: The other shifter bushings

ronr
09-29-13, 09:08 PM
When I pulled my transmission I found that the shifter bushing on the drivers side of the transmission on the rod end nearest the transmission (as opposed to the ones typically worn out and replaced nearest the shifter itself) was worn and had excessive play. As a consequence I was having occasional difficulty getting the car into first and more frequently, normally when downshifting to 2nd, it would not fully engage 2nd and pop out of gear when I engaged the clutch.

When the guys at RPM tore down my trans they found that this was causing excessive wear on the 1-2 gear/synchro and it was nearing failure. I forgot to take a picture of the part but the teeth where it engages were worn about half way through.

I decided to replace the rubber bushings and steel inserts with solid bronze bushings.

fweasel
09-30-13, 12:27 AM
Car back together yet? Interested if you feel any physical difference in the shifter movement, or lack there of, after those were put in. Where did you get the bushings from?

ronr
09-30-13, 03:35 AM
Sadly no, it's not back together yet. The tranny came out because what I thought was a blown head gasket turned out to be a cracked block. :crying:

This was part of getting the driveline ready for what I plan on doing under the hood :sneaky:

Made the bushings myself, or more correctly my retired tool and die maker father cranked them out.

fweasel
09-30-13, 10:26 AM
Sounds like an expensive project. Nice to have a machinist in the family though.

ronr
09-30-13, 12:20 PM
Sounds like an expensive project. Nice to have a machinist in the family though.

Indeed. Also have a friend at Comp Cams so go fast goodies are on their way! Now I just need to find a deal on bearings, rings, studs... (I've got a used LSA short block on it's way way also :) )

IdriveaV
09-30-13, 05:37 PM
Sadly no, it's not back together yet. The tranny came out because what I thought was a blown head gasket turned out to be a cracked block. :crying:

This was part of getting the driveline ready for what I plan on doing under the hood :sneaky:

Made the bushings myself, or more correctly my retired tool and die maker father cranked them out.

Where was the block cracked?
I just had my cylinder 3 crack along with the piston chip

ronr
10-01-13, 09:50 AM
Where was the block cracked?
I just had my cylinder 3 crack along with the piston chip

Same here but cylinder 1. The crack runs up and down the cylinder bore and between the water jacket and cylinder. You can see the piston chip in the attached pic.