: '93 FWB issues

caddycruiser
04-17-05, 12:01 AM
After the '93 FWB got a new EGR valve and solenoid in January, all was well, and it was running like a top. Then when I was back a few weeks ago, I noticed one new issue and my father recently told me about another:

-When the engine is warm/hot, i.e. you were just out driving, and you park and shut it off, if you have to get back in and re-start it in the next 20 or so minutes while it's still hot, it fires immediately, but then stumbles badly for about 2 secs like it's about to stall, shakes a tad, and then idles fine. Feels like something is off to make it stumble when hot like this, and then the computer tries to immediately compensate by straightening it out. Runs fine afterwards, and seems intermitant about doing it repeatedly in the same day.

-For whatever reason, when cruising on the highway to get it inspected last week, going from 55-60mph, the light came on to say it was overheating. He apparently stopped and checked everything which seemed fine, turned it off and then back on again, and it didn't happen. Told me it seemed a little warm under the hood, but nothing unusual. It's been driven several times since then, and hasn't done it again--but made him worry.

Any idea what might be causing either of these "hot" time issues? The stumbling was one thing, but the odd overheating warning on a cool day at low speeds just seems strange.

Oh, and by the way, the car just turned over 100k while I'm not there...and no one took a picture of the odo... :(

caddycruiser
04-17-05, 03:15 AM
Bump :bouncy:

brougham
04-17-05, 03:31 AM
Bump :bouncy:

:wacky:

caddycruiser
04-17-05, 01:49 PM
Haha....okay, really, anyone have a clue about what might be causing this?

Big_Blue
04-17-05, 10:55 PM
The first problem sounds like plugs or wires starting to go bad or bad already. Stumbles in the motor normally points to spark plugs getting old. The second problem could be your coolant temp sensor is getting flaky you should chk it out or just change it period.

** Off Topic***

I knew a guy with a oil temp sensor so bad that when we uplugged it. The oil starting coming out of it and it shot out when the car was running.

caddycruiser
04-17-05, 11:10 PM
Well, talked to him again tonight and he said the overheat light has never come on again except for that one time, but it still was doing the stumble thing occasionally.

Said he changed the oil and greased everything today, and when he started it afterwards, it seems to be surging very slightly up and down while it idled. From my experience, I remember it having done this before when I let it sit running, so could this be the same issue as the stumbling at crank?

Big_Blue
04-17-05, 11:21 PM
Yes
One of your plugs is misfiring to a small degree. Chk the wires and plugs. It doesnt hurt to change them all and re set the timing again to factory standards.

codewize
04-17-05, 11:54 PM
All of the above is excellant advice. Owning the same car I do have a couple tid bits of info.

ON the idleing. If the oil level is low I noticed rather than ticking or anything else the car runs rough like the lifters cant stay pumpped up. Just an observation from my end.

On the overheating it sounds almost like air trapped in the coolant system. Has the radiator been changed or flushed lately. Has it be run real low on coolent and not filled properly.

Of course I guess it coule be something as simple as the fans didn't come on when they were supposed to or the thermostat starting to stick.

Just a couple of additional ideas

Mine has 165k on it

caddycruiser
04-17-05, 11:56 PM
That's what I've been telling him for the past year, especially since the car just hit 100k exactly a few weeks ago. For some reason, though he's quite savvy with car repair, he's hesitant to think the car needs new spark plugs, and absolutely refuses to believe why anyone would changes the wires. :cookoo:

This is clearly the issue, so I might have to take it upon myself to get the job done when I get back in a few weeks. :cool: