removed the heads, I cleaned up the head gasket surface, and poured mineral spirits into the head bolt holes. Then I used a brass wire brush to clean out the threads. What came out when I flipped the block around were a few flecks of aluminum, the same size as when you might go gold panning.
I'm not trying to be silly, but I really want to know if I should proceed to time-sert the head boltr holes after seeing these flecks? The head bolts have no aluminum on them, and they look like they could be used again.
Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.
Ryan

Ranger
09-30-13, 02:24 PM
Think about the friction applied between the steel & aluminum threads when torquing down the heads. I'm no expert, but I think that is normal and nothing to worry about.

stoveguyy
10-01-13, 09:49 AM
Headbolts have special sealer applied to them. Steel bolts/alum block. GM sez replace headbolts.

rbb
04-02-14, 09:20 AM
After I thoroughly cleaned the head bolt holes and ran the new head bolts in and out several times, the new head gaskets are holding well. It's been over 1000kms. Thanks!

97EldoCoupe
04-02-14, 11:34 AM
My 04 GXP had a dropped valve. Valve spring snapped, valve dropped.

If you need any parts or studs, let us know.

Love the GXP's, I might be buying another one again in a couple weeks. Black on black leather

big greg
04-03-14, 02:30 PM
My 04 GXP had a dropped valve. Valve spring snapped, valve dropped.

If you need any parts or studs, let us know.

Love the GXP's, I might be buying another one again in a couple weeks. Black on black leather

It's the only bonne worth owning!